Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The international debut of the Apple Watch in magazines across the world continues this week with the wrist-worn device making a cover appearance on Chinese fashion magazine YOHO. The upcoming April issue of the magazine features actor and pop icon Archie Kao wearing an Apple Watch Sport with a white band on the cover and showcases other fashion shots of the wrist-worn device in a related story.

Yoho-China-Apple-Watch.png
Kao has been acting in Hollywood films and TV shows for nearly two decades, making regular appearances in series such as Chicago P.D., Power Rangers Lost Galaxy and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. The actor was born in Washington D.C., but splits his time between living in Los Angeles and Beijing. He married Chinese actress Zhou Xun at a charity event in Hangzhou, China in July 2014.

Apple has been marketing the Apple Watch in a number of magazines over the past few months, including Self, Vogue, Style and East Touch, as it continues to position the wrist-worn device as a fashion item. Apple is expected to provide more details about the Apple Watch at its highly-anticipated "Spring Forward" media event on March 9th at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

Article Link: Apple Watch Magazine Tour Continues in Chinese Fashion Magazine 'YOHO'

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
"Apple Watch in a magazine" is the new "Irrelevant piece of news on the Steve Jobs movie" News article.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
"Apple Watch in a magazine" is the new "Irrelevant piece of news on the Steve Jobs movie" News article.

Agree completely. We know Apple's advertising strategy is going to include a bunch of celebrities wearing it. That's how you get fashion accessories to go mainstream.

Although in MacRumors defense, it's still interesting to see stuff like this in the lead up to the watch release.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Go Angela! Possibly the best print advertising they've ever done.. Someone else mentioned it in another thread, the watch is already iconic.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
The print design classes in China must be seriously lacking.

Oh wait. Apple taught us not to use relevant shading, colours, styling and drop shadows.

All good then!

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
*sigh of relief* Sweet that at least a few Apple fans and Apple Watch admirers posted ahead of me. Yesterday, I thought that I accidentally got into some Fandroid or anti-Apple forums related to this.

My wrist and money are ready.

Woz: "Apple Watch is an art."
iF Design Award Jury (the Design's Oscar Awards): "Apple Watch is already an icon."

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Apple must be spending a fortune in advertising.

Oh, there is a positive spin to this and I am not disagreeing with you, at least they are not spending a fortune bashing another company to sell their new upcoming product. If this new product will fail, we cannot blame Apple for not even trying. They are not complacent that this will be a sure hit since the other smartwatches already out are having lackluster than expected sales. Yeah, there will be diehards like me who will buy AW unseen in person. But I know and can determine what great design and beautiful & useful product is once I see one with all the renderings & specs laid out even on paper especially if it is made by the company I value/trust/respected/love. Apple cannot just rely on a few percentage diehard fans who will for sure buy this because that number might not be enough so ...

After many years of having watch-less wrist, I am going to finally wear a beautiful and extraordinary watch again (made by a company I love).

Last edited:

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds weird? I wonder how my fiancee would like it if I said our wedding was going to be a charity event.

There's probably some symbolism. Lots of Asian cultures have a thing with symbolism.

An Indian friend of mine had to consult with some kind of mystic to determine the best position of the stars to pick a date for their wedding.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And this is showing off a Sport watch which puts a hole in the idea that Apple is only marketing to the 1%.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not that I didn't already want one, but seeing this watch more and more, would want a person want it. Great job, Apple!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple must be spending a fortune in advertising.

Doubt it will even come close to Samsung's "Next Big Thing™" spend or the $400M+ Microsoft spent to have the NFL use Surface tablets as props. :D

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
And this is showing off a Sport watch which puts a hole in the idea that Apple is only marketing to the 1%.

To more than a billion of population*. :eek: I know, maybe only 888 are buying there. :D

* All right. 1.363B of people as of 2013 by which the male outnumbers a little the female. But then only a few thousands among them are Apple fans. And at the end of the day, only 1% are interested or will be buying the Sport model/all models. However, just for fun, let's say 1% of the entire 1.4 billion population, regardless, will be buying ... It is still a whopping 14 million, right? ... 0.1% will still be 1.4 million. Still more than what the entire Droid smartwatches sold last year or Pebble's. IN. JUST. ONE. COUNTRY. FOR. AW. Hehe

And at worst, lastly, it gotta be 888 not 666. :D

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
To more than a billion of population*. :eek: I know, maybe only 888 are buying there. :D

* All right. 1.363B of people as of 2013 by which the male outnumbers a little the female. But then only a few thousands among them are Apple fans. And at the end of the day, only 1% are interested or will be buying the Sport model/all models. However, just for fun, let's say 1% of the entire 1.4 billion population, regardless, will be buying ... It is still a whopping 14 million, right? ... 0.1% will still be 1.4 million. Still more than what the entire Droid smartwatches sold last year or Pebble's. IN. JUST. ONE. COUNTRY. FOR. AW. Hehe

And at worst, lastly, it gotta be 888 not 666. :D

You misunderstand him. He is saying that Apple isn’t alienating those who can’t afford the luxury Apple Watch Edition by also marketing the Sport version.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

Except that in China being able to afford even the Sport watch probably puts one in the upper tier of income....maybe not 1% but probably top 10% if not less. Still 10% of a billion plus people is a large market.

hippi

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Hmmm

When I first read the name of the publication I though it was a magazine marketed towards pimps. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.