Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Skype today announced the release of version 5.6 of its iPhone app, bringing with it a user interface that is scaled for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. This is the second significant Skype update in less than a month and follows an iOS 8-optimized version that debuted at the end of September.

skype-iphone-6-plus.jpeg
The latest version of Skype for iPhone now supports all device screen sizes from the 3.5-inches of the iPhone 4 up to the 5.5-inches of the new 6 Plus. The biggest difference will be seen by iPhone 6 Plus owners, who now will be able to view additional messages and chat logs on the larger screen.

The full change log for the 5.6 release includes changes to the contact profiles and general improvements to the app.
What's New in Version 5.6
- Native resolution support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+
- Presence indicators are now displayed in the "recent" list
- Number of contacts and time zones are now shown on contact profiles
- Individual conversations can be marked as read/unread
- Notification sounds are disabled in "Do not disturb" mode
- General Improvements
Skype for iPhone [Direct Link] is available for free from the iOS App Store.

Article Link: Skype for iPhone Now Optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Still waiting for many of my daily apps to be optimized.

What apps are you waiting to be optimized? Slowly but surely there falling through.

I'm waiting on Pocket Casts, Reeder 2 (Even though I'm using Newsify for the time being), Google Search, ESPN SportsCenter & WatchESPN, & Plex. There are other miscellaneous apps or games, but those mention are the main ones..

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
What apps are you waiting to be optimized? Slowly but surely there falling through.

I'm waiting on Pocket Casts, Reeder 2 (Even though I'm using Newsify for the time being), Google Search, ESPN SportsCenter & WatchESPN, & Plex. There are other miscellaneous apps or games, but those mention are the main ones..

Facebook, RBC, Goodreads, Viber are the first few I can think of. It's annoying.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Does this fix the mic issues on the 6 Plus? When I would do video calls, the person I'll be chatting with would BARELY hear me, very faint. I know it's not a hardware defect cause both the silver 6 Plus and the Gold 6 Plus that I exchanged for silver do this.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011

AMEX, BOA, eBay, PayPal, Amazon, Yelp

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

This is why I'm holding on to my 5s for now. Once I see that the apps I use are being optimzed for the 6/6+, I'll buy the 6.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Skype shows faces next to message threads on the iPhone 6, so why doesn't Apple's message app! :mad:

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Its a Microsoft Product, give it a few months and it be fixed :D (BTW I work with Microsoft software all the time and trust me - This is nothing ;)

I had to forward emails from an Outlook account and I could not believe how severely disorganized the webpages were - seriously could not believe it, all hate aside. I'm wondering if Microsoft has moved to India?

----------

I agree. Skype hogs battery like its starving for centuries. My iPhone 6 lasts for less than 5 hours after Skype use. :mad:

That's weird - I usually keep Skype off so hadn't noticed. Thanks for the heads up!

PS Who the heck is designing this software anyways?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.