Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Residential lock manufacturer Kwikset revealed its extension of the Kevo platform with Kevo Plus at CES 2015, which features the ability to enable remote access capabilities for the Bluetooth smart lock. Kevo Plus, available this spring, establishes a direct online connection to the Kevo app, letting users lock and unlock their doors from any location in the world.

Previous Kevo account holders will be able to upgrade to Kevo Plus at any time through MyKevo.com, and will receive a free Bluetooth-enabled gateway that plugs into the user's router and allows a secure connection between the Kevo lock and a user's Kevo Plus account. The membership will also allow for unlimited and scheduled eKeys, which users can distribute using the Kevo app to allow guests access to their home immediately or at specific time and dates.

kwikset_kevo.jpg
The app doubly serves as an activity monitor for all those accessing and interacting with a user's home Kevo lock unit at any given time. Kwikset promises more upgrades in the future, including Event Scheduling to allow users to plan Kevo's locking or unlocking at predetermined periods and Lock Grouping to let users group multiple Kevo locks and send one eKey for all of them at the same time.

Also revealed today at CES 2015 is a partnership between Kevo and the Nest Learning Thermostat that will allow customers of both devices to set Nest to Home and Away modes through the Kevo app. The partnership is one of fifteen new Works With Nest connections being shown off at CES.

Under Works With Nest, the Kevo app will also prompt users, upon locking their home, to set Nest to an energy-saving Away mode, which they can customize to fit their personal preferences in the Nest itself. In reverse, when a user unlocks his or her home, Kevo will promptly ask to readjust Nest to its natural temperature.
"Kwikset's integration with Nest is an example of Kwikset's commitment to improving the Kevo user experience," says Keith Brandon, director of residential access solutions, Kwikset. "Both Nest and Kwikset add convenience to users' active, on-the-go lives and we are proud to provide added value for consumers with both products."
Nest integration is available starting today to Kevo users who have iOS 8 or greater. The iOS Kevo app is available for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: CES 2015: Kwikset Unveils 'Kevo Plus' Remote Lock Access, 'Works With Nest' Thermostat Integration

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I have a Kwikset "regular" on my back door. It's more or less disabled, since it blindly tries to ram the deadbolt after 60s, and has no idea what "state" the door is in. If the dumb thing would only look to see if the door is closed and then engage the deadbolt, i'd have them everywhere. Maybe the Kwikset Plus does it.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
So glad I returned this piece of crap lock and got an August instead. Kwikset is trying to nickel and dime users for every little thing. The August does all of this for free, except unlocking the door remotely, which can be accomplished by just sending someone a key, which is free for an unlimited number of times unlike Kevo.

Pricing is not mentioned here but it will undoubtedly be a yearly fee. I know where they can shove that. August also works way more reliably than my Kevo ever did.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
How does one drive power to these? Are we talking a full 110 run or a low-powered ~16-24 volt doorbell run with a transformer? And how do you run the wire, presumably from the hinge side of the jam through it to the knob?

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
How does one drive power to these? Are we talking a full 110 run or a low-powered ~16-24 volt doorbell run with a transformer? And how do you run the wire, presumably from the hinge side of the jam through it to the knob?

AA batteries

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010

I believe it uses good, old-fashioned batteries. At least that's how the Lockitron gets power and this seems to have a similar block above the deadbolt. In the Lockitron, the batteries last a year or so and the app lets you know when they need changing.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
AA batteries

I have two Kwikset z-wave locks (with a Vera 3 and their app which needs no ongoing fees) and they use 4 AA batteries each.

Unfortunately they go through the batteries pretty quickly. It would be nice to run a tap into the doorbell power and run it that way with a transformer so that one is not constantly replacing the batteries.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'll pass on the "Works with Nest" ecosystem. No reason for the GooglePlex to know when I'll home and when I'm not, thankyouverymuch.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Just thinking out loud here…

The door would be closed almost 100% of the time. With a low voltage power supply, there is no reason the charging contacts couldn't be located as part of the strike plate hardware. While you'd still need to get power to the door jamb, you wouldn't need to deal with unsightly wires around the hinges. It wouldn't be difficult to send power to the lock hardware only when the door was fully closed.

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
I'll pass on the "Works with Nest" ecosystem. No reason for the GooglePlex to know when I'll home and when I'm not, thankyouverymuch.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Then the next step is google can update your status on their social media to say you're away.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The August does all of this for free, except unlocking the door remotely, which can be accomplished by just sending someone a key, which is free for an unlimited number of times unlike Kevo.

How is a door unlocked remotely on the August if your guests phone is stolen/missing/misplaced/dead? Sending an eKey is not the same thing as remote unlocking it. It covers situations I've just mentioned.

Free for an unlimited amount of time up to 10 keys.

Pricing is not mentioned here but it will undoubtedly be a yearly fee. I know where they can shove that. August also works way more reliably than my Kevo ever did.

Remote unlock is an add on that is not required to use normally. Its just an extra feature you don't have to buy and use.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
I have a Kwikset "regular" on my back door. It's more or less disabled, since it blindly tries to ram the deadbolt after 60s, and has no idea what "state" the door is in. If the dumb thing would only look to see if the door is closed and then engage the deadbolt, i'd have them everywhere. Maybe the Kwikset Plus does it.

I've installed two of the older Kwikset "Titan" remote-controlled (fob) deadbolts, and have always been able to disable the automatic locking. If I recall, it's a switch inside the battery compartment that tells it to automatically lock or not.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I've installed two of the older Kwikset "Titan" remote-controlled (fob) deadbolts, and have always been able to disable the automatic locking. If I recall, it's a switch inside the battery compartment that tells it to automatically lock or not.

Yes, it is a switch, but almost the entire point i bought it was for the auto-locking.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I dont understand why they'd need to charge a recurring subscription just to give you access to a feature that most others give away for free.

Can someone help me see their reasoning aside from nickel and diming?

Nest allows you to access the device and change its settings remotely.

Philips Hue allows you to access the lights remotely.

How is the Kevo any different? Could they not just charge $39 or whatever for the "bridge" that connects to the home router just like Philips Hue does?

I wonder what would happen if you sign up for their subscription, receive the Kevo Plus bridge, and then cancel the subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.