Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's efforts to provide customers with live programming from local broadcasting stations in the United States could delay the company's plans to launch a streaming TV service in early fall, according to Re/code. The report, citing industry executives, also claims that Apple has not reached any content deals with TV programmers yet, making it unlikely that the web-based TV service is announced at WWDC next month.

appletv-800x550.jpg
"Apple's ambitions have complicated its negotiations with the broadcast TV networks, because most broadcasters don't own all their local stations, and have an affiliate, or franchise system. Clearing the rights to show local programs and commercials takes some time -- ABC, for instance, spent two years getting the rights to show live programming via its Watch ABC app, and its live streams remain limited to viewers in eight cities."
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Apple plans to unveil its streaming TV service at WWDC, anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and FX. The web-based TV service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and other devices is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for between $30 to $40 per month. The report claimed that the service will be available in September.

Article Link: Apple's Desire to Include Local Stations in Streaming TV Service Could Delay Launch Beyond WWDC

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Apple's Desire to Include Local Stations in Streaming TV Service Could Delay ...

I don't care if they delay it to October or next year, the closer we get to an ala carte-like service, the better. I am SICK and TIRED of staring at the Verizon FiOS GUI.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
OMG just release it already. Add local stations and other features later. Just get something out there!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Build in an over-the-air tuner (or two) and they can bypass such negotiations. Cheap part to include unlocks all local channels.

There's also clearQAM flowing on the same pipe that will be required for an Apple TV service replacement. Again, add a cheap part and unlock local channels that way too (where applicable).

Or, normalize the USB port and leave the local channel acquisition to those who want it buying Elgato-like products.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I wish Apple would just kill off the Apple tv already. Roku does everything already and does it one million times better.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't see why they couldn't launch it without local content and then add it later. Personally I don't watch any local stations unless we're talking about sports, but even then I'd like to just be able to stream those in a separate package. Apple just needs to get this thing out the door. It has been far too long!

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Build in an over-the-air tuner (or two) and they can bypass such negotiations. Cheap part to include unlocks all local channels.

From what I've read, its really not that simple. It's taken Microsoft 2 years to get a simple converter for OTA for the Xbox one and I believe it had something to due with network and broadcast restrictions.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Paying for it already

If I cut cable + HBO from internet with Comcast I'll pay more money than I am now but only for internet.

I hope there is a way to authenticate channels if you're already paying for them through cable like HBO does with their app.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
another eddie "all strategy - all the time *" cue idea

*that hasn't worked for the last 5 years

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If all Apple is planning to do is offer a skinnied down cable package is it really worth it? That skinny package will eventually become bloated; just look at the current TV and the new "channels" that keep being added to it.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

There's also clearQAM flowing on the same pipe that will be required for an Apple TV service replacement. Again, add a cheap part and unlock local channels that way too (where applicable).

Or, normalize the USB port and leave the local channel acquisition to those who want it buying Elgato-like products.

While I agree that could solve some of these issues. It's not apples style. Too many inconsistencies in signal availability. Apple wants to control all of the content you consume so they can ensure the best possible experience in picture quality and buffering. I can only imagine how many people would flip their **** when their new Apple TV can't show their local channels without digital static.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't care if they delay it to October or next year, the closer we get to an ala carte-like service, the better. I am SICK and TIRED of staring at the Verizon FiOS GUI.

This doesn't appear to be ala carte but just a skinny cable package.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
From what I've read, its really not that simple. It's taken Microsoft 2 years to get a simple converter for OTA for the Xbox one and I believe it had something to due with network and broadcast restrictions.

There is a LOT of cheap technology that includes OTA tuners. There are rules associated with the whole proposition of OTA that revolve around being sure that such signals are readily accessible by the public. The rules exist to avoid restrictions or hinderances for Joe Consumer, so that he can access OTA signals without much hassle.

While I can't say for certain that there would be no special hoops through which Apple would need to leap, knowing what I know about such matters, I doubt building in a standard OTA tuner requires a special deal... and I strongly doubt that such a deal would need to be made with all of the players in a network.

The goal of OTA is to deliver the signals for as close to free as possible. The laws revolve around NOT trying to facilitate middlemen being able to throw up obstacles between broadcaster and consumer. And the business driver of OTA- advertising- is improved by easily adding more eyeballs rather than making it harder for eyeballs to be able to get signals (and thus be exposed to advertising).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.