Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new microsite focused on the iPad, exploring the way the iPad can "change the way you do things every day." The site offers up a selection of apps and usage ideas for the iPad, organized into several categories: Cooking with iPad, Learning with iPad, Small Business with iPad, Traveling with iPad, and Redecorating with iPad.

Like the company's past advertising efforts, this new campaign aims to portray the iPad as a tool that's useful in all aspects of life that goes far beyond mere content consumption, as can be seen in the introductory video on the site. The video features people using the iPad in a whole range of situations, from cooking to managing a business.

Each section of the new site includes imagery covering what the iPad can do and a wide range of recommended apps for each purpose. "Cooking with iPad," for example, has sections on using the iPad as a cookbook, as a tool to create cookbooks, and as a prep tool for organizing ingredients to be purchased.

Some of the recommended apps include Green Kitchen, Cook, and Epicurious, and the site also recommends the Smart Cover as a tool for propping up the iPad while cooking. Siri is highlighted as a way to use the iPad hands-free in the kitchen, and a long list of apps is linked at the bottom of the page.

ipadcooking-800x308.jpg

Learning with iPad focuses on using the iPad to learn at all ages, with sections highlighting learning through play, programming, exploring space through apps like Star Walk 2, using textbooks in iBooks, using apps like Notability and Coursera for learning, and exploring free courses on iTunes U. Hobby-based apps are also included in a "Never stop learning" section.

learningwithipad-800x397.jpg

The other three iPad sections, Small Business, Traveling, and Redecorating, are equally as extensive, suggesting a range of use cases and apps for different situations that people might otherwise have missed. Every app used on the new site and within the "Everything changes for iPad" site is also listed in a special section on the App Store.

Over the course of the last few years, Apple has explored several different advertising campaigns for the iPad in an effort to spur people into purchasing one of its tablets. We've seen "Why You'll Love an iPad," "Your Verse," and "Start Something New" in 2013 and 2014.

Apple changes its iPad advertising tactics much more frequently than it does for other products, likely because its iPad sales have been down for several quarters in a row. During its the second quarter of 2015, Apple's iPad sales were down to 12.6 million from 16.35 million in the year-ago quarter.

Tim Cook has remained optimistic about iPad sales, however, suggesting that the company's future product pipeline (which includes the rumored "iPad Pro") and its efforts in the enterprise market will ultimately cause iPad sales to grow again. "I believe the iPad is an extremely good business over the long-term," he said. "When precisely it begins to grow again I wouldn't want to predict, but I strongly believe that it will."

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Everything Changes With iPad' Site

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not sure why there is always an obsession with 'growing' sales.

The iPad isn't something you need to constantly replace. I have the Air, I'm not willing to spend $600 or so to get the Air 2 just so it will go slightly faster and have the Touch ID.

I'm sure I am among millions of happy iPad owners who are not going to rush out out buy every new version that comes out.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

The iPad isn't something you need to constantly replace. I have the Air, I'm not willing to spend $600 or so to get the Air 2 just so it will go slightly faster and have the Touch ID.

I'm sure I am among millions of happy iPad owners who are not going to rush out out buy every new version that comes out.

That's true but then again why are Mac sales flourishing? That's a product you shouldn't have to constantly replace.

The iPad's software is stagnant & really needs updated. They need to add slightly more functionality in iPad's version of iOS. There's so much untapped potential.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
"I believe the iPad is an extremely good business over the long-term," he said.

Then he must be envisioning a different iPad from the current line-up, with increased functionality. The iPad is still not quite a full computer replacement. But it's getting closer.

If the next Apple Watch gains the ability to replace my iPhone for most of my simple day-to-day communication needs, then the iPad could conceivably become my primary computing device for day-to-day tasks.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Need integrated touch sensitive stylus.

Current feature set restrictive.

Sales will continue to drop.

Advertising more of the same exercise in futility.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Until they address the memory limitations, these will never be ready for anything more than casual surfing. Ever try filling out an online form with more than a few fields? Web pages automatically refresh between tabs and its inability to work with two applications at the same time pretty much cripple it in real world usage.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Did apple mention that the iPad iOS is exactly the same as the iPhone with no extra capabilities taking advantage of the screen size and 2GB RAM?

