17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 22, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Good for her. Freaking judge makes her a victim twice.

17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers

2. 184550 Guest

For a criminal justice system to work, both parties have to abide by the agreed upon terms.

If she didn't like the plea deal, she should have had her lawyers reject it.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Maybe you're confused about the criminal justice system. But the prosecutors don't always have to get approval from the victim before agreeing to a plea deal. I'm not sure where her lawyers would come in.

From the article:

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

However:

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's awful what happened to her, but the justice system takes time. Bad move by a girl from the generation (mine) that has no patience in a world of instant results....

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You're right. The 17 year old victim of rape - by apparently more than 1 person - should have more patience. :rolleyes:

This woman will be effected by this her entire life. I can assure you, she knows there is no such thing as "instant results".

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is "first-degree sexual abuse" what they are calling rape down there now? :confused:

Sounds like weasel-words to me, in an effort to make the crime seem less abhorrent.:mad:

8. 184550 Guest

Ignorance is an excuse? :confused:

If something like that had happened to me or my daughter, I would have been in my lawyers office every single day waiting for an update.​

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What in the hell are you getting on my case about? I never took anything from the horror she went through, that is not what this thread is about. I commented on her Twitter posting, not the disgusting thing the accused have done.

There is a thing, that while it is maddeningly slow for the victims, called due process that must occur for a case to be done properly and airtight. As much as we'd love to lock up the man behind the recent massacre for life today, the court process must occur for justice to actually mean something.

Again, I have no idea what the sarcastic eye roll is for, this crime is unthinkably heinous. Luckily the justice system is, by design, removed from emotion so that it isn't simply revenge. Unfortunately that does take time.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Always the unfortunate result of plea deals in sexual assault cases.

Sure. Blame the victim and her family. Again, they can be in there every day and the prosecutor STILL doesn't have to get approval.

I work with a man whose 15 year old was raped by a family friend. They showed up to his court date (and I can assure you, he spoke daily with someone in the DA's office) only to find out a plea had been reached. She was so upset, she didn't stay in the courtroom to hear the details of the plea. His family had absolutely no recourse - they have no power to get a redo on a plea deal.

And for goodness sakes, just admit you were wrong and you didn't actually read the OP before commenting.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

She shouldn't have done that, but I understand why she did it. Her name is all over the papers and she is a minor. Why should her attackers have their names hidden? Hopefully, the judge will go easy on her.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Did you read the OP??

A plea deal was reached which so had no control over. The case is over. Due process is for the accused - and they got it. She, however, had no control over the deal that was reached "on her behalf". She's protesting that sh**. Good for her.

So please tell me where she was showing no patience?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Almost my thoughts, word for word.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Women are expendable, and court dockets are full.

Next case please.

:rolleyes:

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack."

Does it indicate anywhere that she knows what the sentencing will be?

Now if we want to have a discussion about prosecutors doing a **** job and just racking up a win on their resume we can, but putting the boys' names up on Twitter is not protesting this -->

" She, however, had no control over the deal that was reached "on her behalf". She's protesting that sh**."

She was getting the boys' names out there (and I really don't blame her at all, emotionally speaking) before the case is actually over (sentencing).

So I think we are actually talking about two different aspects of the same case, but again please do not talk to me as if I have caused this poor young woman harm or in anyway am standing up for the two presumed dirtbags, I just want the justice system to be able to function the way it was intended.

Can we calm down now?

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

:confused:

I'm calm.

Again, I think it's quite condescending to infer that this girl has no patience because she is in "your" generation.

The sentencing notwithstanding, imagine if once again, as a victim of a crime, control was taken away from you.

This case is probably one of many examples of the Justice System not functioning as it was intended.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just how is this court order worded down there?

Up here it is referred to a "publication ban", which leaves the word 'publication' open to interpretation. Newspapers and electronic media have to comply, but I am less sure about the Internet.

What if she hid her tracks, would Twitter get the ****-end of the stick? And what of the service provider?

Maybe she should have just gone around town, and written their names on the stall walls of woman's washrooms.

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Shouldn't have done that?

There's NOTHING she could have done to them that I would condemn. Least of all this.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The justice system was designed to give results before cases are finalized (that means sentencing)? Since when?

The whole point is that even if it happens to me, I don't have any say in the results other than to tell the truth of what happened (because odds are I'd want whoever wronged me to burn in hell). That is what separates careful, reasoned, justice from irrational revenge.

It's not always perfect, but if we let emotion control the process then we might as well just start mob justice as the main means of recourse.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

That isn't what I meant - when a plea deal is reached - and you know they plead to a lesser "crime" than they actually committed - is Justice really served? These jurisdictions - and it happens everywhere - are so overworked that they have no problem - and no thought of the victim in mind - when they reach some of these plea agreements. They don't do it for "justice" - they are doing it to clear their desks. If you think otherwise, you're naive.

So if you're sister or friend was raped - you would be ok with a deal lowering the charge from rape to some type of "sexual abuse" - what they are specifically convicted of can have an effect on how long they have to register as a sex offender. It's not just semantics.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Clearly we've been talking about two different things the whole time.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, one of you has been, for sure.

If you can't hold "justice" up to ridicule, what hope is there?

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It seems.

You're saying she showed impatience because the case is not yet over?? I think?

And my point is that she was protesting the fact that a plea deal was reached - not how long it takes for "justice". I'm sure she would have traded the time a trial took if it meant real justice. Unfortunately, she wasn't given any say.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, I think that she shouldn't have done that since the court ordered for her attackers names' to not be published.

That said, I hope she doesn't get a harsh penalty from the judge.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

On the first point, yes, I was speaking more broadly about the justice system in general abstracted away from this case (meaning in a vacuum). Note that does not mean that I don't feel for her, I can't imagine what she must be going through every day.

As for your point, I agree our system is completely swamped (which just so happens as over two hundred justices and department heads are being blocked by the House...wonder why?:rolleyes::mad:) which results in such piss poor not-in-the-interest-of-the-victims results.

If we as a country cared for justice we wouldn't stand by as we keep letting the GOP keep whittling away at the justice system simply because they are "gubmint workers!".

I hope you can see we were just talking slightly passed each other for a while there, but seem to be generally in agreement. :)

----------

I think we can all agree on this.

I'd hope for some type of official sounding scolding that doesn't carry any real world consequences.