Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will reportedly have enough sapphire glass for both of its iPhone 6 models as well as the iWatch in 2014, based on the latest supply chain check at the company's sapphire glass manufacturing partner GT Advanced done by analyst Matt Margolis for Seeking Alpha (via GforGames).
As a result of my most recent supply chain check I believe that the Mesa sapphire operations will have ample supply to cover the iWatch, the 4.7" iPhone and the 5.5" iPhone with full sapphire cover glass in 2014. Additionally, the maximum sapphire screen capacity of the Mesa facility is likely to exceed 200m annual units.
Margolis notes that GT Advanced has installed more than 2,500 furnaces and is expected to work with sapphire boules that weigh between 200 and 235 kg. The plant is waiting for its final prepayment from Apple in order to finish construction and secure equipment, which is expected to be received by the end of this month.

sapphire_furnaces.jpg
Furnaces for sapphire glass production​
In February, Margolis estimated that Apple would be gearing up for mass production of devices with sapphire displays, with equipment in the factory leading to a yield of anywhere from 100 to 200 million ~5-inch sapphire displays. A yield of over 200 million sapphire displays as indicated by this latest report means that Apple could possibly produce more than enough sapphire displays for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and the iWatch.

Previous reports indicated that sapphire display supply constraints may force Apple to reserve the scratch resistant material for its larger iPhone models, with expenses perhaps driving up the retail price for consumers. Other reports suggested that initial sapphire production would target the iWatch instead of the iPhone 6, however the reported volume of raw material and equipment purchased would likely hint at bigger plans for sapphire display production.

Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to be released later this year, with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 launching near the end of 2014. In addition to a sapphire display, both phones will likely include a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and an improved camera. Meanwhile, the iWatch is expected to be revealed at an October event and may launch later that month.

Article Link: Apple Said to Have Enough Sapphire Glass for Production of Both iPhone 6 Models and iWatch in 2014

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
This might be a major selling point if implemented correctly. First to the market, and perhaps Apple are the only company in the position to actually sustain this level of expensive production.

Samsung make your move.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well then, hopefully we'll not see product shortages if that is the case. The iWathc won't need much glass but of course the inverse is true for the iPhone 6 - particularly for the rumored larger version

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
This might be a major selling point if implemented correctly. First to the market, and perhaps Apple are the only company in the position to actually sustain this level of expensive production.

Samsung make your move.

Thanks to Gorilla Glass, Samsung will make his move next year with more clear display...
I really hope with sapphire glass will not be major difference between iPhone 6 and the next update from gorilla glass

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Jesus. Look at their stock (GTAT).

Well then, hopefully we'll not see product shortages if that is the case. The iWathc won't need much glass but of course the inverse is true for the iPhone 6 - particularly for the rumored larger version

There have been many factors that go into iPhone shortages, not just the glass.

Are you sure the larger iPhone 6 will require more glass than the smaller one? ]

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
That really is great news, it would be bad for apple to only provide sapphire glass for the 5.5" iphone.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
That really is great news, it would be bad for apple to only provide sapphire glass for the 5.5" iphone.

i second that, because until now all the rumours suggest only for 5.5" and i was upset because i want sapphire glass BUT i dont want phablet

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

Samsung make your move.

A few things, they are not the first to the market with Saphire. Cheap £100 watches even have Saphire glass. Production is dirt cheap. less than $0.10 a carat.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Yeah I hope this is true since I definitely won't be going for the 5.5" model if there actually is going to be one.

I much prefer the 3.5" to 4" iPhone sizes, I'm really not at all interested in a large phone, but if Tim Cook does the dick move of only putting the best performance with the larger screen size I may have to reevaluate.

Give sapphire crystal screens to ALL iPhones! Also, make sure there's (at least) a 64 gb storage option on the smaller screen phones.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I much prefer the 3.5" to 4" iPhone sizes, I'm really not at all interested in a large phone, but if Tim Cook does the dick move of only putting the best performance with the larger screen size I may have to reevaluate.

Give sapphire crystal screens to ALL iPhones! Also, make sure there's (at least) a 64 gb storage option on the smaller screen phones.

I agree that provided there's enough room for the similar hardware thy shouldn't skimp out on the smaller sized devices.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Thats an almost unimaginable amount of sapphire. Pretty amazing they can mass produce them at a low enough price.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Well said. I am in the same situation. I'll have to re-evulate my wants if only the phablets have the latest tech internals.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My eyes have deteriorated massively since owning my iPhone 5, which I use greatly (and charge twice a day). I've also got used to my 8" tablet and even 5" phones look small now. I'm definitely in the market for a 5.5 - 5.7" screen mobile phone. Bring it on!

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
I'd be interested to know how they get from the boules to flat glass and very thin at that.
I wonder if they shave slices or remelt it and have a float glass system. TBH I have no clue.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Is it normal for Apple to release different sized models a couple months apart? It seems like they usually either release different configurations at the same time or not at all. I wish they'd just release the 4.7 and 5.5 at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.