Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Italian site Macitynet, which previously published several photos of a fairly good quality physical mockup of the rumored 4.7-inch iPhone 6 based on design drawings from Japanese magazine MacFan, has now shared an interesting new photo set [Google Translate] comparing the mockup to a current-generation iPod touch.

iphone_6_ipod_touch_1.jpg
The photos clearly show how similar the two devices are in design, from the curved edges on the rear shell to the style of speaker holes along the bottom edge. The iPhone 6 at 7.0 mm thick based on the design drawings is clearly thicker than the iPod touch at 6.1 mm, although the iPhone 6 would still be noticeably thinner than the iPhone 5s at 7.6 mm.

iphone_6_ipod_touch_2.jpg
The iPhone 6 of course has larger height and width than the iPod touch, given that the body must accommodate a 4.7-inch display compared to the 4-inch display of the iPod touch.

iphone_6_ipod_touch_3.jpg
The style is naturally also similar to the iPhone 5c, which itself took some design cues from the iPod touch, although the bright rear shell colors are the defining features of the iPhone 5c and they are unlikely to make their way into Apple's flagship iPhone 6.

In addition to the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, Apple is rumored to be launching an even larger model with a 5.5-inch display, although that may follow several months after the smaller version. High-quality physical mockups of that device have yet to appear, although users with access to a 3D printer can print their own using files based on the design drawings published by MacFan earlier this year.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Mockup Comparison to iPod Touch Highlights Design Similarities

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
It would be so funny if the phone didn't turn out to look like this.

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Honestly...not really revolutionary or different. I guess the upside is now the ipad, iphone and ipod touch all "match" assuming apple actually goes with this.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I like the look of the rounded corners. The size doesn't seem an issue to me. My main determining factor is the ease of one-hand use. iPhone 5/S is good but when I used a Nexus 4 I had to do an uncomfortable shift of my fingers and reach with the thumb. I hope that's not the case.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ummmm you're telling me that it took you until NOW to realize that these mockups/renders look like a larger 5th gen. iPod touch?.....

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
The iPhone 6 of course has larger height and width than the iPod touch, given that the body must accommodate a 4.7-inch display compared to the 4-inch display of the iPod touch.

So glad they made this clear!

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
4.7" is about the right size for a smartphone. I've got the Nokia Lumia 920, which is 4.5", and it's perfect. Much bigger, and it's like talking on an iPad. Smaller, and you're constantly zooming in and out.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I think this is the first year we have seen so many comparisons based on mockups. It'd be hilarious if the new phone looks totally different.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
wow.. I didn't think yet another variant on this dull comparison theme was possible. What's next? Comparing an alleged iPhone6 design to a bar of soap? :rolleyes:

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Still wondering what they'll do with the current size.
Will we be forced to use a bigger phone to get the latest hardware?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Still wondering what they'll do with the current size.
Will we be forced to use a bigger phone to get the latest hardware?

Yes, it seems that way. Which is sad, 4 ,4.7 , 5.5 seems like such a perfect line up too:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.