Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 are set to debut in three weeks at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, we've heard little detail on the content Apple might include in the new operating system updates. Neither operating system is expected to get a major visual overhaul, but there may be one significant design change for both iOS and OS X -- a new system font.

Apple has plans to use the new San Francisco font that was introduced with the Apple Watch to replace the Helvetica Neue font used in iOS 7/iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, according to a report from 9to5Mac. The font will be used for menu items, app names, and more, throughout the operating systems.

sanfranciscomockup.jpg
Ever since switching to particularly thin weights of Helvetica Neue in iOS 7, Apple has been chastised for using a font that emphasizes clean lines over readability, and San Francisco is intended to solve this. According to the sources familiar with the decision to move to the San Francisco type face on iOS and OS X, Apple higher-ups also believe that the new look will serve to refresh its familiar operating systems, helping iOS and OS X to avoid becoming stale. However, some Apple engineers have told us that they are not fans of the new font, which may look particularly rough on non-Retina screens.
A condensed sans-serif that's not unlike Helvetica, San Francisco is the first new font Apple has designed in-house in many years. In the 80s and 90s, Apple used several fonts that were created in-house, but the company largely ceased making its own fonts in the early 1990s. Apple's early fonts were also named after major cities, so San Francisco pays homage to those first fonts.

Chicago, New York, Geneva, Monaco, and Cairo are all fonts that were designed by early Apple graphic artist Susan Kare. Kare even designed her own font called San Francisco in 1984, but that now-obsolete typeface looked quite different than the San Francisco Apple introduced in 2014.

San Francisco was created specifically for small displays like the Apple Watch, with extra spacing between each letter to increase legibility on the wrist. Since its debut, there has been speculation that it could be brought to iPhones and Macs in the future, due to its clean look on larger Retina displays in addition to the small display of the Apple Watch. That idea was further reinforced with the introduction of the Retina MacBook, which uses the San Francisco font for the lettering on the keyboard.

We may get our first official glimpse of San Francisco as a system-wide iOS and OS X font on June 8, when Apple is expected to show off iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 for the first time. Not much else is known about the two operating systems, but Apple may be opting to focus more on internal upgrades, improvements, and bug fixes over external changes to further polish features introduced with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: Apple to Use 'San Francisco' Apple Watch Font in iOS 9 and OS X 10.11

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Please no. That font would look terrible on iOS. If anything, give us a choice!

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I really gotta admit, that this would look fantastic! I mean, from the very beginning Apple announced the Apple Watch, I thought that font looks more 'luxury' in some way. And it's by far easier to read compared to Helvetica.

Yes, I would love to see the San Francisco font being used in iOS 9!

bmd0019

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
No!!!

Shoot me now. I hate that font. :mad: It looks to much like Android. What is happening to my Apple, that I love.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Please no. That font would look terrible on iOS. If anything, give us a choice!

You know they won't, which is why this bothers me. On iOS you're stuck with it, but there's ways to fix it on OS X.

Can't say I'm surprised--the new MacBook uses this on the keyboard.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
For whatever reason, I hate looking at the Apple Watch font in screenshots but I have to admit that it looks very nice on the device itself.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
It definitely helps with readability, especially with the retina HD displays on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus! So excited for 3 weeks from now at this time!!

Siannath

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Lima, Perú
I still prefer Lucida Grande, however I think that San Francisco is nicer than Helvetica Neue. Also, it would give a nice consistency between all Apple platforms.

Now, I would like to test San Francisco on Yosemite…

Reactions: grahamperrin

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Looks good but honestly unless I really look for it, it's hard to tell the difference between the new and old fonts.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
One thing I love on MacRumors is font debates and font rants by font-o-philes. Some of my favourite comments in the last 12 months were on helvetica neuve vs lucida grande. This is going to be an entertaining thread, cant wait.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
After the major update containing the new emojis, a new operating system featuring a new font ? Wow, slow down Apple ! Too much innovation, too fast.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I won't be happy with yet another OS X release. How about letting 10.10 mature a little and get back some of that famous OS X rock-solid stability that we haven't seen for years?

----------

I wish Apple were less patriotic about their home state.

I agree, it's really corny.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Can we start a poll?

Clearly there are only two serious font options for Apple to use - Haettenschweiler or Comic Sans (yes, both in Microsoft Office products). If Apple decides to go with something else, I'm through with iOS for good.

/s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.