Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

podcasts.png
The continued rise of smartphone and tablet adoption and the addition of Podcasts as a stock app on iOS 8 has resulted in significant growth for podcasts in the United States, reports Ad Age. Overall consumption of podcasts experienced 18% growth in the U.S. between Spring and Fall 2014 as Americans now listen to approximately 21.1 million hours of podcasts per day, according to Edison Research.

The resurgence of podcasts arrives around a decade after the audio format became established for iPod and iTunes, and the sudden rise in popularity has some podcast makers excited. "Creatively, we are entering a new golden age," said Matthew Lieber, co-founder of the podcasting startup Gimlet Media. "In terms of the golden age of the business," he added, "we're just getting started."

A direct beneficiary of the so-called "podcast renaissance" is Serial, a spin-off of This American Life that has amassed close to 72 million downloads since it started being aired last fall. Serial is based upon a Baltimore murder case in 1999, in which detectives arrest the ex-boyfriend of a high school senior that disappears after school one day. All twelve episodes are available through iTunes and on the Serial website for free.

While we may be entering the "golden age" of podcasts, the report finds that brand advertisers are still spending significantly less dollars on the medium than more traditional forms of media such as broadcast television, radio, newspapers and magazines. Advertising agency ZenithOptimedia reported last year that podcast ad spending growth would remain flat through at least the next two years.
Podcasting has been an advertising backwater. A ZenithOptimedia report from June 2014 -- before "Serial" debuted -- said podcast ad spending would remain at $34 million annually through 2016. That's a small fraction of what marketers earmark for other media. Ad buyers and media executives say about 80% of the ads played during podcasts are direct-response, prompting listeners to visit a website or call a 1-800 number. Only 20% represents brand advertisers.
The rise in popularity of podcasts is attributed to several other factors, including the wider availability of connected cars that make in-car listening to podcasts much easier for daily commuters. New York Magazine noted last October that the renaissance of podcasting goes hand-in-hand with the improved quality of podcasts, as more content makers turn to the platform as a cheaper alternative over hosting a TV show or radio show.

Podcasts emerged around 2005 as episodic audio series that can span anywhere from a few minutes to several hours in length. Apple users with an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac or other device to listen with can subscribe to podcasts through iTunes to receive the latest podcasts. A wide range of podcasts are available in iTunes based on genres such as news, technology, fashion, food and restaurants, general talk shows, education and more.

Article Link: Podcasts Entering 'Golden Age' After Experiencing Surge in Growth

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Owned tons of Apple products since 2008 and yet I never started using Podcasts until last month.

Listening to Bill Maher's Real Time on the bus to college every week is entertaining and I get to learn lots about US and global news and current affairs. :)

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
It would have been nice to include some of the more popular 3rd party podcast apps in the article.

Myself, I've been listening to different Podcasts since 2005. This inspired to look one last time for one of the first podcasts I subscribed to, "Wine for Newbies", that I thought had disappeared into the annals of internet history. But I see that they're all on archive.org now. Awesome!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Besides Serial and This American Life mentioned in the article, there are so many podcats that I listen to regularly and that make my commute so much better. For example, my favorites are:

- Radiolab
- Freakonomics Radio
- 99% Invisible
- Planet Money

RandomIan

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
Canada-Eh
I have been a heavy podcast listener since 2005 and listen daily during my commutes. I love the format, and love that they still are not controlled or filtered or even censored.

Podcasts emerged around 2005 as episodic audio series that can span anywhere from a few minutes to several hours in length.

