Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Construction at Apple's "Spaceship" Campus has been progressing at a rapid pace in the past few months, as the company most recently began putting up the outer walls and laying roadwork. Now, iFun.de (Google Translate) shares new photos of the steel and glass material that will be used for the campus' facade, which are being provided by German company Josef Gartner GmbH.

spaceship_facade_materials.jpg
Construction material for Apple's Spaceship Campus tested by Josef Gartner​
The images show the steel and glass components being tested by Josef Gartner outside of its premises, and could hint at the scale of Apple's new Campus 2 building upon completion. The building will have a circular, multi-story structure surrounded by greenery, additional buildings, performance stages, a fountain, and more.

spaceship_facade_concept.jpg
A concept image of what the front of Apple's Spaceship Campus will look like​
Apple's Campus 2 project will be constructed in two phases, with the first phase finishing up by 2016 and including a 2.8 million square-foot ring-shaped central building, an underground parking facility, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, and a 120,000 square foot auditorium. Meanwhile, the second phase of construction will take place after 2016 and include an additional 600,000 square feet of office, research and development buildings as well as an additional parking structure with 1,740 spaces.

Article Link: Photos of Construction Material Hint at Scale of Apple's Spaceship Campus

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
In construction, this is what is referred to as a "mockup" wall. I believe MacRumors is familiar with that term...

Required of the contractor in the building specifications, its purpose is to demonstrate to the architect that the fit and finish of all components meets the design criteria, which in the case of this building are insane (1/32" tolerances, etc.). Good luck, guys.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I shall now proceed to hand in my notice as a Doctor and apply to be a cleaner at Apple Campus 2.

Am I crazy for thinking that maybe Apple would want an on-site medical person or two for a campus this large?

The building is designed to hold 12000 employees. Just basing this off of the ratio of nurses to students at my middle and high school, plus the university I went to, I'd imagine that Apple would want to have a team of 5-10 medical personal on campus.

Then again, I don't know if my employers have ever had medical personal onsite... but at the same time, I've never worked in a building that held more than ~300 employees.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Am I crazy for thinking that maybe Apple would want an on-site medical person or two for a campus this large?

The building is designed to hold 12000 employees. Just basing this off of the ratio of nurses to students at my middle and high school, plus the university I went to, I'd imagine that Apple would want to have a team of 5-10 medical personal on campus.

Then again, I don't know if my employers have ever had medical personal onsite... but at the same time, I've never worked in a building that held more than ~300 employees.

Like any other company, they'll have a group of employees who volunteer to be First Aid trained.

mukow

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
CT, USA

Google does have medical offices on its Googleplex campus. I would be surprised if other large companies don't. The calculation is simple.

1. Minimize the time needed away from work for routine checkups.
2. Routine checkups presumably lead to better overall health, which also minimizes time away from work.

It's a win/win for the employer.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
"Hint at scale"? All the plans are published online for how big it's going to be. Should be called " First look at actual exterior materials as mockup".

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Google does have medical offices on its Googleplex campus. I would be surprised if other large companies don't. The calculation is simple.

1. Minimize the time needed away from work for routine checkups.
2. Routine checkups presumably lead to better overall health, which also minimizes time away from work.

It's a win/win for the employer.

We have a medical office and regular staff here at NBCUniversal in New York :)

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

My former employer, which is a little smaller than ArtOfWarfare's current employer, used to have fully-staffed on-site medical clinics. Our site peaked at about 3,000 employees. The clinic closed long ago, and the space was turned into an extra-plush conference room for bigwigs.

Recently, our on-site medical facilities included aspirin and throat lozenges which could be purchased at the cafeteria (when it was open), band-aid dispensers (which were installed, depleted, and never refilled) and the ice dispenser (which was handy when someone sprained an ankle in the fitness center).

Hopefully Apple will do better, especially in such a large facility.

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I think I would make a trip to California just to see this campus once it's complete. It's staggering how much effort is being put into this campus.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
In construction, this is what is referred to as a "mockup" wall. I believe MacRumors is familiar with that term...

Required of the contractor in the building specifications, its purpose is to demonstrate to the architect that the fit and finish of all components meets the design criteria, which in the case of this building are insane (1/32" tolerances, etc.). Good luck, guys.

1/32" of an inch isn't really a big deal in construction these days. Tight tolerances are especially desirable with external walls to prevent them from looking wavy and shoddy.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
With Cook and Ives in command, I'm afraid Apple will have a lot of free space in that spaceship… :(

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois

I work at a facility with 5000 employees on-site and all we have is a nurse. If anything happens, 911 is called and whoever is in trouble gets to wait for the paramedics for a ten minute ride to a local hospital.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Regarding medical staff - I've worked in huge facilities (Fortune 50) and there has typically been some sort of occupational health office, usually staffed by RN-level folks.

While much of this was based around light manufacturing, office people get hurt in and out of work as well, and many times their doctors will only allow them to return to work if they can get some sort of light monitoring by medical staff in the workplace.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
This may have already been asked but is Apple creating HAL? Isn't that spaceship campus from 2001 Space Odyssey?

Zab the Fab

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2003
With Cook and Ives in command, I'm afraid Apple will have a lot of free space in that spaceship… :(

Yeah, why feel confident in the company with the best selling smart phone on the market, with more than 150 billion $ in accumulated cash reserves, the biggest electronics company in the world?

Everything points to a completely empty Mothership.

----------

This may have already been asked but is Apple creating HAL? Isn't that spaceship campus from 2001 Space Odyssey?

"I see no purpose of prolonging this conversation. Goodbye."
-- Hal9000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.