----------

Until they address the memory limitations, these will never be ready for anything more than casual surfing. Ever try filling out an online form with more than a few fields? Web pages automatically refresh between tabs and its inability to work with two applications at the same time pretty much cripple it in real world usage.

2GB RAM in iPad Air 2, I can have 5-6 tabs open and 4-5 apps open without any refresh

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state

I would be in that camp. I did replace my iPad 3 but it was a space issue rather then a performance one. Even then, I opted for a refurb 4 64gb (more bang for my $$) to replace the 16gb 3 rather then get a brand new (16gb) iPad air for the same price at the time. I don't see a need in upgrading my current one anytime soon since it is working perfectly fine for my needs.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA

Agree.
We went from the iPad 1 to the 4 and the user experience is the SAME.
Yes, the pixel density is higher but the same issues with Safari crashing still EXISTS!

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

Apple is a business. Like any business its objective is to earn a profit for its owners (shareholders).

In business if you don't grow you will eventually be overtaken by your competitors. Think of Nokia and Blackberry in this regard.

I like the idea of the Web site. But I don't think it will move the needle very much in terms of iPad sales. As least not as much as Apple needs in order to show that the business is growing.

Tim Cook made fun of Microsoft's Surface device in one of his Keynotes. He said that Apple's competitors are having trouble figuring out what they are supposed to be.

With smartphones getting larger and laptop PC's getting smaller, I think the time is coming where Apple needs to figure out what the iPad will be.

I love my iPad. But as others have stated, it is really just a larger screen for running iPhone apps.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Did apple mention that the iPad iOS is exactly the same as the iPhone with no extra capabilities taking advantage of the screen size and 2GB RAM?

----------

2GB RAM in iPad Air 2, I can have 5-6 tabs open and 4-5 apps open without any refresh

So true. It's like a folder on iPad holds 9 icons. Just 9 icons. It's like they didn't bother to tweak the iPad version from the iPhone version. I get that's just one little thing but it's a bunch of these little things that make iPad feel under-utilized. Plus, Apple is usually big into detail - so missing a bunch of little tweaks/details is disappointing.

Attachments

• FolderIcon.png
    FolderIcon.png
    466.3 KB · Views: 226

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
That's true but then again why are Mac sales flourishing? That's a product you shouldn't have to constantly replace.

The iPad's software is stagnant & really needs updated. They need to add slightly more functionality in iPad's version of iOS. There's so much untapped potential.

There are way less people that own laptops that have not got macs yet.

People spend a finite amount of computing dollars every year, the odds of someone buying a new mac and an iPad seem pretty low.

I have an iPad Air, I don't see any reason to upgrade it anytime soon. My dad has an iPad 2 and still doesn't feel the need to upgrade.

I would welcome some more software enhancement, but I do appreciate the IOS UI vs OSX UI approach on an iPad.

Just because sales are declining it doesn't mean the iPad is bad, it's just the upgrade cycle is slower. Just like PC upgrade cycle is slow.

My iMac 27" is froom 2009, and heck considering how much time I spend on my iPad I probably won't upgrade it.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015

Because Mac represents a tiny, tiny piece of the computer market, so as people do replace their computers after several years, a very small number switching to Mac will result in Mac sales flourishing. Even if the computer market as a whole stagnates.

If Apple spent 1/10th the effort they do on advertising the iPad on actually updating the iPad software beyond a 2010 cell phone OS, it would give iPad a huge boost.

But they seem to be more focused on rebranding over-hyped headphones and keeping free music off youtube than on actually improving their products these days.

TheSweeney

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015

Well, Mac sales were relatively stagnant (growing compared to the industry but not like we've been seeing) and the PC market shrank quite significantly following the release and success of the iPad and subsequent Android offerings. Now that tablets are starting to see growth slow (or even halt), the traditional PC market and Mac market are experiencing growth again.

