Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun preparing its retail employees and retail partners for the upcoming launch of its Apple Pay mobile payments service with a host of new training materials that show the feature in action, reports 9to5Mac.

applepaysetup11-800x390.png
Users will be able to set up Apple Pay in Passbook or through the Settings app, as up to eight credit or debit cards be connected with an iTunes account or by scanning one in with the iPhone's camera. Every card connected to the service will allow users to access a number of features, including the ability to see a simple transaction list, the ability to turn on push notifications, and an area that allows quick access to a bank's phone number and an accompanying app. Passbook will also be able to automatically update an expired card with a new expiration date without the need to re-enter information.

applepaysetup22-800x420.png
For Apple's own stores, a customer will be able to return an item simply by holding an iPhone near a payment terminal to give a list of their recent transactions. Receipts from Apple Store purchases will also not display a customer's contact information or credit card number, but will rather show just the last four digits of a device's Apple Pay ID. If Apple Pay is not working properly for an Apple Store customer, retail employees will be able to use the "Apple Pay Demo" diagnostic software that can determine whether a device is having a hardware problem or other issue. For non-hardware issues, customers will be referred to their appropriate credit card providers or banks.

applepaysetup33-800x470.jpg
Apple's training materials note that its retail employee should emphasize the simplicity and security of Apple Pay to convince customers to use the service. All Apple Store employees will receive one hour of mandatory Apple Pay training this week ahead of the service's impending launch. The report also notes that Apple has already launched Apple Pay at its Caffe Macs cafeteria located in its 1 Infinite Loop headquarters.

An internal memo addressed to Walgreens employees that surfaced yesterday suggested that Apple Pay may be going live next Saturday, October 18. Apple Pay will be enabled on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus through an update to iOS 8. The seeded versions of iOS 8.1 to developers first revealed hidden Apple Pay settings and set up screens, which may indicate that the service might be launching alongside the update.

Apple is expected to detail full launch plans for Apple Pay and iOS 8.1 at its event this Thursday, October 16. The company is also expected to announce its next-generation iPad Air and Retina iPad mini, new iMacs with at least the 27-inch version receiving a high-resolution Retina display, and perhaps even a new Mac Mini.

Article Link: Apple Pay Setup Process Revealed as Retail Employees and Partners Begin Training

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Should be interesting to see how fast Apple Pay is adopted by retail stores in general.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I really wanna give this a try. I feel like Apple will change my h way we all pay while others failed. We shall see..

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Apple's training materials note that its retail employee should emphasize the simplicity and security of Apple Pay to lure customers into using the service.

I don't like the word lure... Impress would be better

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Can I use any credit or debit card with Apple Pay? Or just ones from certain banks?

I'm so confused as to why people keep asking this over and over. At launch, you can use any Visa, Master Card or AMEX credit/debit card that is issued from certain banks such as Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Citi. For the full list, check out Apple's website.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I'm so confused as to why people keep asking this over and over. At launch, you can use any Visa, Master Card or AMEX credit/debit card that is issued from certain banks such as Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Citi. For the full list, check out Apple's website.

Mostly because it's not super clear that my credit union Visa won't work. This is in contrast to how google wallet seems to work with any credit card and to the consumer it would make sense that any card that can be used to make purchases through itunes should work. I guess for Apple Pay there is more needed on the back end to work intimately with banks than just processing a credit card payment???

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Mostly because it's not super clear that my credit union Visa won't work. This is in contrast to how google wallet seems to work with any credit card and to the consumer it would make sense that any card that can be used to make purchases through itunes should work. I guess for Apple Pay there is more needed on the back end to work intimately with banks than just processing a credit card payment???

Yeah... apparently your bank has to be involved with Apple for Apple Pay to work.

There are 6 banks signed up now... and 5 more coming soon.

But there are over 5,000 banks in the US. It will take a while for more banks to become compatible with Apple Pay.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

hFRQsIf.png

It can't be clearer than that. But you have to have eyes on your face to see it. Not an unreal expectation.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009

It can't be clearer than that. But you have to have eyes on your face to see it. Not an unreal expectation.

I've seen that image. There were some news sites reporting that every Visa would work and others that said even though its a credit union issued card that one of the main banks actually processes the payments, etc, etc. Again, just going by how competing contactless payment systems work I was hoping any card would work out the gate.

There is a blurb on their Apple Pay page that says "To get started, you can add the credit or debit card from your iTunes account to Passbook by simply entering the card security code."

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010

How clear is this from Citi?

New York – Citi cardmembers will soon have another way to pay with their Citi card at their fingertips with Apple Pay. Beginning this October, Citi cardmembers will have the option to pay with their eligible Citi credit or debit card using their iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Whether they are buying in stores or online from merchants in apps, payment happens in a single touch and Citi cardmembers will soon have another option to make purchases easily.
*Apple Pay is only available on eligible Citi-branded consumer credit and debit cards issued in the continental U.S. and Hawaii.

Oh wait, their logo is listed...

KazuSnow

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Canada (Australian)
...Users will be able to set up Apple Pay in Passbook or through the Settings app, as up to eight credit or debit cards be connected with an iTunes account ...

Does this mean any card you connect to Apple pay will automatically be connected to your iTunes account, and thus potentially used for iTunes purchases?

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Apple Pay,

Take my money and change me!

Or at least the way I will shop ...

More visits to Target, Whole Foods ...

Less to Publix ...

Will go back to needlessly chewing gums just so I can try it at 24/7 Walgreens.

Lol at Walmart. Walmart who? Been avoiding them like plagues anyway.

If only Starbucks is brewing decent coffees.

McDonalds, ew. I will never try AP even if am desperately hungry in the middle of the night. Like Walmart, avoid like a plague.

H&M, Zara and co.,

Come on in and join the fun!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
This has the potential to make Apple more $$$ than anything else they've done so far. If the security turns out to be as ironclad as even the financial institutions are now saying, this is going to be a watershed moment for the company.

The potential for earnings growth with their payment system eclipses anything that came before.
Well done Cupertino!

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
*fast forward on next visit at Apple Store during Apple Pay launch day*

Me: Do have you an iGum or iPhone 6+ socks already? :D Anything that costs less than $5? Lol

Apple Guy: Just buy anything then comeback here after 5 minutes then return it so we can test it as well. *winking at me*

----------

Tim Cook,

It is about time for an iCafe aka :apple: Cafe besides or across the streets of Apple retail stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.