Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new tool created by developer Steven Troughton-Smith that allows you to search for Apple Watch app screenshots based on iTunes links has provided an early glimpse at several popular apps for the wrist-worn device. Some developers have already shared screenshots, and other websites have shared additional ones, but this tool provides the closest look yet at third-party apps for Apple Watch ahead of its April 24 launch.

Clear

Clear-Apple-Watch-800x251.png
Flipboard

Flipboard-800x251.png
RunKeeper

Screen-Shot-2015-04-22-at-12.04.25-PM-800x334.png
Shazam

Shazam-800x257.png
Twitter

Twitter-800x666.png
Yahoo Weather

Yahoo-Weather-800x247.png
Apple Watch app screenshots are required to be submitted by developers and should begin appearing on the App Store when the wrist-worn device launches on April 24, or soon after, alongside traditional iPhone and iPad screenshots. In the meantime, this tool provides an easy way to search for your favorite Apple Watch apps for a sneak preview of what they look like ahead of time.

Article Link: Popular Apple Watch App Screenshots Revealed Ahead of Friday's Launch

appleofmy"i"

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Why does Flipboard have a Watch app? This is the problem I see coming, some developers just don't get the form factor.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Checked out all of the apple watch apps for the apps I use on my iPhone. All of them look really nice! I'm still a little worried they're going to be laggy and buggy like the reviews said.

Sure it's just a software updated fix or something.

----------

appleofmy"i";21067370 said:
Why does Flipboard have a Watch app? This is the problem I see coming, some developers just don't get the form factor.

I think it looks like they did a pretty reasonable job potentially. It'd be cool if they incorporated a read later / save to pocket feature. I don't think the purpose is to actually read, it's to quickly browse articles to read when you find a longer break.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009

Actually I think it's more of headlines glance at what's going on, much like NYT is doing.

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004

Money.

It pretty much goes against everything Apple has suggested about quick interactions with Watch apps.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Mmm... Love the look of the Yahoo Weather app.

Yeah. Until they put an ad in and F it all up. F Yahoo to hell with their weather app and ads.

-Bitterness

(I'm angry because I was happy with their app and it was the best choice for me. Nothing I've found compares to their visual appeal with the accuracy of Weather Underground information. MyRadar comes close, but their icon reporting drives me nuts regarding rain: even a 5% chance of rain and it will display a rain icon. Most apps only use a rain icon if its ~30% and above. The stock Apple Weather app's icons are too difficult to read and the diarrhea splat of information at the bottom is a nightmare design choice.)

Last edited:

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
Money.

It pretty much goes against everything Apple has suggested about quick interactions with Watch apps.

As a poster said above, it's probably just headlines like in the Flipboard daily email. They probably open on your phone when you click them or something.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Any screen shots of flappy bird for the Apple Watch? I mean that I really need to see. ;):D

Frankly with an end of May delivery window, I am not stoked. Once I get my update that it is preparing to ship, then I will start the stoking.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Wouldn't it make sense to show these screenshots in one of two sizes as the actual watch? I'm sure we would have a different opinion about some of them in the smaller format they will actually be displayed.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Just to clarify.........

All these apps are actually running on the phone, yes?

The watch is just acting as a remote display for the phone, and a little user input?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it really, REALLY needs to be made 100% clear which apps are on the phone and which apps are on the watch.

EG: If you go out for a run with just the watch, can you use the Yahoo weather app?

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
the shazam app seems cool - i assume its using the watches mic. it would be cool if you could press a button to buy from itunes and it does so automatically w/o having to take the phone out. I bet Apple hasn't opened api's to do that.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I agree that some devs are missing the boat on how to utilize their apps on the Watch. It's not meant to sit there and scroll through lists of texts or be played with for 5-10 mins straight. It's meant for glances and quick responses.

Some people are asking for games and whatnot. No....

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I think it's awesome that flipboard has an apple watch app. Quickly adding stuff to my shared magazine when I'm bored. Or just skimming through headlines and adding it to pocket for reading when I have time.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I don't see anything there that would make me rush out to buy one (oh, sorry, I mean sit at home to wait for one to be delivered to me).

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Just to clarify.........

The watch is just acting as a remote display for the phone, and a little user input?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it really, REALLY needs to be made 100% clear which apps are on the phone and which apps are on the watch.

EG: If you go out for a run with just the watch, can you use the Yahoo weather app?

Only the stock apps run native on the phone. All other apps are run via WatchKit, I.e., calculations done on the phone

vixster1901

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Just to clarify.........

so true! there is a small amount of ram to store some pics and music... dat's it.

Cannot wait!

One thing I really need to do is clear the clutter off my phone. I have hundreds of apps and most of them I haven't used in years (if ever). I do this all the time where I try to clear out apps but for many of them I end up saying "well... what if xyz happens and I want to have it handy." Well, in reality, if xyz ever happened I'd probably solve the solution another way anyway since I wouldn't even consider the app I've never used.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree that some devs are missing the boat on how to utilize their apps on the Watch. It's not meant to sit there and scroll through lists of texts or be played with for 5-10 mins straight. It's meant for glances and quick responses.

Some people are asking for games and whatnot. No....

So I wonder how Apple goes about approving these. Their HIG clearly states interactions should be seconds not minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.