Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple posted retail job listings for a future retail store to be located in the United Arab Emirates, hinting that the company will soon open its first store in the Middle East. Now, Middle East website EDGARDaily.com reports that the store will be located at Dubai's Mall of the Emirates, and will be Apple's biggest retail location to date.

mall_of_the_emirates-800x535.jpg
Dubai's Mall of the Emirates​
Our undisclosed source said that the store - which will be the biggest Apple has ever built - was originally planned to replace the current cinema complex. The timing of the recent job adverts suggest the store could have a planned opening for the first quarter of 2015.
Dubai's Mall of the Emirates originally opened in September 2005 and boasts more than 700 stores and services over 2.4 million square feet, making it a desirable location for Apple to open a store. In February, Apple CEO Tim Cook was spotted visiting the country, posing for photos at Apple resellers and meeting with UAE Prime Minister Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. While the purpose of his visit was unknown, it is likely that Cook may have been meeting with officials to discuss growth opportunities for Apple in the region.

MacRumors did receive a tip last year claiming that Apple was planning to open its biggest retail store in the world, however that source claimed that it would be located at The Galleria in Sowwah Square in Abu Dhabi. Based on hiring schedules, it is possible that the Apple Store at the Mall of the Emirates could open in February 2015.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Building 'World's Largest' Apple Store in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah I remember going to that exact mall when the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Air came out during a holiday, and I wanted to check them out but no retailer had them there yet. So this is good news I guess.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Mmmm... I'm looking forward to the biggest Apple Store AKA Planet Apple Store.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Arab Business Machines, the Apple distributor for the whole region has been in Dubai for the past 20 years or so, so this is not, by any means, a stretch of the imagination.

Mall of the Emirates is still pretty great even after Dubai Mall opened (and has a Potbelly :)). Mall of the Emirates hosts Ski Dubai, where you get to ski in a giant fridge...

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
The Bull Ring store isn't much bigger.

True, I think the Bull Ring is a bit longer which helps. Both could do with an expansion. But neither centre has the right options available. Maybe Apple might open something in the New Street complex when that's finished. A new big station could do with a new big Apple Store!

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Meanwhile the one closest to my house at a mall is supposedly the worlds smallest Apple store. With 8-12 employees in it there is barely any room or a few customers. I don't even like to go in it.

The photo doesn't show the large table in the center.

https://www.apple.com/retail/oakridge/

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I live in Dubai and I highly doubt the new store would replace the Vox Cinema in the Mall of Emirates. The theater is doing quite well and the location doesn't quite fit either (right next to it is a large food court and the floor below has Virgin Megastore nearby). All of the electronic shops are toward the east side of the Mall, and recently Jumbo Electronics went out of business I think. So that could be the potential new store. Otherwise, I wonder where that "biggest store in the world" could be because Vox Cinema itself isn't even that big.

Another fact to think about is that in the Mall of Emirates there is already an Apple authorized store. I wonder what will happen to that store (although hardly anyone purchases from that store based on what I have seen)

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Three different versions for iPhone:

- Silver plated
- Golden plated
- Rose Gold version coming with a calling chauffeur contract to pick the calls for you and hold the phone by your ear to respond...

Last edited:

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Oh yeah Apple, Dubai.

There's a couple big empty buildings on Grafton Street in Dublin, Ireland.

Apple. Please..... we need a store. There's a lot of rich people in this country and a lot of rich people visit that area of the city.

Apple, I know read these posts,
I will be really insulted if you do major expansion in the UAE without putting at least one retail store in the Republic Of Ireland, the country you have your EU HQ in should also have a big store.

I'm begging you, I want a store! I need a store! I'm sick having to go up to Belfast for my AppleCare. I had to go twice last year.

I know you have a send in service but it's terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.