Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A bust of Steve Jobs by famed Serbian sculptor Dragan Radenovic was unveiled in Belgrade today, the result of a competition covering more than 10,000 submitted works that will see the statue placed at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino.

The statue unveiled today is a maquette, a sculpture substantially smaller than the final version for demonstration purposes, that features Jobs' head at the top, with a pair of Cyrillic letters, the Latin letter A, and the binary digits one and zero. According to a report in the Serbian press [Google Translate], sketches of the proposed statue were sent to Apple executives, who said they were very interested in the sculpture and liked "the imperfections of his work".

jobsstatue.jpg
The statue features three letters, including the latin letter A, an older Serbian cyrillic letter similar to E from the Miroslav Gospel, and a cyrillic letter ? at the bottom serving as an anchor for the statue. The sculptor, as translated by a MacRumors reader, described his letter choice as representative of a sort of "magnet".
I wanted to present some of the recognizable Serbian motifs such as a letter ? which is the last letter of the Serbian alphabet and Apple rather liked the idea. I've also placed the Latin letter A and binary code 0.1 too. I've wanted it all to represent a sort of "magnet".
The sculptor will head to Apple HQ next to discuss the final version of the statue, which will be approximately 3 to 5 meters in height -- 10 to 16 feet -- and will be shipped to Cupertino upon completion.

Thanks Ivan!

Article Link: Statue Honoring Steve Jobs Destined for Apple Headquarters Unveiled in Belgrade

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Imperfect!

I wonder who amongst the executives made the comment about liking imperfections in a statue to an icon that was all about achieving perfection.

Happy-Mac

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
It's Disthinkly Different

Beauty is in the eye of the behol...

Can't say that I like i...

hmm...

That 1 and 0 combination seems a bit phallic.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Looks like they stuck Steve's head on a pike and will display it in Apple forever... what am I looking at?!??

robobox.jpg

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
So... The Cyrillic letters represent cancer and the 01 is just trying to see if we'd accept a nude statue of Jobs?

Why do I have the feeling they're Android users, laughing?

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
You don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but you can compliment it's teeth.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I wouldn't call this a statue in the title, it's a bust w/ decorations on the bottom.

Also "Abe Jobs" to anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.