Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After five and a half weeks of availability, Apple's iOS 8 operating system is now installed on 52 percent of iOS devices, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

iOS 8's installation numbers have increased approximately four percent over the course of the two weeks, which means adoption numbers are on the rise after several weeks of stagnation. During Apple's October 16 iPad-centric event, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that iOS 8 was installed on 48 percent of devices as of October 13, and before that, the OS was installed on 46 percent of devices on September 21.

ios8adoptionrate.jpg
The jump in iOS 8 installation numbers follows the October 20 release of iOS 8.1, which brought several new features that undoubtedly enticed iOS users to upgrade, including Apple Pay support, SMS Forwarding, Instant Hotspot, iCloud Photo Library beta access, and the return of the Camera Roll.

iOS 8.1 also addressed several notable bugs that had been present in the operating system for several weeks and that were the source of several user complaints about iOS 8. The update fixed Wi-Fi connection issues, Bluetooth problems, screen rotation bugs, and more.

Apple's own iOS 8 adoption estimates are based on App Store usage and are mirrored closely by data from MixPanel, which puts iOS 8 adoption at just over 54 percent. MixPanel's numbers suggest installation rates have been trending upwards since the release of iOS 8.1.

mixpanelios8adoption-800x389.jpg
iOS 8's release was plagued with a number of early bugs that may have scared users away from updating. Ahead of launch, all HealthKit-enabled apps were pulled from the App Store due to a major HealthKit bug, and the fix for that issue, iOS 8.0.1, brought its own bugs, disabling cellular service and Touch ID for thousands of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users.

iOS 8.0.2 fixed the problems introduced with iOS 8.0.1 and brought several other bug fixes, and with iOS 8.1 fixing even more issues with iOS 8, the operating system is far more stable now than it was in the days following its release.

Article Link: iOS 8 Now Installed on Over Half of Active iOS Devices

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I wonder how many people updated their older phones thinking they could get Apple Pay.... even though it was only available to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus because of hardware..

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
updating ipad 2 made it much slower. Think twice about updating older iOS devices.

brunozs

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
The only reason I don't have it on my iPhone 4 is bc apple crippled the support for it.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I wonder how many people updated their older phones thinking they could get Apple Pay.... even though it was only available to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus because of hardware..

Well I was hoping they enabled it for iPhone5/5S users seeing how you can use Apple Pay with the Apple Watch. I've heard that you can still use Apple Pay with iPhone 5/5S provided you have an Apple Watch, but I guess they will enable that functionality later.

Or maybe 5/5S users will have to add their credit cards with the Apple Watch app for iOS.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
if you been havin iOS problems i feel bad for you son, i got 99 things to do but b1tchin ain't one.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
It would be more impressive if updates weren't permanent.

As it stands, it really doesn't bear any significance on how anyone feels about iOS 8.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
If most people could go back to 7 there would be less than 10% on 8.

I highly doubt that. And besides, I think the people who haven't upgraded yet are not waiting for iOS 8 to get less buggy, they just ran out of space. I had to clear about 5 GB of space on my 16 GB iPhone to update to iOS 8, and that's a lot of space to clear if you don't use iTunes to update. I still have no idea why Apple continues to sell the 16GB iPhone.

Buggy Software Now Installed on Over Half of Active iOS Devices

Honestly, iOS7 for me was far more buggier than 8.1 is. I've never had better battery life, and faster animations than 8.1. I'm actually really happy with it. And I use an iPhone 5, which is not exactly fast by today's standards.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Probably also increased when people (like myself) realized that they could no longer use Pages, Numbers etc without updating. Was forced to update my 3rd gen iPad earlier today in order to use Pages.
Now I can finally use Pages on my NOW UNSTABLE iPad. :apple:

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
"the return of the Camera Roll"

That sounds cool.

I was one of the ones that really missed that. Very happy to have...the return of the Camera Roll

Impressive adoption rate. Unlike Android.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I highly doubt that.

Honestly, iOS7 for me was far more buggier than 8.1 is. I've never had better battery life, and faster animations than 8.1. I'm actually really happy with it. And I use an iPhone 5, which is not exactly fast by today's standards.

yeah, for me, iOS8 animations are great (along with everything else). it's yosemite that's getting choppier after about a week. hoping they fix. system folders and apps shouldn't lag.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
updating ipad 2 made it much slower. Think twice about updating older iOS devices.

You got that right. I crippled my 4S with 8. But it did repair on the next update. But looks like I have nowt to lose but 'upgrade' to 8.1 ....it surely can't get worse.

Can't it?

How many in the silent majority (of 4S users) are feeling let down by Apple?

I was going to go for a 6 plus. But lost confidence in their integrity after this :-(

The moral of the tale here is ... If in doubt. Wait three months before a software jump and let the early adopters do the beta testing.

If in doubt re: hardware. Wait six months and go for the revised S model.

Thanks!

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Er... none? I think you overestimate people's brain power...

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
You got that right. I crippled my 4S with 8. But it did repair on the next update. But looks like I have nowt to lose but 'upgrade' to 8.1 ....it surely can't get worse.

Can't it?

How many in the silent majority (of 4S users) are feeling let down by Apple?

I was going to go for a 6 plus. But lost confidence in their integrity after this :-(

The moral of the tale here is ... If in doubt. Wait three months before a software jump and let the early adopters do the beta testing.

If in doubt re: hardware. Wait six months and go for the revised S model.

Thanks!

That's the right idea. But most Apple customers seem to be of the "buy now, whine later" persuasion.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
thats just a gossip mongering post. People who aren't educated will believe you....remember, people are listening. So please be factual...

Ugh. So in the Apple universe there is no humor? Please give us all a break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.