Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming Steve Jobs biopic penned by Aaron Sorkin has entered production, with film crews setting up at Steve Jobs' childhood home in Los Altos ahead of filming that's set to take place on Friday afternoon.

CNET's Shara Tibken was on scene at the house Friday morning, watching as the film's production team finished transforming the garage into what it might have looked like back in 1976, when Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were working on the original Apple I computers.

stevejobsbiopicset.jpg
The garage of Steve Jobs' childhood home, via CNET's James Martin
The biopic, which is based on Walter Isaacson's best selling Steve Jobs biography, is said to cover three of Jobs' most important product launches -- the Macintosh computer in 1984, the NeXT computer in 1988, and the release of the iPod in 2001. Filming is starting at Jobs' childhood home, but later, film crews are expected to move on to areas in San Jose and Berkeley.

Directed by Danny Boyle, famous for Slumdog Millionaire, the biopic will star Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs and Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak. Fassbender has had high-profile roles in movie like 12 Years a Slave and Inglourious Basterds, but he is perhaps most well-known in recent years for his role as Magneto in X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Rogen recently starred in The Interview and is also known for Neighbors, Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, and This is the End. Though mostly known for his comedic roles, Rogen has also had roles in more serious movies like 50/50 and Take This Waltz.

Kate Winslet, known for Titanic and Divergent, will take on a leading female role, and Jeff Daniels of The Newsroom will play former Apple CEO John Sculley. Steve Jobs' former girlfriend Chrisann Brennan will be played by Katherine Waterston, and Michael Stuhlbarg will play early Apple employee Andy Hertzfeld.

A full gallery of photos of early production on the Steve Jobs biopic in Los Altos can be found over at CNET.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Biopic Filming Begins at Jobs' Childhood Home in Los Altos

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Wow a Jobs movie! I wish more people would produce something like this, sounds so unique and incredible!

/s

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
The house looks too modern now, no white wash with blue windows. I guess It would have likely been easier to have built a set of what it looked like before the home improvements. Looks like its lost that 1950s suburbia feel.

Either way I look forward to the movie.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Oh God! I thought this movie was pulled from production. Nothing but a money grab.

I'd rather see the Interview again. At least Seth Rogen is in it and I will pretend I'm watching Steve Woz.

Last edited:

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Word behind the scenes is that the script is fantastic. Talent behind the project is very strong, too. Looking forward to the first great Steve Jobs flick!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Can't be any worse than jOBS, even with Seth Rogen in it.

Don't see it coming close to Pirates of Silicon Valley though. Noah Wyle absolutely nailed that part.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I'm looking forward to watching this film. Everything I see going into it leads me to believe it will be excellent.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Good that they're actually shooting on some locations. All the press seemed to suggest it would focus entirely on the three product launches, so looks like that's not true and there will be some other bits in there. Lovely.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
It's already out...Pirates of Silicon Valley :cool:

Was good. Far from great. I believe this film could be on a different level-- Academy material.

----------

Quietly entered production. With all the fits and starts the film company would rather forget.

The studio that's working on it now, Universal, never faced any issues. It was all Sony's problems until they passed it over.

----------

Can't wait to read your review of the movie, Tim.

Nope, just a big film buff (and filmmaker)!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Looks like every other home here in Northern California that isn't an Eikler.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I was at the house a year ago while on a trip during New Years. There are all these signs that say "Private Property" and such so I'm surprised that the owners allowed filming there. Now I'm wondering how much the production company is paying the owners to film there.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I hope they use Final Cut Pro X to edit, given this is snottywood, I guess it is going to be one of the classic twins, Adobe or Avid that gets the nod....

Steve would not be happy if it was edited on Avid!!

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I hate Rogen and that other curly haired look a like kid who I get mixed up who played Woz in the other Jobs movie...great that I get them mixed up and they're both playing Woz is two different films and I hate both of them.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I was at the house a year ago while on a trip during New Years. There are all these signs that say "Private Property" and such so I'm surprised that the owners allowed filming there. Now I'm wondering how much the production company is paying the owners to film there.

My first thought too. Wonder how much they paid. I suppose if a Hollywood film wanted to film at my house, I'd probably let them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.