Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple Watch pre-orders went live early this morning, it was inevitable that Apple's first foray into wearable tech would become a mainstay on the eBay scalper circuit. Searching around the popular reseller's website this morning, MacRumors has seen prices ranging from the expected $1000 range to over $2000 for the more popular models of the Watch.

Specifically, both the 38mm and 42mm Stainless Steel Space Black Link Bracelet option, which retail for $1049 and $1099 respectively, have hit a $4200 combined price point on eBay. Both the Space Black models in the Sport and Watch collections turned out to be popular options for customers, being some of the first to see shipping times slip to June and beyond.

Apple-Watch-Trio-800x363.png
This particular listing is selling both case sizes, meaning the price for each is about $2100, doubling their retail prices. Perhaps most intriguing is that the seller wasn't even able to get in on the initial estimate of a 4-6 week dispatch time, with the potential buyer not receiving the Watches until June. The listing remains up, however, suggesting demand is likely scant at this price.

Less drastically, but still notable, is a $949 price tag for the Stainless Steel White Sport Band Watch, which cost those up and at-the-ready this morning $599. That premium eBay price tag is for a 4/24-5/8 initial delivery date, which is one of only a few listings actually stating a possible April 24 shipping date.

A 42mm Stainless Steel Milanese Loop is going for $1599, while a 42mm Stainless Steel Link Bracelet is listed for $3200. Both are set for what appears to be a 4-6 week dispatch period.

The Sport models are popping up around the site, too, with about a $200 to $300 premium over their traditional retail price. A handful of the Watches on eBay today have a disconnect between their premium price point and estimated shipping date, so it still remains most sensible to pre-order from the Apple Online Store as soon as possible for those who have yet to do so. While the models listed here are some of the more extreme cases, even the lowest cost eBay listings are easily a few hundred dollars over Apple's retail price. And many of these are also listing prices, not actual bids, meaning demand may not meet these sellers' hopes.

Article Link: Apple Watch Pre-Orders Hit eBay With Asking Prices Up to $2,000

DeadSeaMac

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Surprise! Surprise! Thank you Apple for your now expected constraint (Tim Cook's favorite word) on initial launch of any new product.

The questions is this: Are you going to be THAT PERSON who purchases your first :apple:watch on the Bay at exorbitant prices? :p

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
i can see a lot being advertised on eBay . People had nothing to loose pre-ordering ASAP, and seeing if stock ran out, had stock held, they could always return the units. I'd be interested how many of the pre-orders were genuine fans that intended on keeping them.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Lol their selling their preorders that ship in June. Wtf is going to pay that. Better off waiting till the 24th and waiting for someone to sell their watch that's inhand

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I prefer the word scalpers.

You can also call it Capitalism...

I ordered 1 for myself but for a $200 profit I might just sell it. I am patient and I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs for the first month of the device anyway and I've been on the fence. I mainly ordered it because I've bought every 1st gen device that isn't a Mac since the first iPhone launched (iphone, ipod touch, iPad) on the release day.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Lol their selling their preorders that ship in June. Wtf is going to pay that. Better off waiting till the 24th and waiting for someone to sell their watch that's inhand

I was thinking that too. These people don't have the actual watch in hand yet, so how can they put it up for bid?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
i can see a lot being advertised on eBay . People had nothing to loose pre-ordering ASAP, and seeing if stock ran out, had stock held, they could always return the units. I'd be interested how many of the pre-orders were genuine fans that intended on keeping them.

Me. Got one for myself and wife. Dispatch dates both on 4/24. Definitely not going to sell on eBay.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I have 2 on order and one will be cancelled this afternoon after my watch appointment. I could keep one of course and sell it for profits but honestly I'd rather just give someone else a chance at getting a bump up in their delivery date. I wish people didn't buy these things with the sole intention of selling. Now if you bought one and decided you weren't wild about, then sure.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
amazing.... I wonder if anyone will actually pay those prices?

Good question. If I were selling one this early I'd make sure to require immediate payment to end the auction. I think sellers may get even better prices early on if they have the watch in hand and are able to ship when the auction ends.
It will be interesting to watch.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
You really have to filter for "sold listings" to see the try market price for anything on eBay.

I bet the second one listed doesn't actually ship. $395 for a space gray stainless link? That retails for $1100.

EDIT: It looks like the auction was for the band only.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Seems the scalpers are on the prowl, without adding anything of value except higher prices.

...and "in stock for delivery ASAP*"?

*after they can get theirs of course.

----------

I have 2 on order and one will be cancelled this afternoon after my watch appointment. I could keep one of course and sell it for profits but honestly I'd rather just give someone else a chance at getting a bump up in their delivery date. I wish people didn't buy these things with the sole intention of selling. Now if you bought one and decided you weren't wild about, then sure.

When supply can fully meet demand with no special advantage (such as theater seating or similar), there is no scalping profit opportunity.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Good question. If I were selling one this early I'd make sure to require immediate payment to end the auction. I think sellers may get even better prices early on if they have the watch in hand and are able to ship when the auction ends.
It will be interesting to watch.

Same here! Even if I was a desperate buyer,I'd wait for someone to have it IN HAND. You're right...this will be interesting to see....

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I bet the second one listed doesn't actually ship. $395 for a space gray stainless link? That retails for $1100.

It's one of those "read the fine print" auctions. I bet it's just a picture of the watch or just the bracelet

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

That might turn out to be the Abble Space Gray Stainless, direct from China.

Or the one that will be bricked when the original owner flexes their kill-switch muscle soon after it's stolen from them and then flipped.

Last edited:

danox574

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Isn't this less about a place in line and more about the demand in countries where the watch will not be available for some time? I seem to recall iPhone scalpers selling nearly all stock to countries where the phones were not sold.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Every launch when I see stories like this I always think "Wow, why didn't I do that?" And then I remember I'm not a jackass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.