Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch its next-generation iPhone 6 at an event on Tuesday, September 9, reports Re/code. The company has reportedly scheduled a big media event for that date and in the past, September has been a month reserved for the introduction of new iPhones.

Following the September 9 introduction, the iPhone 6 will likely be available to customers on a corresponding Friday roughly a week and a half later, possibly September 19.

iphone_5s_6_grass.jpg
4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models compared to iPhone 5s​
Apple has scheduled a big media event for Tuesday, Sept. 9 -- a date to which Apple numerologists will strain to attribute significance. As with September events past, the focal point of this one is to be Apple's next-generation iPhones, which are expected to feature larger displays of 4.7 and 5.5 inches and run speedy new A8 processors. Apple declined comment.
Apple's iPhone 6 launch event will see the debut of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which is expected to include a thinner, lighter chassis with an iPod-touch style design along with an A8 processor and an improved camera. The event may also see the introduction of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, which is said to be experiencing production issues and may ship to customers somewhat later than the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, in late 2014 or early 2015.

Re/code, composed of the former AllThingsD team, has a perfect track record when it comes to launch date reports. The site has also suggested Apple is aiming to introduce the iWatch at an October event.

Update 11:35 AM PT: The Wall Street Journal has confirmed Re/code's report, with a source pointing towards a September 9 debut date for the iPhone 6. Bloomberg has confirmed the September 9 event date as well.

Article Link: Apple to Hold iPhone Event on September 9

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'll believe this when Jim Dalrymple gives us a "yep" or a "nope". But it makes sense for the 9th or the 16th of September.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
This coincides nicely with my idea of the next iOS 8 beta being the Gold Master, because beta 5 expires October 6. So Gold Master comes out September 9.

ensee

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
And released on the 17th, maybe the 19th of September? I don't buy the october release date - it'd completely mess up their holiday quarter numbers to lose a month of sales.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
predictions: iPhone 6 4.7 release in Oct, iPhone 6 Mammoth in March, 2015

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Who is Jim Dalrymple ?

He's an Apple journalist who Apple leaks information to. He will confirm or deny rumors with his trademark "Yep/Nope." AFAIK he's never been wrong.

I'll believe this when Jim Dalrymple gives us a "yep" or a "nope". But it makes sense for the 9th or the 16th of September.

This is almost as good. Re/code is run by Walt Mossberg, and Apple would leak things to him when he worked at the WSJ/AllThingsD.

predictions: iPhone 6 4.7 release in Oct, iPhone 6 Mammoth in March, 2015

Why Oct? iPhones have usually come out a week after. Sept 19. Seems like a good bet.

But if the 5.5" does exist, given the lack of leaks, I don't think we'll see it for at least a few months.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Heyohhh! First bit of exciting news in a while. :D I hope it's true. I'm taking it with a grain of skepticism since we received a report not to long ago about it being pushed to October.

Baerok

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Poland
That means it will be available to buy from September 19. New iOS is always released 2 days before iPhone launch, so according to the schedule iOS 8 will debut on September 17.

Last edited:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Heyohhh! First bit of exciting news in a while. :D I hope it's true. I'm taking it with a grain of skepticism since we received a report not to long ago about it being pushed to October.
You mean a grain of salt. If you took it with a grain of skepticism, that would mean you are hardly skeptical at all.

As for the event, I hope it's sooner than later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.