Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Third-party keyboards like Swype and Fleksy promise to make typing on iPhones and iPads faster with features like predictive text and swiping, but new third-party keyboard NinType goes even further, combining taps, swipes, and shortcuts to allow users to type more than 100 words per minute.

Created by app developer Yose Widjaja, NinType's magic comes from its ability to support two-handed swipe-based gestures for spelling out words. Using two thumbs, it's possible to use a combination of taps and swipes to write words and insert punctuation quickly.

Like most iOS 8 keyboards, NinType occasionally experiences some hiccups that cause it to fail to show up at times, but this appears to be more of an issue with iOS than with NinType itself. Aside from that, we ran into a few crashing problems during our time testing the keyboard, but the developer has been hard at work pushing updates and resolving any lingering issues.

NinType is available for both the iPhone and the iPad and can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Type More Than 100 Words Per Minute With the New NinType Keyboard for iOS

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
had the pleasure of beta testing this.

FYI:
if the keyboard doesn't appear when you are trying to type into a textbox, don't blame the developer, that's all on Apple.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Is there an option to remove the "hold for menu" text on the keyboard? This looks like a really interesting keyboard, but I just can't bring myself to use a keyboard with branding and excessive lettering all over the space bar.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England

FYI:
if the keyboard doesn't appear when you are trying to type into a textbox, don't blame the developer, that's all on Apple.

How many hours did you use this for?

Does it Feel natural?

Does it have a learning curve?

100WPM on my iphone sounds great, but if it takes me a year to achieve. I'll just pull out my Macbook.

lucastatic

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I am so happy to see this being released! Nin & Jormy hold a special place in my heart; I love this keyboard so much it's silly. It's awesome, you should buy it.

In my humble opinion:
I have tried iOS 8 Swype and SwiftKey, Fleksy back in iOS 7, jailbroken iSwipe, AltKeyboard, and OctopusKeyboard, plus numerous combinations of the smaller tweaks like SwipeSelection... (the rest I'm forgetting. I know there's more.)

On Android I tried all the big names, most mentioned above. Personally I found Google's keyboard to be the best. I loved Google's keyboard: it had the stable accuracy of the stock iOS keyboard, plus well-built swiping.

iOS Nin has trumped them all: nin's dual-swipe is so natural and "why isn't every swipe keyboard like this?" when you get used to it. Excellent premise: dual-swiping is absolutely brilliant. Excellent design: it's built with quality and love, you can see it. It is hands down the best keyboard I have used on both platforms bar none.

Edit to add to post #1's bug report, yes sometimes third-party keyboards will not appear when tapping into a text field. This is a known bug in iOS 8. Similarly there is another known third-party keyboard issue while creating Contacts: your cursor will jump throughout text fields. It's another bug with iOS 8 itself (even in 8.1.1).

Edit2

Does it Feel natural?

100WPM on my iphone sounds great, but if it takes me a year to achieve. I'll just pull out my Macbook.
I have been using it for the last year at least. Hundreds of hours? It feels very natural; more natural than most keyboards. It does have a slight learning curve: it can come off as confusing at first as it isn't as simple as single-swiping, which can potentially confuse some people. But it's incredible when you wrap your mind(fingers?) around it.

Last edited:

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

Does it Feel natural?

learning curve is like typing on the iPhone for the very first time. takes a couple of weeks. you'll get used to it.

tip: nice thing is that you don't HAVE to swipe every word. I peck type the small words, but if I know I'm going to be typing a big word, I two-finger swipe that word.

tip2: the keyboard is EXTREMELY customizable. you can resize the keyboard anyway you want to which is recommended for the iphone 6 plus landscape mode.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This looks fantastic. Now if only Apple would fix the aggravating keyboard bugs so I could use it.

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
Call me crazy, but I'm over all of this 'third party keyboard' stuff.

I've tried a few, and I always did love Swype on my old android phones.. But anymore I just want to use the stock iOS keyboard. It works well. No unnecessary frills, no confusion.

I could get into a keyboard that just reads my thoughts but really, I'd hope humanity becomes extinct before we have to put up with that and the glaring potential issues involved with it.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011

FYI:

That's the reason why I gave up on third party keyboards for now.

This looks really interesting and would happily give it a shot if it weren't for inherent iOS8 issues. Hoping some jailbreak tweak will fix all of this.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That's the reason why I gave up on third party keyboards for now.

This looks really interesting and would happily give it a shot if it weren't for inherent iOS8 issues. Hoping some jailbreak tweak will fix all of this.

iOS 9 should have this straightened out. :D

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
In case you were wondering why you now have the vague desire to watch Back To the Future, that generic advertisement music becomes Huey Lewis' "The Power of Love" 34 seconds in. Compare the music here to the music here.

Last edited:

larry t

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
This is the Best keyboard of any Platform! WOW!

This keyboard is Amazing. And so Frekin Fast. I new it would be a pretty big deal when IOS started using third party keyboards. Now there starting to get some pretty Amazing & unique keyboards, because of there huge amount of developer devotion. This keyboard is almost perfect.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Full-Access required?

Bust for me if yes.

Glassed Silver:mac

Why do people freak out over this? It's not a big deal. It's not full access to your nude photos or something.

The bigger crime is 5 bucks for the app. Without a free trial, it's hard to drop 5 bucks on something I might try and not like. Keyboards are tricky and very personal, if it's good, the app is definitely worth the money. Otherwise it's a huge gamble.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Dear god. When they said you won't have to look at the keyboard they really meant you CAN'T look at the keyboard without having a seizure.

Honest question: What purpose do the disco rave lights serve? They said you aren't even looking at the keyboard so what the heck is all that noise even for?

wordup60

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012

That's why I deleted Swype again. I liked it, but more than the swipe convenience I need a keyboard to actually pop up when I tap a text field.

I'm sure Apple will fix that problem fairly soon.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Dear god. When they said you won't have to look at the keyboard they really meant you CAN'T look at the keyboard without having a seizure.

Honest question: What purpose do the disco rave lights serve? They said you aren't even looking at the keyboard so what the heck is all that noise even for?
rofl.gif

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
I've certainly been able to get a very quick speed with this keyboard so far, averaging 88wpm so far after only having it for the last couple hours.

Glad for the recommendation as it is the sort of all that I was really hoping for when third party keyboards were announced.

The main problem is that it is still a little buggy and can crash back to the stock keyboard at times or in a totally weird case going to "non-retina" mode.

Still, can obviously get better over the near term with skme big fxes. The only thing that I am hoping for is an option to make the keyboard a little smaller, especially when in landscape. On the iPhone 6 Plus it is over 2/3 the vertical height which is pretty crazy!

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
I have used this keyboard for sometime -- but I switched back to stock ios one reason? this keyboard drains the battery way more than normal stock one ...

I think it just has to do with the fact that its moving while you type that drains the battery ...

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
You clearly have to be Asian to wield this sort of power.

Racist statement.

It has been my experience as a professional developer that there is no racial advantage for any software development or engineering skills.

Culturally, about the only common thread I have found of a good software developer is they come from a mainstream or counter culture that has a lack of respect for authority and encourages original / critical thought.

For example, I know this one from Japan who came from a Samurai family. He refused the family title to move to America and write code here in the valley. That may change when he thinks it is time to marry. Another is a crazy Scotsman who is proud of his heritage and to this day their family makes anyone south of Hadrian's Wall uncomfortable. Then there is the Austin hacker scene!

----------

Because it is awesome! Millennials and hipsters are all over this for sure. Now if we can have the tap sounds beat sync with what playing in the music app!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.