Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I had my new iPhone 6 for all of three hours before breaking it. :eek:

I was sat on an underground train and it slipped off my leg onto the floor. It dropped about 1ft, and onto a plastic/rubber floor. There's now a cracked section on the screen edge about the size and shape of the tip of my thumb. Luckily the crack is under the top layer of the screen, and also doesn't extend as far as the display, so not the end of the world.

It does look though that with these rounded screens the edges where the screen is very thin is very susceptible to cracking if dropped. So take care!

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
That's unfortunate to hear. I suppose that ion strengthened glass isn't that strong. :(

However, pics or it didn't happen!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's as slippery as the original iPhone so you do need to be more careful until you've acclimated to it (if you normally carry it naked). The original iPhone just flew out of my hand once back in 2007. Never happened again as I've learned to handle it better.

Did you purchase it with a credit card that offers 90-day accidental damage coverage? If so, file a claim.

marcusr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
True, without pictures it never happened. So evidence attached :)

It looks worse in the photo as the top layer is still there holding it all in place.

Attachments

• iphone6.jpg
    iphone6.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 4,255

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
delete this post, and exchange it and tell whatever place u bought it at it came that way

thats what i would do

marcusr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
It's as slippery as the original iPhone so you do need to be more careful until you've acclimated to it (if you normally carry it naked). The original iPhone just flew out of my hand once back in 2007. Never happened again as I've learned to handle it better.

Did you purchase it with a credit card that offers 90-day accidental damage coverage? If so, file a claim.

It's certainly true that it's as slippery as the original iPhones!

It's bought for by work so I don't think it's covered (had I bought it with my own card I would have had the protection). It's about £85 to get the screen replaced by Apple so not the end of the world but given the screen is totally white (no yellowing) and free of dead pixels, I'll live with it for now rather than risk swapping it for a worse screen. I've almost forgotten it's there now.

Edit - it's protected by the credit card I used but with a £50 excess. So that helps a bit. I'll still wait for a bit though - until they get spare screens if nothing else!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yikes! That's not much of a fall to leave such damage. My 5s survived worse falls onto tile with no damage at all. Thanks for the warning. I'm reading these threads to help me evaluate cases. Good luck to you on the replacement.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Knoxvegas
I had my new iPhone 6 for all of three hours before breaking it. :eek:

I was sat on an underground train and it slipped off my leg onto the floor. It dropped about 1ft, and onto a plastic/rubber floor. There's now a cracked section on the screen edge about the size and shape of the tip of my thumb. Luckily the crack is under the top layer of the screen, and also doesn't extend as far as the display, so not the end of the world.

It does look though that with these rounded screens the edges where the screen is very thin is very susceptible to cracking if dropped. So take care!

wow thanks for the story bro!!!!!!!

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Sorry to hear it. Pretty sad if a $650+ smartphone from Apple in 2014 can't survive a 2 foot drop without the glass cracking (you said 1 foot, but if it was on your leg, I'm guessing it was closer to 2 feet). What's the use of making a phone so thin if your customers have to put a case on it in order to keep it protected from minor drops?

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Sorry, but at least it's on the side. Most cases will probably even cover that up. Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm guessing you didn't have insurance otherwise you would get it replaced and move on right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.