Now, why is this the case? Simple: people who would've been in the market for a new laptop between 2011 and 2013 likely picked up an iPad instead. Anecdotally, at least in my family, people bought iPad's for the lighter workloads like browsing and video and kept their laptops and desktops for more demanding tasks. Before I got my 6+, I used my iPad mini daily as my primary computer while me 2011 gaming desktop served me for my more serious, CPU intensive tasks. Now their laptops/desktops are beginning to really show their age, and that iPad Air they picked up in 2013 still works like a charm, so the cycle reverses. Now my PC is starting to show its age and I'm in the market for both upgrades to my gaming PC and a laptop for school (likely going to be a SP4).

I mean, that seems to be the most likely scenario. It certainly isn't market saturation, as Apple has consistently stated over 50% of iPad customers are new to the iPad. So the only really satisfactory explanation is that the iPad has just gotten good enough where people are happy with it, and now they're in the market for notebooks/desktops again.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Exactly. I believe that iPad sales are slowing because people are holding onto them longer. I believe that Mac sales are growing because people are switching from pcs.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

You can't compare those two, at least at the very moment - the iPad came out of the nothing as nobody owned tablets. Once the baseline is reached, it will increase or decrease as the Macs do right now if interesting updates occur.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

I think a computer is a must have for most people these days. A tablet you can live without.

There are millions of PC owners out there, who hear about Mac and make the switch.

When it comes to tablets, given their more limited utility some people go the Kindle route and just use for reading, some people will buy a cheap imitation iPad for their kids.

Ultimately at least from my perspective it is far more important to me to have an excellent computer, than bleeding edge tablets.

----------

Apple is a business. Like any business its objective is to earn a profit for its owners (shareholders).

In business if you don't grow you will eventually be overtaken by your competitors. Think of Nokia and Blackberry in this regard.

I like the idea of the Web site. But I don't think it will move the needle very much in terms of iPad sales. As least not as much as Apple needs in order to show that the business is growing.

Tim Cook made fun of Microsoft's Surface device in one of his Keynotes. He said that Apple's competitors are having trouble figuring out what they are supposed to be.

With smartphones getting larger and laptop PC's getting smaller, I think the time is coming where Apple needs to figure out what the iPad will be.

I love my iPad. But as others have stated, it is really just a larger screen for running iPhone apps.

I guess it seems a bit odd when a company as successful as Apple can sell millions of a device, but because they didn't sell a few millions more they have to wring their hands and worry.

There are only so many people on the planet who need and can afford an iPad, or need or can afford to upgrade it constantly.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
You can't compare those two, at least at the very moment - the iPad came out of the nothing as nobody owned tablets. Once the baseline is reached, it will increase or decrease as the Macs do right now if interesting updates occur.

Yeah I see what you mean.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
So true. It's like a folder on iPad holds 9 icons. Just 9 icons. It's like they didn't bother to tweak the iPad version from the iPhone version. I get that's just one little thing but it's a bunch of these little things that make iPad feel under-utilized. Plus, Apple is usually big into detail - so missing a bunch of little tweaks/details is disappointing.

It's pathetic, a 3x3 folder grid on a 10" screen

Swazaloo

Cancelled
Jan 3, 2014

Agreed. That is one thing I hate about public companies. There is always the requirement to make more and more money ever year. A steady profit is not acceptable. That is why your Facebook feed is 90% auto playing video ads now. Apple sells 499 trillion iPads this year, instead of the 500 trillion it sold last year, and "iPads sales are in decline".

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They should have included the other pages they've been making too. :cool:

I like the iPad as a tool though and not just the thing you sit down and unwind with.

I also like exploding things in Chemist. :D

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Apple is resting on their laurels with iPad. There is nothing different between iPad Air 2 and iPad 2 other than a higher resolution display and a thinner and lighter body. Tim Cook once made fun of Android tablets sitting in drawers and being forgotten, but my iPad also sits in a drawer most of the time now.

If Apple wants iPad to become the future of computing, then they better start innovating. They need to stop making iPad simply a larger iPhone. Give iOS for iPad more features that increase productivity. The more I think about it, the more I think Microsoft's approach is right. Microsoft might not have got the execution right, but their idea is definitely right. The Surface line is getting more and more attractive to me.

Ent

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
Apple Launches New 'Nothing Changes With iPad' Site.

Because folks, it's the same iOS as iPhone with a bigger screen and no new features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.