Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's F8 Facebook Developer Conference, Facebook debuted its new Messenger Platform, a major update to the Messenger service that allows users to send content like GIFs, photos, videos, and more from third-party apps within the Facebook Messenger app for iOS.

Beginning today, iOS app developers can build Facebook Messenger support into their apps, making them directly accessible within the Facebook Messenger app. Facebook has already worked with more than 40 developers, so apps with Messenger support are already available in the iOS App Store.

facebookmessengerforios.jpg
Apps can be accessed in the Facebook Messenger app for iOS when the "More" icon is tapped within a conversation. This opens up a list of available apps that can be installed, and when tapping install, you'll be taken to the app's install page in the iOS App Store.

The way third-party apps work with Messenger on iOS is a bit convoluted. Apps are installed independently, but those that support the Messenger Platform will send their content via Messenger. For example, if you install GIF app Giphy on your iPhone (which is one of the new apps that supports the Messenger Platform), tapping on it from within the Messenger app will open the separate iOS app to let you choose and send a GIF.

In the Giphy app, you will see a list of all your Messenger friends, and once you tap to send a GIF to one of them, you will be returned to the Messenger app and your original Messenger conversation. From there, you can continue on the conversation, send additional GIFs, or send other content from other third-party apps. Content can be viewed in the Facebook desktop app, but sending it can only be done from an iOS device.

There are a wealth of third-party apps available in Facebook Messenger for iOS right now. Apps include GIF apps like Giphy, emoji apps, sticker apps, video apps, collage apps, and more. All of the apps are being released today in the iOS App Store and have been specially developed for use with the Facebook Messenger app.

While most of the apps have been developed by third parties, Facebook has released its own apps for Messenger, including Stickered, Selfied, and Shout. Third-party apps include ClipDis, Giphy, Bitmoji, ESPN, Camoji, Talking Tom, and Emu.

Facebook has faced some criticism for the way it's handled its iOS apps, most notably removing messages access from the main Facebook app and forcing users to download Facebook Messenger, but today's update with expanded content for the iOS app may change public opinion and could draw in users who have been reluctant to download the Messenger app for iOS.

Facebook Messenger for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Turns Messenger Into a Platform, Allows Third-Party iOS App Integration

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
As soon as Facebook forced you to download Messenger, I deleted the app from my phone. I use the web version and the overall site much less now.

eskemo

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
I never downloaded the Messenger app in hopes they would reverse course. Now I am just happy checking messages from my computer. Probably makes me more productive actually! Thanks Facebook!

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Why would any other developer buy into an app that's totally unecessary, widely hated by users and consistently receives 1 star ratings?

I just bookmarked facebook.com in Safari instead of installing messenger, which works perfectly well for reading and writing Facebook messages.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why would any other developer buy into an app that's totally unecessary, widely hated by users and consistently receives 1 star ratings?

I just bookmarked facebook.com in Safari instead of installing messenger, which works perfectly well for reading and writing Facebook messages.
Probably because despite the almost purely principled hate that isn't really based on much, there are tons of people who actually have and use the app.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Oh i get it. They're breaking out that function to turn it into a much larger app.

I must say, they woulda done better to tell us that up front. Like everyone, i questioned the need for a 2nd app just for chatting, and haven't really used it.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Oh great, now the Message app will be so bloated that it will be comprised of several apps! Getting closer and closer to ditching Facebook all together!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Know what was better? When you didn't need a second damn app to read a message.

Never downloaded messenger, never will.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh great, now the Message app will be so bloated that it will be comprised of several apps! Getting closer and closer to ditching Facebook all together!
Apps inside an app? Appception?
Except as the article shows that's not how it's going to work. It seems to be more along the lines of how third party keyboards work in iOS 8.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Uh oh!

This is NOT a good idea. Apple has very carefully made it very clear as to how they encrypt messages, so that even they can't read them.

Now, Facebook want to be the middleman here. What will happen? Well, seeing as how Messenger will be handling the messages from iMessage, rather than Apple, what will happen to encryption? I imagine that, like Google, Facebook keeps all of your messages, and these of whom you send them to, for their own use.

By by security and privacy!

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
As soon as Facebook forced you to download Messenger, I deleted the app from my phone. I use the web version and the overall site much less now.

Messenger lasted five minutes past the "give all your contacts to Facebook" messages repeated...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is NOT a good idea. Apple has very carefully made it very clear as to how they encrypt messages, so that even they can't read them.

Now, Facebook want to be the middleman here. What will happen? Well, seeing as how Messenger will be handling the messages from iMessage, rather than Apple, what will happen to encryption? I imagine that, like Google, Facebook keeps all of your messages, and these of whom you send them to, for their own use.

By by security and privacy!
How does what's described in the article relate to iMessage?

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
To all the people who rely on Web version for messengers......

You do realize there is a huge chance that they might axe the Mobile web version of messeges in order to force people to use the Messanger app. Rumors are from my sources, they may do that this year.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Lots o' hate when Facebook introduced a separate Messenger app. What if the reverse happened?

Imagine if Facebook started out as simply a messaging platform. You download the app and you can send messages to people. Simple, right?

But then later they add a bunch of other stuff... profiles, status updates, photo albums, videos, events, groups, etc. Basically everything NOT related to messaging.

So wouldn't you be glad they made a separate app just for messaging?

I'll tell you why I like the separate Messenger app: it does one thing... messaging.

I can get in... read my messages... and get out quickly. I don't have notifications, friend requests and other stuff getting in the way of reading my messages (which is what I wanted to do in the first place)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Except as the article shows that's not how it's going to work. It seems to be more along the lines of how third party keyboards work in iOS 8.

Except that, as described in the post, you will be flipped from app to app as you do things. This is precisely what I find annoying about Messages being separate from Facebook. No Thanks! That's not how third party keyboards work.

The way third-party apps work with Messenger on iOS is a bit convoluted. Apps are installed independently, but those that support the Messenger Platform will send their content via Messenger. For example, if you install GIF app Giphy on your iPhone (which is one of the new apps that supports the Messenger Platform), tapping on it from within the Messenger app will open the separate iOS app to let you choose and send a GIF.

In the Giphy app, you will see a list of all your Messenger friends, and once you tap to send a GIF to one of them, you will be returned to the Messenger app and your original Messenger conversation. From there, you can continue on the conversation, send additional GIFs, or send other content from other third-party apps. Content can be viewed in the Facebook desktop app, but sending it can only be done from an iOS device.

D28Z98

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Cool - something new from Facebook to absolutely hate more than anything in the world.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Except that, as described in the post, you will be flipped from app to app as you do things. This is precisely what I find annoying about Messages being separate from Facebook. No Thanks! That's not how third party keyboards work.
But the Messenger app itself isn't getting bigger and bigger and containing all of that within it--separate apps are used for the extra features--that's the point that was made in the earlier comment and what I was addressing.

As for flipping between apps, if it's done in the style of flipping between Messenger and Facebook apps right now, there's not much of an issue there--it's all fairly seamless and quick (sure, not as much as just going to a different screen within an app, but also not really much more than having it all inside Facebook app and going to different sections there which aren't generally isntantaneous anyway given that all kinds of different data needs to load and update for all the different parts as they are accessed and used).

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Lots o' hate when Facebook introduced a separate Messenger app. What if the reverse happened?

Imagine if Facebook started out as simply a messaging platform. You download the app and you can send messages to people. Simple, right?

But then later they add a bunch of other stuff... profiles, status updates, photo albums, videos, events, groups, etc. Basically everything NOT related to messaging.

So wouldn't you be glad they made a separate app just for messaging?

I'll tell you why I like the separate Messenger app: it does one thing... messaging.

I can get in... read my messages... and get out quickly. I don't have notifications, friend requests and other stuff getting in the way of reading my messages (which is what I wanted to do in the first place)

If I want to JUST message someone, I use iMessage to send a text or iMessage.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I want to JUST message someone, I use iMessage to send a text or iMessage.
And when you want to message those who aren't on an Apple device? And/or those who are not on a device that has a cellular connection? Or just on a (non-Apple) computer? The world is far bigger than just iMessaging and SMS for many people. What works for you might not really work or at least not be as good for many others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.