Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Pay-250x434.png
Apple Pay is now accepted by ten additional stores and partners in the United States, including T-Mobile retail stores, GameStop and a trio of NBA franchises in the Golden State Warriors, Orlando Magic and Phoenix Suns. The mobile payments service, compatible with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and soon Apple Watch, can now be used at 68 participating stores throughout the country as Apple continues to add new partners.

The full list of newly added participating stores and partners:

-- ACME
-- Davis Food & Drug
-- Firehouse Subs
-- GameStop
-- Golden State Warriors
-- Luby's
-- Orlando Magic
-- Phoenix Suns
-- Rubio's
-- T-Mobile Stores

Apple Pay is a NFC-based mobile payments service that debuted on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus last October, enabling customers to make contactless payments by holding their smartphone up to a payments terminal at participating vendors. The service is secured by Touch ID and will also be compatible with the iPhone 5 or later when paired with an Apple Watch, which is available for pre-order April 10 and goes on sale April 24.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Accepted By T-Mobile, GameStop, NBA Teams and More

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It's great that it's on Apple's Apple Pay partner list but I went to American Eagle (which is an Apple Pay partner since launch) and they still didn't support Apple Pay, nor did the employees even know anything about Apple Pay.

I feel that with Apple's extra cash, they could spend just a little money and make sure their "partners with Apple Pay" try to train employees or at least update their terminals. Or else, what's the point of being called a partner?

I love Apple Pay - I just want more places to use it.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It's growing somewhat rapidly. I can't wait until I see developments in Canada, hoping they'll expose their plans at the beginning of the WWDC presentation in June.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
It seems apple's biggest problem these days is spreading its work throughout the world... iTunes radio still isn't in the UK after 18 months; and apple pay, one of the biggest features on iPhones/ipads/apple watch is still only in the US.
Really, really annoying for loyal customers outside the US!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Or anywhere else in the world that isn't the US :mad:

To be more precise: Doesn't work for anyone who doesn't have a US card. It works just fine in the UK for US tourists with US cards. It's mostly the banks that need moving.

It's great that it's on Apple's Apple Pay partner list but I went to American Eagle (which is an Apple Pay partner since launch) and they still didn't support Apple Pay, nor did the employees even know anything about Apple Pay.

Employees don't need to know anything. They either have the hardware and it works, or they don't have the hardware and it doesn't work. Nothing that the employee can do to help you or stop you. (Well, they can hide the terminal in a drawer...)

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE

I feel that with Apple's extra cash, they could spend just a little money and make sure their "partners with Apple Pay" try to train employees or at least update their terminals. Or else, what's the point of being called a partner?

I love Apple Pay - I just want more places to use it.
AEO are indeed slow, although the local Nike Factory Store just got their new terminals like a month ago, so they finally support Apple Pay, but the local AEO's don't support it here either. I figured that out only because Nike was on the Paypass locator. Fuddruckers only upgraded 33% of their restaurants, so it seems to be quite common to not upgrade all stores, even if they are an Apple Pay partner...

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
To be more precise: Doesn't work for anyone who doesn't have a US card. It works just fine in the UK for US tourists with US cards. It's mostly the banks that need moving.

Employees don't need to know anything. They either have the hardware and it works, or they don't have the hardware and it doesn't work. Nothing that the employee can do to help you or stop you. (Well, they can hide the terminal in a drawer...)

I know that they don't need to but when Apple's website lists them as a partner and Apple Pay didn't work - I asked the employee if they accepted Apple Pay (some stores only have select registers with an NFC terminal). Yet they still didn't know.

Apple's competitive advantage is customer experience - they could at least work with retailers. It's like the time I went to get coffee at Panera's drive thru and the employee tried to grab my iPhone to put it to the register because he didn't know how Apple Pay worked. It's awkward.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Two things are going to make Apple Pay more ubiquitous:
1. Businesses updating terminals to comply with regulation. Most are doing it piecemeal since, for some, the cost is not insignificant.

2. More people updating phones to 6, 6s, 7 etc. There are still a crap ton of 4's and 5's still floating around. I think the aWatch will make a small dent in the 5's but not that big of an impact. I mean, how many people are eager to spend $350-$1000 just for the ability to spend more money via Apple Pay?

I personally think Apple was in a Catch 22. They had to announce all these partners at launch to create a buzz. It worked. Reality was that a lot of those partners weren't ready to go, and had no plans to be ready that quickly. The buzz died down and consumers realized announcing a partnership and participating aren't exactly the same thing. Not sure what could have been done differently except highlighting the partners that would be ready day one.

RayDonovan

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Considering most of the world is probably more geared up for wireless payments its quite annoying we've not seen anything yet.

Exactly! In Australia contactless payments terminals are everywhere. I find it strange to walk into a place that DOESN'T support it here. It really is ubiquitous.

A large selling point of the iPhone 6 was Apple pay, yet many of us could have upgraded to the 6s by the time that happens. smh

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I think they are referring to "Even though I have Apple, I'm still able to Pay"

So technically, Apple Pay is accepted everywhere.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It's actually not clear who needs to be moving. It might be Apple. I've read in a few places that Canadian big banks want Apple pay. For example, look at this interview with an RBC rep:

KW: Let’s talk about Apple Pay. What are your views on Apple Pay and its prospects in Canada, and in particular, its business model which takes a percentage of the transaction fee from issuers? How do you think Apple Pay will change the relationship between consumers and their banks and consumers and third parties?

LM: Nearly 40 percent of Canadians use Apple phones and until now we haven’t been able to talk to them about mobile payment. While the launch of Apple Pay is unknown in Canada, it is of major interest to the industry and a good thing for consumers; it provides an easy way to pay with a client’s credit or debit card. The biggest call to action is that all of us issuing banks have, together with Apple and Android, is to try and improve the consistency of the client experience at the point of sale – ubiquity, consistency and predictability matters.
she also mentions that 16% of transactions in Canada is contactless. It will probably be 20% by the end of the year. and that's without Apple pay.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I was at Staples the other day and forgot to use Apple Pay. Whoops. First Apple Pay partner I've actually shopped at since the launch of Apple Pay and I forgot to use it. Go figure. Maybe I'll shop someplace that accepts it again this year and remember to use it then.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I love using apple pay, but it is still very hit and miss as lamented by many ahead of me. I actually bought a case for my phone that holds three cards (my train pass, my driver's license, and a credit card), so that I do not need to carry anything other than the phone. I find that I only ever need to take the credit card out, and all too often.

Apple pay is great when it works, but that is frustratingly not often enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.