A VERY small portion of podcasts can be considered episodic. Lots of them are just people talking about nothingness, they do not have to be listened to in order. If people are wanting to dive in to a show, dont feel daunted by the fact that there is over 500 episodes in some cases (Like The Mediocre Show, that has been around since 2005) just download and enjoy. It really is the best medium for "talk radio". Much better then anything else on the AM, FM or Satellite dial.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I've been listening to podcasts for years. Ever since I used to download new episodes to my iPod Classic and take it in the car with me to listen on my commute to work. I still do that today, but now I have my iPhone connected to my car since my iPod Classic died several years ago. I typically listen to mainly EDM or Ambient music podcasts, but there are a lot of awesome podcasts out there for whatever interests you.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I have excessive trouble keeping podcasts in sync between two macs and my iphone. They are never in the same state, with each one having different amounts of unplayed episodes, downloaded episodes and even subscriptions. As a result, I rarely use podcasts in the car, and just stick with one mac for podcast audio.

It sucks.

Overcast? Because most of my listening is done on the macs.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Funny you mentioned that, because last week I downloaded my first podcast in 7 years! Something big must be happening. :eek:

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Owned tons of Apple products since 2008 and yet I never started using Podcasts until last month.

Listening to Bill Maher's Real Time on the bus to college every week is entertaining and I get to learn lots about US and global news and current affairs. :)

DISCLAIMER: I'm all over the map politically so this isn't a anti-liberal statement.....

Only listening to Bill Maher to learn about news and current affairs is like only asking a DA to give you summary of how a crime happened. More that just being one sided, he is also an entertainer first and commentator second. Entertaining yes, but not the best place to form an opinion on current events.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
DISCLAIMER: I'm all over the map politically so this isn't a anti-liberal statement.....

Only listening to Bill Maher to learn about news and current affairs is like only asking a DA to give you summary of how a crime happened. More that just being one sided, he is also an entertainer first and commentator second. Entertaining yes, but not the best place to form an opinion on current events.

I get pretty much all of my news analysis Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, and John Oliver (excluding the news that related to my job, which I get through relevant websites in my field). I think our entertainers have been doing a better job of bringing us relevant analysis on today's news than any cable news channel or broadcast nightly news program. Better is an understatement really. I find nightly news programs to be borderline unwatchable.

Edit: Upon further reflection, and relevant to this article, I also get local news from podcats. In Boston, the WBUR NPR Morning Edition podcast is great to catch up on what's going on in the city.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Podcasts are a great source of entertainment. It's also great for education. I'm following one now to help me brush up on some conversational French, for example.

RandomIan

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
Canada-Eh
I don't need or want to sync podcasts from my iPhone. I use DownCasts on my iPhone when I commute.

Agreed, I use PocketCasts for my podcasting needs. The Apple Podcast app is far too bulky and bloated to use. When there is new episode out, I want it downloaded and queued up in my list so I don't have to fumble around to get it ready to go.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
"Scriptnotes", a great weekly pcast in screenwriting, hosted by two big credited screenwriters, has been my weekly go-to for last two years. A tight hour with contemporary topics for writers including script analyses, tips on writing, legal issues and WGA and is free simply because these guys love writing and want to share (and are more than financially set from their script sales). They recently added a $2 month option for archive access and more, but what drives it is their passion for writing.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I use Castro. I don't like how Overcast will download everything automatically, and it has a streaming option unlike it.

Let your iPhone do all the work and just AirPlay it to your Mac with one of the various apps. It's weird, but it works.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Strangely enough I usually listen to "podcasts" that are embedded directly in websites or posted to YouTube—usually with a video component that I keep on in the background while I work on stuff and occasionally switch over to if I want to see what they're showing on screen. Or I listen to music podcasts that are posted to Rdio or SoundCloud.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I have excessive trouble keeping podcasts in sync between two macs and my iphone. They are never in the same state, with each one having different amounts of unplayed episodes, downloaded episodes and even subscriptions. As a result, I rarely use podcasts in the car, and just stick with one mac for podcast audio.

Overcast? Because most of my listening is done on the macs.

I'd try Overcast. The killer feature for me (Smart Speed) isn't free, but most of the app is--and on the Mac side there's a surprisingly decent web player which does sync with the app (if you create an optional free account).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.