17inch Macbook Pro i5 2.54 ghz, 4gb RAM. $999 on craigslist...Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iJustinCabral, Jul 8, 2012.

1. iJustinCabral macrumors member

iJustinCabral

I'm in the process of saving up for the new 15 inch retina macbook, I'm about 500 dollars away from which model I want.

I saw this deal on craigslist and was wondering if this is a good way to go or should I keep saving up for the rMacbook?

I think its the 17inch from 2010.

Are these things easy to upgrade? Like the RAM to 8, and put a SSD in it?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

That is a fantastic deal since the Apple refurbished price is currently almost $1700. SO since it is so fantastic, make sure it works before you buy it. And yes, they are very easy to upgrade as far as RAM, but the SSD would be slightly more difficult.

So if this MBP turns out to be in good condition and not stolen, then this would be the best way to go. Do you know if it currently covered by AppleCare? If not and and there is still some time left, add that on or transfer it and that makes the price even better.

Even though the rMBP looks awesome and is very advanced, I would wait until the next version is released so a few of the bugs can be fixed and also so that websites have the time to update their pages to take advantage of the retina capability. I was testing one at Best Buy and was not impressed with the display of the websites I visited.

3. iJustinCabral thread starter macrumors member

iJustinCabral

hmmmm ok.

Any one know the cost of batteries for this incase its on its last legs?

4. RedCroissant Suspended

$130. So even if you do have to replace it, you'll be saving quite a bit going that route.

I would also recommend doing a search for stolen MBP on CL in your area. Does the seller have the original packaging and all the accessories as well?

5. iJustinCabral thread starter macrumors member

iJustinCabral

Yup he does, he just got a new 2012 macbook pro from work so he's selling this one. says the condition is 10/10 and he babied the computer.

Hmm I'm so torn right now, I really want the form factor of the new rMacbook but this seems like a really good deal if I can upgrade the ram to 8gb

6. RedCroissant, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

I would jump on that deal. Really. I paid twice that for my 15" MBP and I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed with the purchase. I know the rMBP form factor looks great, but this way, you can upgrade the RAM, the HDD to a SSD, and still save money.

And with the unibody MBP, the only user serviceable part according to Apple is the RAM.

You also wouldn't have to purchase additional thunderbolt adaptors because you would already have the ethernet and firewire ports included(which are not on the rMBP).

7. astrorider macrumors 6502

Not sure what you'll be using the machine for, but I think there is a pretty big difference in performance between the 2010 Core processors and Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge from 2011 / 2012. Here's the Geekbench scores for comparison:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks