Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call covering the first fiscal quarter of 2015, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about the sales split between the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus. He declined to provide specific numbers on the split, but he did confirm that the iPhone 6 was the most popular device.

"Obviously to sell 74.5 million devices, they were all popular," Cook said. "Both did incredibly well. We're really proud of them, along with the iPhone 5s and 5c."

According to Cook, there was some clear geographical preference for the iPhone 6 vs the iPhone 6 Plus. Some locations skewed higher to iPhone 6 Plus preference, while others preferred the iPhone 6. He didn't specify which regions preferred which devices, but data has suggested Asian countries favored the iPhone 6 Plus.

iphone6-stock.jpg
During the call, Cook also mentioned that the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus brought the highest Android switcher rate over the course of the last three years and that there's still a lot of opportunity to see growth as only a "small fraction" of existing iPhone users (in the low teens) have upgraded to a new device. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have brought the highest number of customers new to iPhone than in any prior iPhone launch. "We saw more new customers to iPhone than we've ever seen before," said Cook.

Cook said the company is getting "great feedback" about the quality of the products that they're shipping, and that in emerging markets, iPhone growth was "absolutely stunning." The company is very bullish on the iPhone going forward, expecting to see a lot of new adopters in Q2 2015 as well.

"We believe that it's the best smartphone in the world," said Cook.

Apple managed to reach supply/demand balance on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in January, when shipping dates finally hit 24 hours. Before that, iPhone supplies remained somewhat constrained throughout the holiday season.

Today's earnings report revealed record iPhone sales, at 74.5 million, or 46 percent growth year over year. The iPhone makes up an impressive 69 percent of Apple's revenue, which hit $74.6B during the quarter.

Article Link: iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Brought More Android Switchers, New Customers Than Prior Models

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
The 6 plus was the sole reason I did not wait for the next galaxy phone. I love ios but I wanted a big screen so bad..... when I found out about the 6 plus all desire to buy a galaxy went away, tbh Im glad I went iphone again

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
I switched

I was a long time Mac and iOS user and decided to switch to Android after wanting something more. I owned three devices in my time, HTC M7, Moto X, HTC M8. They all felt like they were missing something though. Was so happy to see the 6 Plus announced. And couldn't be happier for it to sync so perfectly with my OS X computer. 

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Third paragraph says Apple considers April to be early 2015, "which Apple considers to be the first four years of the month"

OP: You might want to fix that. I'd have written you privately to point out the error but couldn't figure out how.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Interesting stat on the iPhone 6 Plus in Asia.

----------

I still admire the design of my iPhone 6 every day. And I've had it since September 19th

I admire the design as well, but can't stand the slipperiness.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
maybe existing owners arent upgrading because to anybody with the existing devices, knowing they're still packing 1GB ram is a big turn off. It was for me. Im waiting for the 6S.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Even though I expected the iPhone sales to be ground-breaking for the last quarter, this has just blown my mind. Incredible that Apple managed to do it again! :D

I really love my iPhone 6 as well, it's a fantastic product. The best iPhone I've ever had. That may sound as a cliché, but I never had a 'new' iPhone. So one right after the release. Also, I always thought 3.5 or 4 inch as a display size would be enough to me. But now I truly understand how amazing a bigger display can be. The iPhone 4S my father took over from me feels soooooooo damn small now. xD

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
As a long time iPhone user I wish Apple would give me a phone with the 5/5S industrial design, iPhone 6 display size and the 6 Plus's resolution. Now that would be a phone! With 2GB of LPDDR and the latest internals of course.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Better than Android despite all the Issues

As much as I really hate my iPhone now and iOS 8 (buggy "mess") Android is just a mess overall. Every time I dip my toe in the Android waters (because I prefer Android hardware), I go crawling back to the safe confines of iOS. There are just too many buggy apps in the Android market, it feels disjointed and doing simple things like syncing music seems arcane and obtuse to me - and I work in Tech so I'm not a complete newb..

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
As much as I really hate my iPhone now and iOS 8 (buggy "mess") Android is just a mess overall. Every time I dip my toe in the Android waters (because I prefer Android hardware), I go crawling back to the safe confines of iOS. There are just too many buggy apps in the Android market, it feels disjointed and doing simple things like syncing music seems arcane and obtuse to me - and I work in Tech so I'm not a complete newb..

What android hardware do you prefer? I think apple hardware is top notch but there are some awesome looking android phones too. Most I think are **** but some like the one plus one and the Moto X are pretty nice. I don't care much about specs because they mean very little when running a different OS.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Really interesting stuff. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the year, as contracts end and people choose to switch who have so far waited.

I wonder how much market share Apple will steal from Android/Samsung. Or, if the Galaxy S6 will stop the switchers.

----------

Who would downgrade to 1GB DRAM? At least wait until 6S.

iOS apps use less RAM than Java based Android apps though, so not as bad as it sounds at first :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
the switches are always good :D

Now, why the hell DID they switch when its about the same size anyway phone anyway as some of the Android models?

Curiosity kills the cat...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I am looking forward to the changes with the iPhone going forward. Let hope Apple keeps the momentum and has some real surprises coming up in the next 2 years.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
I had the first iPhone on the 1st day and kept buying them until the 4S. At that time I wanted some more real estate and Apple didn't seem to want to get into the bigger phones, so after all those Apple years, I switched to the S3. My Android experience was pretty good, I liked bring able to do things I couldn't do with the iPhone, such as the file system. So while I was happy with the OS, I had issues with the phones. The S3 broke in less than a year. The screen started to turn blue and then black in the corner and this discoloration kept growing until the whole screen just died. Then I got an S4, which was nicer, but the battery wasn't lasting for longer than a few hours. Then I switched to the Note3, which is my favorite of all Android devices, but again, the hardware is not holding up. The USB connection is worn out and the charging is pretty challenging. It goes unresponsive from time to time and the touchscreen is acting funny a lot.

So after Apple finally released a screen size that I need, I went back to having iPhones and so far, I am very happy. It will take some big feature to lure me away again.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I had the first iPhone on the 1st day and kept buying them until the 4S. At that time I wanted some more real estate and Apple didn't seem to want to get into the bigger phones, so after all those Apple years, I switched to the S3. My Android experience was pretty good, I liked bring able to do things I couldn't do with the iPhone, such as the file system. So while I was happy with the OS, I had issues with the phones. The S3 broke in less than a year. The screen started to turn blue and then black in the corner and this discoloration kept growing until the whole screen just died. Then I got an S4, which was nicer, but the battery wasn't lasting for longer than a few hours. Then I switched to the Note3, which is my favorite of all Android devices, but again, the hardware is not holding up. The USB connection is worn out and the charging is pretty challenging. It goes unresponsive from time to time and the touchscreen is acting funny a lot.

So after Apple finally released a screen size that I need, I went back to having iPhones and so far, I am very happy. It will take some big feature to lure me away again.

Iphones are though, that's a fact. Got the 5.6 year old 3GS to prove it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.