Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 6 will reportedly gain a "bezel-free" display when it launches later this year, according to a report from The Korea Herald focusing on both the next-generation iPhone and Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone.

iphone_5s_6_sizes_no_bezel.jpg
Mockup of iPhone 5s compared to larger bezel-free 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 sizes
No significant details about Apple's plans for the iPhone 6 are shared in the report, with the majority of it focused on the Galaxy S5 and only a few sentences noting that Apple is working on a "similar" prototype with bezel-free display and fingerprint sensor. Samsung will reportedly be using a more standard fingerprint sensor than the display-wide fingerprint scanner or iris scanner that had previously been rumored for the device.
"Scanning fingerprints on the entire screen, which was much talked about recently, will be available in the latter half of this year as there are still technological hurdles to overcome," [the source] added, hinting that the production yield for the full-screen fingerprint scanner is still far from satisfactory.

The source said that Samsung's top rival Apple is also testing a similar prototype sporting a bezel-less screen that features a fingerprint scanner.
Last November, Bloomberg reported that the iPhone 6 was planned to feature a larger display with "glass that curves downward at the edges", perhaps alluding to a bezel-less design in which the edge of the device is formed by the display glass itself rather than a separate bezel. A report last month from The Wall Street Journal claimed that the iPhone 6 "won't include a curved display", but it is possible that both reports could be correct if the design were to include a flat display panel fused to glass (or sapphire) cover that curved at the edges.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Said to Adopt 'Bezel-Free' Display

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
If this is correct, I think I can deal with that. I don't want a bigger phone, but the bezel-free 4.7" phone wouldn't be much bigger than the 5/5S.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
I think this will look good, and it works well for a phone, which you can hold in one hand. I don't think the same would be true for the iPad, though (maybe the Mini - definitely not the Air).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Wonder if the stiffness of the cage gets compromised. I'll make sure to buy Apple care with this one.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
These rumors have been around since the iPhone 4. And I've always said "Yes please!"

So I'll say it again, I'd love to have it, but I doubt it'll happen just because of how many times these predictions have been made and been wrong.

At the same time, that accidental touch theory for why it hasn't happened doesn't make much sense to me. Nobody holds the iPhone by the existing bezel - it's much too small as is. It's just an eyesore that needs to be done away with.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I will believe it when parts start leaking

I'm with you on this one. Regarding bezels in particular, every new product that claims not to have them.. ends up having them. "Edge to edge screen" usually translates to "edge to edge glass," which the iPhone already has. But, I'd be plenty happy with a slightly slimmer bezel and a slightly slimmer phone with a slightly faster processor, as I usually am.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Apple releases iPhone with bigger screen: 'APPLE ARE COPYING SAMSUNG :mad:'
Samsung releases phone with finger print scanner: 'SEE! THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE IPHONE.' :mad:'

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
If it is truly bezel free, how could you put a decent case on it without covering up part of the screen??

wouwout

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Sydney
mockup is silly, top and bottom will be smaller as well. There are some "bezel-less" (in reality small bezels) phones out there already, like the LG G2 - which moved the button and volume control to the back because of small bezels

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i doubt they will step away from the fingerprint sensor in the homebutton already. they probably spent lots of R&D on it plus they will try to milk it a little with next iPad getting the homebutton sensore next followed by a touch screen fingerprint sensor maybe on the iPhone 6S

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Why do I feel like the same rumors are being recycled? They really need to beef up the phone if they're going to do a design with no bezel. I'm sick of being required to buy a case to keep my phone in good shape. I can handle small dings or scratches but one major drop with all this glass and your phone is f*cked.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
A report last month from The Wall Street Journal claimed that the iPhone 6 "won't include a curved display", but it is possible that both reports could be correct if the design were to include a flat display panel fused to glass (or sapphire) cover that curved at the edges.

Wouldn't that make the glass/sapphire act as a lens?

JohnMantooth

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
New York, NY
Like emjaycee said... I don't know how this will work with cases. Except for super slim cases, most cases come over the edges of the phone a bit. I could also see a lot of accidental contact/interaction with the screen, just by the nature of holding a phone and your skin touching the edges.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
I don't want bezel free. How am I going to put a case on? I like the raised rim protector cases to keep my screen from being flat on a table as my phone lives face down on my desk all day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.