Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Indie developer Dong Nguyen has achieved an App Store first -- he has three apps in Apple's Top Free Apps list including the viral hit Flappy Bird [Direct Link], the now #2 Super Ball Juggling [Direct Link] and the #8 Shuriken Block [Direct Link]. Dong is unable to explain his recent success, chalking it up to luck and not any particular effort on his part. As a result, it likely wasn't Dong's activity but the power of the social Internet that propelled his games to the upper echelon of the App Store.

flappy-bird.jpg
Dong notes in an interview with Elaine Heney of Chocolate Lab Apps (via TechCrunch) that he did zero promotion for Flappy Bird and claims he doesn't even own the social network accounts for the app.
"I didn't use any promotion methods. All accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram about Flappy Bird are not mine. The popularity could be my luck."
What Heney did notice about Flappy Birds was a viral campaign to write the best review for the game. As a result of this challenge, the app now has over 47,000 reviews and almost a half a million ratings. These statistics put Flappy Bird on par with powerhouse apps like Evernote and Gmail.

Flappy Bird launched in May 2013 and only recently topped the iOS App Store charts. The app challenges players to keep a flying bird from running into pipes by tapping the screen. Its 8-bit graphics give the appearance of simplicity, but it is a deceptively difficult game that is so hard to master that most people score in the single digits and brag about their failure. Dong's other two hits are equally basic and are likely receiving attention due to the popularity of Flappy Bird.

Article Link: Social Sharing Sends 'Flappy Bird' Developer to Top of the iOS App Store

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I got 5 points. It took many sleepless nights and calling in sick to work. But I did it, I DID IT!

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
PewDiePie on you tube has been playing it - and with his millions of subscribers.........

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
PewDiePie on you tube has been playing it - and with his millions of subscribers.........

Wikipedia: "His channel is one of the fastest growing YouTube channels, having grown from 3.5 million subscribers to 18 million in the space of 2013 alone, and as of January 2014 has over 21 million subscribers. Since August 2013, PewDiePie's channel has been the most subscribed channel on YouTube, being surpassed briefly in November and December 2013, by YouTube's Spotlight channel."

BrodieQ

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hit detection seems just slightly off, but I still managed 23. Can't say it's fun, but it certainly is addictive.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
When I read the reviews I decided not to get it.

In essence they all say, "this game really pisses me off, but I have to keep playing it."

It made me afraid, very afraid.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got 29 at one point and it drives me craaaaaazy to be below 30 and i hate myself for it cuz the game literally has no point

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
The game is much easier on an Android device and for some reason has smoother graphics.

That being said, I've been playing it on my iPhone for about a week now thanks to hearing about it on twitter and I got 88! :cool:

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
1 - Rip off another popular franchise gameplay concept (Tiny Wings)
2 - Rip off Super Mario World graphics
3 - ?
4 - Profit

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I have wasted so much time on this game. I hate it. My high score is 22.

Apparently one of the ways it is attractive is how the players all hate it, and loudly proclaim how much they hate it, and keep writing reviews that try to top others in how they hate it and how it affected their lives... :D

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I really don't understand how this game got so popular. It's an unplayable version of Copter and doesn't even have retina graphics.

Get Jetpack Joyride instead.

Last week, Someone posted an hilarious review of this game on Reddit, which made the front page. From that day forward, popularity seemingly exploded. Now there's articles here, at cnet, and even the main US networks had articles on their news pages about this game.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Except the gameplay is nothing like Tiny Wings

Ok then I stand corrected. For some reason I thought it was, maybe I was not the only one who was confused? This kind of confusion certainly helped sell more copies.

The ripping off Super Mario World graphics part still stands though.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The game is much easier on an Android device and for some reason has smoother graphics.

That being said, I've been playing it on my iPhone for about a week now thanks to hearing about it on twitter and I got 88! :cool:

really? i just tried it on my nexus and i cant even get it to fly LOL its either up way too high in the sky or crashes on the ground. also wheb i double tap too quickly it zooms my whole screen. back to the iPhone ^^

Last edited:

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
really? i just tried it on my nexus and i cant even get it to fly LOL its either up way too high in the sky or crashes on the ground. back to the iPhone ^^

I'm using a Dell Venue 7 tablet but primarily play on my iPhone 5S because I don't use my android tablet much, but for me it's much easier on the Android tablet.

The only reason I broke out the tablet was because the dev said it was easier via twitter.

https://twitter.com/dongatory/status/428363898920529920

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.