Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2015-Cadillac-CTS-250x118.jpg
GM today announced that its luxury car brand Cadillac will add CarPlay and Android Auto support to its 2016 model year vehicles, which will begin rolling out this summer.

CarPlay will be available in all 2016 vehicles equipped with a CUE 8-inch multi-touch screen, excluding the SRX Crossover, while Android Auto will be phased in at a later date.
"Cadillac CUE provides owners a smart and simple way to access both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. A "Projection" icon will appear on the CUE screen, to enable simpler, easier access to key smartphone functions, including navigation, contacts, hands-free text messaging and select applications supported by Apple or Google."
CarPlay-equipped vehicles have a built-in touchscreen display that provides quick and easy access to Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Podcasts and third-party apps such as Spotify, Rdio, iHeartRadio, CBS Radio and MLB At Bat. CarPlay also uses Siri voice control and interfaces with your vehicle's knobs, dials and buttons for hands-free or eyes-free control of your iPhone.

Apple also introduced a handful of CarPlay improvements during its WWDC keynote this week, including support for apps developed by carmakers to control the in-car experience and compatibility with larger and wider screens. CarPlay will also function wirelessly in future vehicles, eliminating the need to take your iPhone out of your pocket or bag after getting in your vehicle.

GM is also adding CarPlay support to 14 new 2016 Chevrolet models later this year.

Article Link: Cadillac Announces CarPlay and Android Auto Support Coming to 2016 Models

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Why hasn't Apple developed a standardized CPU that can hook up to the things that are common in most cars (Fan, A/C, Temperature, Heated seats, etc.) sell it really cheap, and then just let manufacturers hook up their own screen, high quality or junk if they want to save money on lower end models, and get scale that way? It seems like there's a lot of trouble scaling this at an affordable price...

Tassiecelt

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
It's bad enough having the suggestion that I need to upgrade my seven month old iPad mini to use all the new features of ios9, now I have to buy a new car to use CarPlay??
I'm sick of the way Apple is focussed so much on getting people to spend money. Steve would turn in his grave if he knew what Cook is doing with the company. Tim Cook and his mob can repeat "I'm SO excited" as much as they want, but I am getting much less excited about the direction Apple are going.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why hasn't Apple developed a standardized CPU that can hook up to the things that are common in most cars (Fan, A/C, Temperature, Heated seats, etc.) sell it really cheap, and then just let manufacturers hook up their own screen, high quality or junk if they want to save money on lower end models, and get scale that way? It seems like there's a lot of trouble scaling this at an affordable price...

You answered it in the third word ... it's Apple. If they can't make ridiculous profit off it they wouldn't want to do it. Plus the car makers only implementing it in new vehicles would, in their eyes, encourage purchases of new rather than used cars.

Apple is not synonymous with aftermarket or affordable.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
It's bad enough having the suggestion that I need to upgrade my seven month old iPad mini to use all the new features of ios9, now I have to buy a new car to use CarPlay??
I'm sick of the way Apple is focussed so much on getting people to spend money. Steve would turn in his grave if he knew what Cook is doing with the company. Tim Cook and his mob can repeat "I'm SO excited" as much as they want, but I am getting much less excited about the direction Apple are going.
How would Steve Jobs have made CarPlay backwards compatible with older infotainment systems?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Cadillac is unbelievably overrated. Their design is pretty bad save for a model or two. Their lure is more ghetto than anything.

Reactions: magbarn

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Cadillac is unbelievably overrated. Their design is pretty bad save for a model or two. Their lure is more ghetto than anything.

Heh, it's a similar sort of case with most American cars. They're not really purchased outside of the US, save for a few iconic muscle cars I guess.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
You don't have to buy a new car to use CarPlay.

I followed the link, put in my vehicle, and it returned 4 units. All of them under the "carplay" search for my car. They were all 4 Sirius XM "Home" units to get Sirius on your desk. Nothing to do with a car or carpal.

Heh, it's a similar sort of case with most American cars. They're not really purchased outside of the US, save for a few iconic muscle cars I guess.

You'd be surprised but Ford has a huge international presence. However, mainly 2 or 3 models that are not even offered in the US.

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Almost every word in your post is wrong.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Same with german cars, (as much as I love them). After a while you reach that point where you can no longer defend their price - just like some Apple goods.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
I hate how GM cripples each car's infotainment system in an attempt to get you to upgrade to a new car for Carplay. I get it, but I don't like it. That infotainment system is just a small box under the dash. I'd love to be able to pull that box out and drop in an upgraded Carplay compatible version...instead of replacing the entire car.

Reactions: CooKieMoNs7eR

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Same with german cars, (as much as I love them). After a while you reach that point where you can no longer defend their price - just like some Apple goods.

If you really want to car shame, let's rip on Jaguar and Land Rover. The quality of those have been very lacking to justify the price. The current Land Rover dash and stack looks like a video arcade as you drive along.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Can see it now, Xzibit at next year's WWDC with a custom pimp'ed out Caddie with CarPlay.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Both phone integration systems require the phone to be connected via USB. Apple CarPlay requires iOS 7.1 or higher or an iPhone 5 or later or higher, Android Auto requires Android Lollipop operating system.

I was wondering if it was going to be the wireless version just announced or the wired one from a year ago. Appears to be the latter. So 2017 models likely before you see wireless then, awesome.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
You answered it in the third word ... it's Apple. If they can't make ridiculous profit off it they wouldn't want to do it. Plus the car makers only implementing it in new vehicles would, in their eyes, encourage purchases of new rather than used cars.

Apple is not synonymous with aftermarket or affordable.

Doesn't have to be aftermarket, but doing this would benefit both the manufacturer and Apple because the manufacturer would have a new selling point that consumers care about, and Apple would have another component that they could integrate into their ecosystem.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.