Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently began cracking down on fake reviews in the App Store, a widespread problem that can affect both App Store rankings and Top Charts. According to research done by TechCrunch, Apple appears to have started removing false reviews earlier this year.

One app, Better Fonts Free, which is described by TechCrunch as "spammy," saw thousands of its June ratings disappear overnight. While the app has just 4,000 reviews at the current point in time, it previously had more than 20,000. Developers have no way to remove reviews, which means the fake reviews were pulled by Apple.

fakereviews1.jpg
Instead, what happened is that Apple did step in to remove this app's ratings due to attempts by the developer to game the system. What's more, this is not the first time the company has done this, we now understand.

In fact, any time Apple finds credible evidence of ratings fraud or manipulation, it can and "often" does take action to remove the ratings associated with that activity.
There are several websites and marketing services that allow developers to purchase fake five-star reviews in an attempt to game the App Store charts, improving their rankings and their downloads. Apple has warned against these practices in the past, suggesting that developers who utilize services to manipulate their App Store rankings could be banned from Apple's developer program, so it is no surprise that the company has been quietly removing fake reviews.

It is unclear how Apple determines which reviews are false, but as anyone who has stumbled across a fake review in the App Store knows, they are often easy to spot. Most fake reviews use the same general wording, structure, and punctuation, in addition to being overly positive. The reviews below come from a low-quality highly-ranked app that has a perfect five star rating.

fakereviews2.jpg
Apple has made several changes to the App Store in recent months with the aim of improving app discoverability. In late 2013, the App Store began compensating for small typos and misspellings and the company also implemented changes to the way apps are ranked for the Top Charts.

Just yesterday, Apple added a new 'Browse by Category' section ahead of major improvements being introduced to the App Store with iOS 8, including a new "Explore" tab and a search overhaul that includes trending and related searches.

Article Link: Apple Cracking Down on Fake App Store Reviews

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
This is really good news. There are often so many clearly fake reviews for apps.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I don't know their rules now, but to me it seems for posting a review or rating an app, at least two things must exist:

1. The reviewer must have purchased that app with the apple ID they are reviewing.

2. Only one review per apple id/credit card number

Also, a review should be revoked if a refund has been issued. A max number of reviews per IP address and/or name/billing address would help too.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
I don't know their rules now, but to me it seems for posting a review or rating an app, at least two things must exist:

1. The reviewer must have purchased that app with the apple ID they are reviewing.

Also, a review should be revoked if a refund has been issued. A max number of reviews per IP address and/or name/billing address would help too.

I think they have rule one already on the MAS.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013

Yes I was correct.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 2.15.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 2.15.07 PM.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 943

xoAnna

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Planet Earth…
Very happy to see this finally taking effect! Fake reviews/reviewers are the worst - I never download an app without first reading a bunch of its reviews, both good and the bad ones and then I weigh the negative vs positive opinions so as to make a sound buying decision (obviously)…so just to reiterate I’m enthused to see Apple taking this sort of thing seriously. :) Now, if only Yelp would follow suit… :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Trying to stop astroturf reviewers is like shoveling against the tide. We as consumers have to understand that crowd-sourced online reviews are fundamentally of no value.

Bring back the professional reviewer with knowledge, a track record, and a reputation.

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
To leave a review on the Mac App Store you must have actually purchased the app. I don't see why they don't implement the same rule on the other stores. Looking at a book on Pre-Order that doesn't come out for months and it has hundreds of "reviews". Not helpful.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Gotta love the wording in that ad, "Buy 100% Real iPhone App Reviews". I mean if you pay for them they are 100% fake, no?

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
To leave a review on the Mac App Store you must have actually purchased the app. I don't see why they don't implement the same rule on the other stores. Looking at a book on Pre-Order that doesn't come out for months and it has hundreds of "reviews". Not helpful.

Does not matter. You pay for the review agency, then the agency buy the app in masses, then they register batch of Apple ID to make review. This has been done and will continue doing so, there is not much Apple can do beside massive deletion of reviews and banning associate Apple ID.

johnmarshall4

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
This is really dumb. Developers that buy fake reviews are in clear violation of the developer agreement. Apple should not be spending time & energy removing fake reviews, instead they should warn the developer once, then kick them off the App Store!

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I'd rather Apple showed the slightest interest in quality control. Anything that appears on the App Store really should have that Cupertino Ring of Confidence to it.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Trying to stop astroturf reviewers is like shoveling against the tide. We as consumers have to understand that crowd-sourced online reviews are fundamentally of no value.

They may be able to throw some AI at the problem, there may be some patterns that are common among these reviews, and so on.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Pfft. Fake reviews always, always stick out like a sore thumb. They're always over exaggerated and say things no customer would ever say. If an app has lots of these kinds of reviews, don't buy/download it.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Is self-advertisement allowed on these forums...?

This is why we have launched SmoothReviews.com. It allows developers to compete with cheaters like "Better Fonts Free" by getting free, honest app reviews from other developers. You get a review for each review you contribute to the community. Reviews are honest and there is no requirement for whether the review is positive or negative.

----------

Or even better, they should make it so you're only allowed to leave a review if it's been a week since you purchased it. That way, people have to remember and WANT to leave a review before doing so meaning there'd be more 'honest' reviews. Also the fact that it would make fake reviews near impossible because they wouldn't be able to post reviews so quickly.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Is self-advertisement allowed on these forums...?

----------

Or even better, they should make it so you're only allowed to leave a review if it's been a week since you purchased it. That way, people have to remember and WANT to leave a review before doing so meaning there'd be more 'honest' reviews. Also the fact that it would make fake reviews near impossible because they wouldn't be able to post reviews so quickly.

Was wondering the same thing. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.