Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Not content to allow Samsung to steal the spotlight, Sony today also kicked off the IFA 2014 conference with its own press event that unveiled new wearable devices, new smartphone photography accessories, and several new mobile devices. Sony's newest hardware is slated to arrive in the coming months with price points that are yet to be determined.

sony_smartband_talk-press.jpg
Perhaps most relevant to Apple fans given Apple's impending wearable device announcement is Sony's pair of announcements in that area, starting with the new SmartBand Talk that embeds a low-power, 1.4-inch e-ink display into a fitness tracker. The band also includes a microphone and speaker for phone calls, as well as Bluetooth 4.0 for syncing to a smartphone. Rounding out the feature set is IP68 waterproofing, accelerometer and altimeter sensors, and integration with Sony's Lifelog lifestyle-tracking app.

smartwatch_3_press.jpg
In the more full-featured watch segment, Sony also introduced its new SmartWatch 3, the successor to the SmartWatch 2 and the first Android Wear smartwatch from the Japanese company. The smartphone companion syncs notifications from a compatible Android device and offers 4 GB of on-the-go music storage. Sony's SmartWatch 3 enters a growing Android Wear marketplace, competing directly with similar smartwatch offerings from Motorola and LG.

sony-smartphone-Lens-Style-Camera.jpeg
Sony also added to its lens-style camera line with the new 30x zoom DSC-QX30 and the E-mount interchangeable lens ILCE-QX1, These lens-style cameras improve mobile photography by combining an image sensor with a compact lens that fits onto an iOS or Android smartphone and communicates with the mobile phone via Wi-Fi. The DSC-QX30 is a 30x optical zoom lens with Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, while the QX1 allows photographers to use their existing Sony Alpha E-mount lenses on their mobile phone.

sonyexperiaz3-newB.jpeg
Besides its wearables and smartphone photography products, Sony also expanded its Xperia Z-series smartphone and tablet lineup with the new extended-battery life Xperia Z3 smartphone, the Xperia Z3 Compact smartphone, and the Xperia Tablet Z3 Compact. These new Xperia devices are notable as they support PS4 Remote Play, allowing users to pair their mobile device with a DualShock controller and play PS4 games on the phone or tablet.

Article Link: Sony Unveils New Calling-Capable SmartBand Talk, Android Wear SmartWatch 3 and Lens-style cameras

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Wow.

Whether you like Apple or not, they have really inspired the other tech companies to get their act together and release new interesting products.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
With every hardware vendor making their own Android, I can't help but to think MSFT ends up on the losing end of the stick...Android/Google is the new MSFT....abeit with less market share.

ianKent

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
If they really want to compete with Apple, they should sell a bundle for $199:
- 1 Phablet
- 1 Smart Watch
- 1 Tablet
- 1 4K TV Set
- 1 Fridge
- 3 T-Shirts
- 1 Microwave
- 4 white Sony Stickers

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

EDIT: apparently I didn't understand... It IS a camera... But again... I don't see anyone buying it...

Last edited:

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Sony's QX1 lens mount is pretty cool, especially if you've already bought into the Sony ecosystem. Love what Sony's been doing with mobile camera options.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
smartwatch_3_press.jpg

"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist.

If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.

mashkina

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Dubai
Sony, Samsumg, MS, they are all shaking. :D Showing their roadmap right before Apple's keynote.
I definitely understand Apple's secrecy :apple:

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Man, I just don't get that camera thing. Why in the hell would I want to slap my 18-200mm zoom E-Mount onto my cell phone when I can leave it attached to my NEX-5n? If you've already invested in the "ecosystem," you already have a nice camera. And the adapter, plus lens, plus camera mount looks thicker than the camera setup I've already invested in! The first two camera mounts from last year were interesting, but this one is dumb.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Incredible how what a company (Apple) might do can inspire others to actually do... And then Apple picks the best of what others did and does it. That is one weird feeding chain right there!

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
All these "responses" to apple (or consumer demand, i admit), and not a single smartwatch out of them...yet ;)

mashkina

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Dubai
smartwatch_3_press.jpg

"When are you coming home?" because this is what i want to be seeing on my wrist.

If this image is supposed to convince me I need a SmartWatch it is failing to do so.

How do you answer to that notification, with an upper hand movement (yes) or sidewards (no)?!?! Pretty unclear :p

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Now everyone is fighting for the spotlight up till the 9 of September and I will bet you nobody will announce anything on the 9 of September as Apple will get all the press!

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
2 days battery life

They claim 2 days battery for the Z3. I had Z1 and I really 1 day + couple of hours for sure.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Who is going to buy a lens extension for a phone instead of just a camera?

It's much more than that. It IS a camera, that just uses your phone for a view finder and storage. It's not for everyone, but it has some really cool features that normal cameras lack.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It almost makes you feel bad for Sony, because these are actually cool products, but you know no one is going to buy them

Maybe because Sony back when they were king of the mountain started behaving like a bunch of arrogant penistampons finally turned everyone off so bad they just about went under. They were kind of behaving like Apple is now, but like twice as bad.

DonJudgeMe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Arizona
Man, I just don't get that camera thing. Why in the hell would I want to slap my 18-200mm zoom E-Mount onto my cell phone when I can leave it attached to my NEX-5n? If you've already invested in the "ecosystem," you already have a nice camera. And the adapter, plus lens, plus camera mount looks thicker than the camera setup I've already invested in! The first two camera mounts from last year were interesting, but this one is dumb.

And if you haven't already invested in all that(or even if you have), this gives you another option. Also, what if the camera breaks and you need something now? More adaptability, and you complain? This is freakin sweet!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.