Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's second OS X 10.10.3 beta builds on the emoji groundwork laid with the first OS X 10.10.3 beta, introducing all new emoji and emoji skin tone modifiers. When selecting an emoji with a skin tone, such as one of the many people emoji, it's now possible to choose a specific skin tone from one of six options.

There are also several new people emoji that introduce greater diversity. Family emoji now include multiple same sex couples, both with children and without, all with variable skin tone options. Apple first promised to add more diversity to its emoji character set in early 2014, stating at that time that it was working with the Unicode Consortium to add more characters, and it appears the company will be making good on that pledge with the release of 10.10.3.

10_10_3_emoji.jpg
Along with a range of diversified people emoji, today's update brings 32 new country flags, including flags for Canada, Australia, and India.

newflags.jpg
Apple has also made several changes to emoji that are related to Apple products. The existing standard watch emoji has been replaced with an emoji that's based on its upcoming Apple Watch, with a black band and an analog watch face. The iPhone emoji has been updated to resemble the iPhone 6, and the computer emoji is now an iMac.

apple_watch_emoji.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-02-23-at-2.30.16-PM.jpg
In addition to new emoji characters, OS X 10.10.3 introduces a renamed Character palette that focuses more heavily on emoji. Accessible through the "Edit" menu in most Mac apps, the palette was previously named "Special Characters," but is labeled "Emoji & Symbols" in OS X 10.10.3. The emoji picker has also been redesigned, featuring a layout with a single larger vertical-scrolling page for easier access to emoji.

The same diversified emoji options will be coming to iOS as well. Today's iOS 8.3 beta 2 update includes the same diversified emoji options and a redesigned emoji picker.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: OS X 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3 Beta 2 Updates Introduce New Emoji, Skin Tone Modifiers

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Diversity my ass, emojis are so great because they are actually free from racial influences, or actually, have been now.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Serious?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see this is pretty high up in Apple's priority, I kind of wished that they spent their liimited time and energy fixing the existing bugs instead.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Diversity my ass, emojis are so great because they are actually free from racial influences, or actually, have been now.

My sentiments exactly.

Well, at least they added the Mexico flag. Here's hoping they add tacos :p

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell

Um...the default emojis are yellow or white. that's not what I consider free of "racial influence"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well finally! About damn time if you ask me.

At least now we can all get some sleep. :)

Yes no one could sleep nights knowing there were no same sex couple emoji with children. It's so nice to see Apple tackling such important problems.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar

What? Only the yellow ones are race-free. For the others, to paraphrase Henry Ford... currently you can have any race you want with emojis as long as it's white.

What Apple did here was rather brilliant. Think about this, the system is fully backwards compatible. The receiver will still see the emoji pallet based on their system, but if they're current on iOS or OS X, they'll see the updated emojis. Plus, they've done this without adding clutter. The UI presents them as modifiers to existing emojis, not as new individual emojis.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Can't wait to see the Jony Ive video describing the thought process that went into the design of these new emojii..... :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I see this is pretty high up in Apple's priority, I kind of wished that they spent their liimited time and energy fixing the existing bugs instead.

It's obvious this kind of stuff is high-up on Tim Cook's priority list. Meanwhile copy/paste and text selection in general still sucks in Safari on iOS 8.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

the logic with these type of posts is always faulty. Apple is always focusing on bugs and they can always allocate more resources if they think certain features require it.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell

Yes I'm sure they deterred billions of dollars from the engineering department to the art department.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
The only thing I'd care about would be having every country's flag, just because I sometimes want to send a flag but don't have it available. Who actually uses the non-yellow faces?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
So, no surprises that people are gonna moan that Apple are wasting time on this. Because Apple will have only spent the entire time, using every member of staff, to solely work on this....... #

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can't wait to see the Jony Ive video describing the thought process that went into the design of these new emojii..... :rolleyes:

Nah, that would come from Tim Cook. He's the one obsessing over stuff like this. Like incorporating gay rights into a cybersecurity speech.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
Emoji are a terrible idea, culturally. We have a wonderful system of language that we can use to express concepts with any degree of precision desired. It is idiotic to instead use a picture based language that only allows for ambiguity. The popularity of emoji is a step backwards for society.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Emoji are a terrible idea, culturally. We have a wonderful system of language that we can use to express concepts with any degree of precision desired. It is idiotic to instead use a picture based language that only allows for ambiguity. The popularity of emoji is a step backwards for society.

There are so many, many things I'd worry about before I cared that much (one way or the other) about emoji.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.