Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's App Store increased its revenue lead by 10 percentage points over Google's Play Store in the first quarter of 2015, according to the latest numbers from App Annie obtained by The Wall Street Journal. The App Store's revenue was also almost 70% higher than the Play Store, despite Google Play receiving 70% more app downloads during the three-month period ending March.

App-Store-Google-Play-Q1-15.jpg
Apple's increased App Store revenue helped it reverse a trend that saw Google Play slowly catch up in revenue over recent quarters, although the Play Store continued to widen its lead in overall downloads. Apple previously held about a 60% advantage in App Store revenues over Google Play during the third quarter of 2014, but that figure rose to about 70% in Q1 2015 on the strength of the United States and China.
"China was a bright spot for Apple - mirroring the strong market share gains that the iPhone made in the country. Apple's larger-screen iPhone 6 and 6 Plus proved immensely popular in the Chinese market where consumers prefer bigger display smartphones.

In the first quarter of 2015, China passed the U.S. as the top country for iOS app downloads, App Annie said. China still trails the U.S. and Japan for App Store revenue. The Google Play store does not operate officially in mainland China."
The disparity between the App Store and Google Play in terms of overall revenue and downloads is a longstanding trend between the iOS and Android storefronts. A number of popular developers turn to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch because Apple's ecosystem provides a more lucrative opportunity for earnings, while Google Play receives more downloads because there are significantly more Android users worldwide.

Article Link: App Store Increases Revenue Lead Over Google Play in Q1 2015

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
To a developer...this is old news. Makes converting apps to work with Android not worth the time and effort.

Yeah google has a what? 7 billion $ market? "If it aint got double digit in billions it aint worth it" , am I right or what?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It's amazing this is still the case. Considering Google over took them on number of apps and downloads, Apple keeping their lead in revenue despite their being (relatively) such few iOS devices is impressive.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
That might be because most popular apps on Android are actually free :p. Just saying, I know because I have to usually download apps from the ipad for my nephew and I noticed that quite a fair bit of apps are actually free on Android, and cost money on iOS..

Anyway I'm sure there are many other factors, but I suspect that certainly has a bit to do with it..

Plus I downloaded many free songs and Albums from Google Play store as well, occasionally they are given for free. I bought ColdPlay's latst album completely free for a limited time of course :p

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
To a developer...this is old news. Makes converting apps to work with Android not worth the time and effort.
How is that? If you still have an app that people are willing to pay for then it's worth it. Ok so your iOS app will make you more money but your Android app can still bring in money as well, you may as well get what Android can earn you as well instead of writing off that potential income.
Also what if your commissioned to write and app for a company you would prefer their employees to use cheaper Android company phones/tablets over iPhones/iPads? It's hardly worth writing an iOS app then, is it?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Yeah google has a what? 7 billion $ market? "If it aint got double digit in billions it aint worth it" , am I right or what?

Not when it come to maintaining updates and keep everything working smoothly on all the different flavors for android. Its not like you just convert and release on Google play and your done.

Plain and simple there is just a better ROI with the Apple Store.

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
What's new? We all know android users have less income(on average) than the iOS users.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Android is open to abuse from third party vendors (like mobogenie) who create their own stores and give away cracked/stolen apps. Apple controls its store with an iron fist. It's no wonder that the App Store makes money while Android languishes.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
The App Store's revenue was also almost 70% higher than the Play Store, despite Google Play receiving 70% more app downloads during the three-month period ending March.

In other words, Android users get more things for free while Apple users have to pay more often. When you keep your customers in a walled barrel the shooting is easy...

----------

It's no wonder that the App Store makes money while Android languishes.

Right. That's why Android users had 70% more app downloads that Apple users.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
That might be because most popular apps on Android are actually free :p.

But they might be the most popular because they're free :)

In other words, Android users get more things for free while Apple users have to pay more often. When you keep your customers in a walled barrel the shooting is easy...

Or, when people who use a platform aren't interested in buying as much, or when the available software isn't considered worth paying for... There are a multitude of possible reasons.
"When you keep your developers producing quality software, selling some of it is easier."

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
That might be because most popular apps on Android are actually free :p. Just saying, I know because I have to usually download apps from the ipad for my nephew and I noticed that quite a fair bit of apps are actually free on Android, and cost money on iOS..

Anyway I'm sure there are many other factors, but I suspect that certainly has a bit to do with it..

Plus I downloaded many free songs and Albums from Google Play store as well, occasionally they are given for free. I bought ColdPlay's latst album completely free for a limited time of course :p

So, you're saying you would pay more on Android if you were asked to?

Because it seems to me like you're reversing the causality here. Relatively speaking, Android developers appear to be more forced to lower their pricing / switch to different business models such as ads, compared to iOS developers. So, the apps are cheaper because that's what the market dictated, not the other way 'round.

How is that? If you still have an app that people are willing to pay for then it's worth it. Ok so your iOS app will make you more money but your Android app can still bring in money as well, you may as well get what Android can earn you as well instead of writing off that potential income.

You're pretending building an app for Android comes with essentially no cost.

Also what if your commissioned to write and app for a company you would prefer their employees to use cheaper Android company phones/tablets over iPhones/iPads? It's hardly worth writing an iOS app then, is it?

This does happen, but isn't that much of a factor. A company that commissions an app is already paying five figures anyway. The hardware just isn't that big a factor.

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014

----------

You may want to re-learn math. It's got 70% more app downloads because there are LOT more users. Per user, iOS has LOT more downloads.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

That depends on the what the company wants. (customer is always right).

As for my own apps doing ok at the Apple Store, converting them would really depends on the popularity of the app to even begin to investigate if it is worth converting.

IMHO, You have to weigh whether it is worth supporting an app on android vs improving your current app on iOS which always has a better ROI.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I can't wait to tell all of my friends!!! :p

I'm gonna tell all of mine too.

Wait a second I don't have any friends.. Well I did, but then I started talking about marketshare, profit margins and taptic feedback and then they all just stopped calling.. Strange.. Where are they..?

Anyway, one of them had a really cute nickname. We called him Applescruff because when he ate fruit he'd get it all over his facHEY WAIT A MINUTE IS THAT YOU??! YOU BETRAYED ME! YOU BETRAYED MMMEEEHHHHHHH!!!!!!

;)

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
When i had my Android phone i never paid for an App, yet i will quite freely buy apps without thinking about it on iOS i don't know what causes that difference in me.

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014

That's a circular reasoning. Logic 101. They're the most popular because the android users don't want to download paid apps.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009

----------

Downloads are so fraudulent you'd cry.

downloads != income

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
You may want to re-learn math. It's got 70% more app downloads because there are LOT more users. Per user, iOS has LOT more downloads.

You might want to re-learn facts. Reported September 2014 Android had 52% of users; Apple had around 40+%. That's hardly a "LOT more users" and certainly not enough to account for the difference in downloads.

----------

Or, when people who use a platform aren't interested in buying as much, or when the available software isn't considered worth paying for... There are a multitude of possible reasons.

Right. Android apps are so sucky that users download them in droves. Yea, that's it.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
I always like hearing about this.
Apple has done a great job creating a viable marketplace for developers!
We're all very grateful!!!
In my opinion, a lot mobile apps are actually under priced.
Does anybody remember how much software used to cost back when
Windows ruled the world? I don't get people that complain about app prices. Developers work very hard and deserve to be compensated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.