Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at its special event, Apple debuted two brand new ads for the newly announced iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The ads, titled "Health" and "Duo", featuring Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon alongside musician Justin Timberlake as they show off the new phones.

The first ad, "Duo", features the two of them humming the opening of Richard Strauss' "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" as they swipe and tap through new apps and features from both iOS 8 and the new iPhones, like 240 fps video, landscape mode, the Health app and more.

Both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available for pre-order starting Friday, September 12 and will release one week later on September 19. The iPhone 6 starts at $199 on a two year contract for 16 GB while the iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 on a two year contract with with the same amount of storage.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Two New iPhone 6 Ads Starring Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
That first one is terrible. I felt embarrassed for Apple watching it during the stream. But the second one is fine :)

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Apple chose form over function with the phone with thinness causing the lens to stick out. And function over form with the watch, bring chunky and square but seemingly doing a lot of cool stuff.

How do I deal with this?
What do I hate them for?

I know. Resorting to celebrity endorsements in these advertisements.

:)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
For the talking one, they need two people who sound less alike.

For the singing one, they need two people who sound less like a cat in a dryer.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
The singing one is obviously tongue in cheek. Not meant to be a Grammy worthy rendition.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
first one is soooo bad, i cringed while watching. The second one is pretty funny though, jimmy fallon is hilarious.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
These ads just pale in comparison to the stuff they had for the 5S the last year or so...

----------

That first one is terrible. I felt embarrassed for Apple watching it during the stream. But the second one is fine :)

This. I get that it's supposed to be quirky and topical with celebs but how are you even going to be able to tell from just their voices? That commercial is going to make people throw their remotes through the TV.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
The problem with the first one is that it's not at all obvious who is doing the voices.

Two celebrities joking around? Funny ad.

A company joking around and trying to represent itself approachable by being childish? Annoying ad!

I guarantee you, just flashing the two guys on screen for a second would make this ad a million times more relatable. (Obviously, all the deciders liked the ad ... but knowing who the people were!)

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I seriously think Apple should start contracting out its adverts again. They really can't make them as good by themselves...

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
duuuuunnnnn duuuuuuuuunn DUNNNDUNNNNNNNNNNN

*what the hell is this annoying crap?!*

Tim Cook: "It's JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE AND JIMMY FALLON"

Oh, that's ok I guess.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ugh. I am so sick of these two pairing up for so many things lately. I like Justin by himself but can't stand it when he gets together with Fallon. Fallon just comes across as an old(er) man that's desperately trying to appeal to the younger masses by leaching on to a younger, more hip artist (Timberlake).

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
On that first one, they should have been saying "derp derp derp". I'm not a fan of Fallon a good day, but that was just an awful clip. Note to Tim Cook: If you have to go out of your way to explain to the audience who the voices were, you failed. The 2nd one was OK.

DerekAndonian

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
The second one was funny, but the first one was god awful. I didn't think they could do worse than the iPad commercials with the crowd of people shouting the words as they were displayed on the screen, but this one did... :eek:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Apple chose form over function with the phone with thinness causing the lens to stick out. And function over form with the watch, bring chunky and square but seemingly doing a lot of cool stuff.

How do I deal with this?
What do I hate them for?

I know. Resorting to celebrity endorsements in these advertisements.

:)

What??? Apple has a long, long, long history of celebrity endorsements. I don't quite understand that portion of your comment.:confused:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
What??? Apple has a long, long, long history of celebrity endorsements. I don't quite understand that portion of your comment.:confused:

My jokes often dont work. I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek. There was a lot of celebrity-endorsement bashing going on here, particularly after the beats deal.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
My jokes often dont work. I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek. There was a lot of celebrity-endorsement bashing going on here, particularly after the beats deal.

Yeah, those Beats threads were brutal. Hope to never see another. But they do get some clicks. Do you think a combo thread featuring Beats, Samsung, and marketshare numbers would blow up the internet?:D

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
The problem with the first one is that it's not at all obvious who is doing the voices.

Two celebrities joking around? Funny ad.

A company joking around and trying to represent itself approachable by being childish? Annoying ad!

I guarantee you, just flashing the two guys on screen for a second would make this ad a million times more relatable. (Obviously, all the deciders liked the ad ... but knowing who the people were!)

EXACTLY how I felt! Without a quick flash of them at the end to make the advert relatable, it's just an in-joke that no-one who's not watched the keynote will get. Seems like a big slip up from the usual excellent apple marketing team. Why get big names like this to do the ad then not even show them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.