19 days into Republican dominated Presidency, is ObamaCare repealed yet?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 8, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

19 days in Trump Presidency, is ObamaCare repealed yet?
    title change: 19 days into Republican dominated Presidency, is ObamaCare repealed yet?

After 6 plus years of spending millions of dollars and hours of effort with speeches, ads, campaigns (Romney lost), not to mention 60+ purely symbolic time wasting congressional votes for repeal, I was going to bet my house the first bill Trump would sign would be a repeal of ObamaCare.

Hell, they had over 2 months since election to pick one of the 60 failed bills, pass it, and have it on Trumps desk the first hour ready to sign.

NOT.

Instead Trump had to author a relatively weak EO.

SIX YEARS to come up with something, even a repeal.
    Simply confirms how utterly useless untrustworthy Republican Congressional members are.

EDIT: Added this link to related article.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Bastard didn't solve world hunger either!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean water? NOOOOO, Matt Damon still has to partner with Stella Artois because Trump is ****ing slacking!!!!!!!!!!

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Umm..., its about Congress, not Trump

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Damn The Donald better do some work, only 1,364 more days until next presidential election.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Its about Congress, not Trump

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Everything is Trumps fault, get on board, we're making jackets.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Thank God the democrats aren't in control then.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You live in Iwate? Have in-laws who live there.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm pretty sure they are making sure the best way to go about ensuring no one falls through the cracks in the transition. Maybe if a Republican Senator dies and a democrat swoops in and snatches that seat from the jaws of victory will they get their ass kicked into gear. Then we can have Nancy come back out and tell us all we'll find out whats in it once it's passed.

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not anymore, I did work there for a while.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Again, 6 years of efforts to repeal, 60 bills that passed both House and Senate, and nothing.

They might was well give up and work on more important matters, like repealing Dodd-Frank.

Interesting. Hope you had a great time there.

12. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

they are just gonna end up renaming "Obamacare"

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

So-called Trump-care

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Hey now - they are still looking for the light switch in some rooms ;)

15. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Wife is from Fukuoka so I am browsing around for jobs there now. Maybe Near Nagasaki this time.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since everything other than the name is popular my prediction is they will make minor changes call it a win and move on and the ACA will become something that is untouchable like Social Security.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes something would happen then. but the do nothing congress is in control.

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

You can't just repeal something without any viable alternative. Not only will a bunch of people be uninsured but you'll have the same issue of rising hospital costs due to non-payments.

I think he's thinking on this. Which is wise in my opinion.

Edit: Only thing that gets my goat is the penalty for having no insurance. It's not going to the insurance companies or for Medicaid expansion. So it's like charging a homeless man rent for his side of the sidewalk but leaving him nothing to show for it. Just my opinion anyways.

19. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Too bad people didn't / don't realize that ObamaCare is actually a patchwork policy because of the congress, not obama

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It is needed to encourage healthy people to actually sign up, but I agree it would be better to have it go to the insurance companies or into medicaid and in return provide a basic level of insurance for everyone, I'm thinking cover ER visits (with a fairly high deductible) and one primary care checkup a year to give people an alternative to using the ER as primary care.

21. SusanK macrumors 68000

Fines for violating traffic laws don't go to car makers either. Such a shame.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The one difference is people refusing to sign up for health insurance has an effect on the price of insurance for those who do sign up, but there is no such difference seen in auto insurance.

23. Septembersrain, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

But why are cars compared with health insurance? Shouldn't healthcare be a basic human right compared with a car being a privilege? You can live without a car but not without taking care of yourself.

"The Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare on June 28, 2012. The final ruling on ObamaCare was a made by Supreme Court Judge Vinson. The basic idea of the ruling was that ObamaCare was declared a tax and not a mandate, and was therefore declared constitutional."

So unlike the law of traffic tickets, this was a sneaky way to use a "Tax" in place of a law. So apples to oranges really.

Edit: If you do your taxes right and get no refund, the IRS cannot enforce the penalty either. You'd just need to repeat the same process in the following year (and continually unless repealed).

https://www.healthinsurance.org/faq...for-not-having-health-insurance-is-this-true/

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

--- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2017 ---

We should be calling it Republi-care. Im not convinced that Trump will make it all 4 years. If that happens, the GOP will put the blame off on Trump, not that a good deal of it shouldn't be but by calling it Republi-care, it will be a constant reminder to all, specially those on the Right, just how screwed up their side made things worse.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They had the house, the senate, and the WH. Don't know why a party can't maximize their legislative prowess having all 3 in the bank.