Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a recent report suggesting that iOS 9 could feature "Rootless" security, "Trusted Wi-Fi" and support for legacy A5-based devices, today 9to5Mac followed up on a few smaller-scale improvements to Apple's next major software version that could have a big impact on the overall experience for iPhone and iPad users.

The next-generation iPhone will feature some form of Force Touch as one of the biggest new additions to the hardware, a rumor that has been circulating since the beginning of the year and only gaining forward momentum. The report today, however, specifically mentions that Apple has designed iOS 9 "to be Force Touch-ready" and is already hard at work with developers to integrate the technology into various apps.

iphone6_6plus_laying_down.png
Since Apple's work on Force Touch runs the gamut of iOS devices, there's also a possibility of updated Force Touch displays on new iPad models sometime this year. All iOS versions of Force Touch are also expected to provide the real-time haptic feedback buzz similar to that of the Apple Watch to provide users a physical response when their deep presses have been noticed. As 9to5Mac points out, however, since any new Force Touch on iOS announcement automatically requires the confirmation of new hardware, any iPhone and iPad support for the feature is unlikely to happen at WWDC.

Next, Apple is rumored to be working on a new keyboard experience for iOS 9, with the company experimenting on multiple designs, like one that is "slightly longer than the current keyboard" and provides users with a more robust suite of editing options while in portrait mode. Also in the works is a more accessible way to access the QuickType keyboard and a redesign to the unpopular Shift Key to provide an easier visual understanding of when shift or caps lock is engaged.

Today's report also falls in line with previous rumors reporting that Canada will be the first country outside of the United States to support Apple Pay, with the report claiming that iOS 9's Passbook app includes a "necessary foundation" to support various banks, credit and debit cards, and credit unions within the country. Although Canada is well-prepared for such a service, with many retailers and businesses across the country equipped with the contactless payment terminals needed for Apple Pay, such an expansion outside of the United States has proved difficult for Apple, especially in places like China, so a WWDC announcement yet again seems unlikely.

The final minor update to iOS 9 reported today includes the addition of read receipts to both group chats in iMessage as well as on a per-contact basis. Users will be able to turn on the read receipt functionality for specific recipients while leaving the read status of a message in the dark for other contacts. The company also seems to be considering removing the little-used Game Center app altogether in iOS 9, and minor data points suggest a few additions and updates to the new Health app, as well.

Article Link: iOS 9 to Feature Force Touch With Haptic Feedback, New Keyboard and Group Read Receipts

ianKent

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
That's awesome.
Now can someone write an article about the possible 12MP RGBW camera improvement? And please show pics for comparison rgb vs rgbw ;)

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
I wouldn't gamble on them to remove the Game Center app, though I wish they would.

Last edited:

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Title is hugely flawed (typical mr incompetence). The hardware implements force touch, this title implies this feature would be suddenly available to previous gen devices, through a mere update.

SORT YOUR JOURNALISM OUT!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Where are the crazy predictions everyone buys into? Still waiting on the projector screen, virtual keyboard, 3D display and more that MacRumors promised us since the iPhone 4.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I'm very interested in Force Touch on the iPhone. It could really change how app UI's function. But adds another layer of work since it will be a while till most devices have the feature.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Title is hugely flawed (typical mr incompetence). The hardware implements force touch, this title implies this feature would be suddenly available to previous gen devices, through a mere update.

Remember that vibrate motor in basically every iPhone ever?

There's your haptic feedback.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
How about voice-less Siri? Many times in a meeting/waiting in line at Starbucks/etc. I want to ask Siri something but I feel stupid doing it out loud. Sure I could open Safari or an app and type it in, but that loses the point of having everything (like sports schedules) in one spot.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015

No it isn't. It's a motor with an asymmetrical weight attached to the shaft. That IS NOT haptics. Apple would NEVER retro-implement such a crude, clunky and half-hearted effort; haptics would require the 6S or newer. PERIOD.

----------

How about voice-less Siri? Many times in a meeting/waiting in line at Starbucks/etc. I want to ask Siri something but I feel stupid doing it out loud. Sure I could open Safari or an app and type it in, but that loses the point of having everything (like sports schedules) in one spot.

There's a special site for that - it's called "Google.com".

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
No it isn't. It's a motor with an asymmetrical weight attached to the shaft. That IS NOT haptics. Apple would NEVER retro-implement such a crude, clunky and half-hearted effort; haptics would require the 6S or newer. PERIOD.

I remember a few Android devices vibrating the phone when you type on the keyboard. Sure, asymmetrical weights does not equal electromagnetism like in the Watch or the MacBooks, but it's the only thing possible on older hardware.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
*searching for Apple Pay UK, iTunes Radio UK, and full Siri functionally in the UK *
-
-
-
-
-
-
No results found.

Last edited:

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013

----------

There's a special site for that - it's called "Google.com".

OKAY, mister UPPER case, I think YOU made your POINT quite WELL, it REAAALLY annoys you, because MacRumors SUCKS and you know SO MUCH BETTER but have absolutely NO logical deduction SKILL.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake

+1

Maybe "iOS 9 to bring software for next gen iPhones with haptic engines" or "iPhone 6s with iOS 9 will enable new haptic feedback"

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wish to get support for non-english keyboards, as this is still unheard of for some idiotic reason. Want to type ö, ű, é, or other accented letters, or ç in French, etc? Well, it's not possible, sorry, no one cares about non-english speakers. How about 3rd party keyboards? They don't care either.

Yes, extra keys won't fit on the iPhone 4 or 5. But the new extra huge iPhones can fit extra keys without issues, not to mention all sizes of the iPad.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm very interested in Force Touch on the iPhone. It could really change how app UI's function. But adds another layer of work since it will be a while till most devices have the feature.

Correct, by that time the apps catch up, we will have the spanking new iPhone 7 :p

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake

Unfortunatly there is no 'force touch' in current and past devices-which was stated in the article. Force touch and haptic feedback go hand in hand, and complement each other-

Yeah the current devices can vibrate but have no way of sending or processing any form of 'force touch' making it impossible to accomplish what the article discusses.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
+1 for an updated keyboard design. It works but is sorely lacking on the iPhone Plus side.

The Galaxy Note keyboard want much better overall, except for being adapted to a larger screen and in portrait mode gave users a practically full sized keyboard with number line.

At least give us more punctuation in portrait mode instead of the B/U cut and copy and others.

I also hope that Apple does a better job with the double tap on the plus. Bringing the top closer to the bottom doesn't address reaching across a huge screen. You need to shrink the UI elements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.