Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may finally be opening its first Apple Store location in Brooklyn, according to The New York Post. Information gained from brokerage community sources reveals that Apple has signed a long-term lease for a 20,000 square-foot store at 247 Bedford Avenue at the corner of North 3rd Street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

247_beford_brooklyn.jpg
Rendering of renovated 247 Bedford prior to Apple commitment (via The Real Deal)

The New York Post states that the new Apple Store will be a two-story brick structure and "is getting a whole new look, featuring dramatic, arched windows." The project will reportedly be completed in April of 2015. There was no confirmation yet on when Apple will move in to begin renovation, or how much it will pay for the location.

Apple already has a handful of retail stores in New York City, including Fifth Avenue, SoHo, Upper West Side, Grand Central, and West 14th Street. Rumors of a Brooklyn/Williamsburg store have circulated for years, with various reports citing a number of possible locations.

Article Link: Apple Planning New Retail Store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Last edited:

Omegatron

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
LMAO. An Apple tree grows in Brooklyn. the yuppie district of course.

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
It's astonishing that Apple has ignored this extremely large, populous, and affluent borough for so long. Hopefully it will be the first of many Brooklyn Apple stores.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
About damn time. Although I would have preferred downtown Brooklyn, not Hipsterville.

i guess a short few-year period of jean-jacket wearing dudes on tall bikes with mustaches will ruin an area's character for decades..? when was the last time you were in williamsburg, honestly? it's all orthodox jews, dutch tourists and wealthy new families. the quote-unquote 'hipsters' (who aren't even recognizable as 'that type' anymore) are all in Bushwick, Ridgewood, and Harlem. they scattered, and realized how embarrassed they were to be identified as cultural icons.

the hipsters are all dead. long live the normals.

Reactions: Gasu E.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn't say that. Creative types left Williamsburg years ago. It's yuppie central now, hence the new Apple store. It finally makes sense for them to do it.

Exactly, Apple needs a location where rich yuppies live, hipsters work/visit and tourists visit. That's Williamsburg today.

----------

Lol. Hipsterville getting its own Apple Store.

More like Yuppieville/Broville with hipster guests.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Williamsburg has come a long way since my mother and father grew up there. It was basically a slum with mostly irish, Jews and Italians. Then the Puerto Ricans moved in and crime got so bad that my grandparents moved to Sunnyside, Queens.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
This news literally made my DAY (especially in all of this rain)! To have an Apple Store in my home borough has me so excited. Yeah I know some people only have one Apple Store in their whole city, but New York is an exception to that rule.

I'm not surprised that Williamsburg is the first location for Brooklyn (Bedford Ave is literally packed with tourist/locals all the time). A Williamsburg location was evident.

Next should be near Barclays Center/BAM District. I believe there were talks/rumors about 286 Ashland Place. Brooklyns 'Lincoln Center' if you will.

Lastly there should be an Apple Store Downtown BK! That area has one of the largest transportation hubs in the entire city (I believe 12-15 different train lines). With City-Point rising and more retailers coming in, an Apple Store Downtown makes sense as well!

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
This news literally made my DAY (especially in all of this rain)! To have an Apple Store in my home borough has me so excited. Yeah I know some people only have one Apple Store in their whole city, but New York is an exception to that rule.

I'm not surprised that Williamsburg is the first location for Brooklyn (Bedford Ave is literally packed with tourist/locals all the time). A Williamsburg location was evident.

Next should be near Barclays Center/BAM District. I believe there were talks/rumors about 286 Ashland Place. Brooklyns 'Lincoln Center' if you will.

Lastly there should be an Apple Store Downtown BK! That area has one of the largest transportation hubs in the entire city (I believe 12-15 different train lines). With City-Point rising and more retailers coming in, an Apple Store Downtown makes sense as well!

Finally a comment that makes sense

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

A new commercial building is under construction at 66 Boerum (by Atlantic Ave). There was a rumor a while back about a future Apple store at that location.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
A new commercial building is under construction at 66 Boerum (by Atlantic Ave). There was a rumor a while back about a future Apple store at that location.

Yes I remember seeing that story as well and the renderings did look like an Apple Store could easily move in. I think we've waited for this moment for a while that every developer was attempting to cater to Apple as well haha. Though I knew Williamsburg was going to be first. I also wouldnt be surprised if they'd open somewhere in Dumbo. Empire Stores on the waterfront perhaps? It's enough time to get them (Apple) onboard there as well.

Hopefully a Downtown store will be in the works sooner than later (City Point would be good since we'd also have a stand alone Williamsburg store.)

I'm just happy with a 20,000 Apple Store anywhere in my borough!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.