Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iapd-recycling-UK-250x322.jpg
Apple today is expanding its iPad trade-in program to retail stores in several European countries, including France, Germany, Spain, and the UK. As spotted by Apfelpage.de and iPhoneAddict.fr, the program allows customers to recycle older iPad models at their local Apple retail stores and provides them with credits they can use towards the purchase of new devices.

Apple launched the iPad program last month in the U.S. and Canada on Earth Day as part of a larger green initiative to help consumers recycle old iOS devices. Customers can visit Apple retail stores and trade in their iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad mini for store credit. The newer iPad Air and Retina iPad mini are not yet eligible for redemption.

The company has not revealed how much it will pay for these recycled devices in its international stores, but the pricing likely mirrors the existing trade-in program available in the U.S., with reduced prices for older devices and those in poor physical condition. Though not confirmed, Apple also may accept broken and non-working devices for free, providing a way for customers to responsibly recycle these devices.

The iPad program is similar to an existing in-store iPhone recycling program that debuted in the U.S. last August before expanding to the UK a few months later and several more European countries and Canada last month.

Article Link: Apple In-Store iPad Trade-In Program Now Available in UK, Germany, Spain and France

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
They should not be destroyed, but reused by other person. This is utterly anti-ecological.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
"We are determined, one way or another, to have 100% compliance. All of our iDevices MUST run iOS 7 or else...!" -- Tim Cook.

Philip D

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
So in Europe we are charged 40-60% more for our Apple devices compared to the US, but surprise, surprise, the recycle price in both places is the same. :p

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
May accept broken broken or non-working iPads for free?

I thought under EU recycling rules that the manufacturer has to take these types of items back at end-of-life for free (because the customer paid for this ability in the purchase price); isn't this the case?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
May accept broken broken or non-working iPads for free?

I thought under EU recycling rules that the manufacturer has to take these types of items back at end-of-life for free (because the customer paid for this ability in the purchase price); isn't this the case?

Yes. Actually I think that you can take it to any retailer for recycling, doesn't have to be the manufacturer or even the store you bought it from.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
So in Europe we are charged 40-60% more for our Apple devices compared to the US

you know, every time an iPad is sold overseas, an olympic swimmer is dispatched with 1 piece to replenish the stock. this is behind the 40%. :D

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
So in Europe we are charged 40-60% more for our Apple devices compared to the US, but surprise, surprise, the recycle price in both places is the same. :p

Its stupid - they use the EU as a tax haven and yet they try to sell there products for much more and complain why they struggle to get a larger market share - over-prized
Mind you all the US companies do it :mad:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Big lesson learned...

I traded in my 2 iPhone 4's to Verizon when I got my iPhone 5s's. They calculated that I would get $125 each for them. That was back when the 5s first came out. I still haven't received any money for the phones I sent to them.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Don't delay! Act now! Jimmy Iovine and Angela Ahrendts will be on hand personally to accept your trade-in and give you a credit slip for $15!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
We have a better recycle program...

I get a new iPad or iPhone
My old iPad or iPhone goes to my 11-year-old daughter
Her old iPad or iPhone goes to her 5-year-old sister

Works great and everyone stays happy. However, next upgrade we may have to figure out where to sell 5-year-old's iDevices.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

Works great and everyone stays happy. However, next upgrade we may have to figure out where to sell 5-year-old's iDevices.

Fantastic program!

If you don't need the extra money, perhaps the 5-year-old's iOS devices can be donated to a local library or school. I'm sure they would love to have them.

In any case, kudos to you for being a smart consumer AND a great dad!

DriedTurnip

macrumors member
May 28, 2013
DPRK

I'm the same, can't be bothered with the hassle of selling devices but I budget for a new iPad every year if it has enough 'new' to warrant it.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Is it worth it

I wonder what I could get for my iPad 2 at Apple vs. private sale? :confused:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Isnt this where they give you like ten bucks for an ip4?

When I traded in my 4s for a 5s I got $210. That was about $10 more than on other trade-in sites but probably about $40 less than on eBay. However, it was a lot less hassle.

----------

They should not be destroyed, but reused by other person. This is utterly anti-ecological.

I do not think the article said anything about destroying. In most cases, apple will refurbish and resell the product. If it is too far-gone, Apple does a good job of recycling the parts. Even Greenpeace has given apple high marks.

----------

My suggestion is to have another child so that you can keep the program going. Otherwise you cannot buy another device as it would destroy such a great program :D

MontyC

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
London Uk
4S or 5C/S

So, just back from Apple Store with a 4S which to see what I would get for trade in. As the phone is not working fully (screen is fine and it functions fine but power and volume buttons don't work).

I was told I would get about £60 for it under the trade in program (if I bought a new 5C or 5S). Or, I could make an appointment and for £159 can get a new 4S.

What would you do? eBay is always an option but as the phone is not working fully, I am not sure what I would get for it.

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014

This is ok for now, but won't work forever....
5 year old won't stay 5, and will one day turn round and say, why am I always getting the old out of date stuff?? Tantrums will follow etc etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.