19 Dem attorneys general sue DeVos over rescinded student loan protections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jul 6, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I would hope that other AG's, from both parties, would join in this suit. It was actually a pretty good law that protected consumers from predatory lending and fraud on the part of these crappy for profit schools. Here's hoping they succeed in their suit and put DeVos in her place. She's ill equipped for the position she's in.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-file-lawsuit-against-devos-over-student-loan

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

trade Devos for Michelle Obama any day of the week. while she had a stupid failure of a program she at least cared about students and education. anyways hope the lawsuit is indeed bipartisan.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

How this wasn't a bigger deal I will never know. Especially since it seemed she did have some degree of conflict of interest in her having an interest in a debt collection agency that does business with the Dept of Education.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

DeVos is the reason I am no longer a registered Republican.
    Her confirmation was the final straw for me. That bitch stands for everything that is WRONG with today's education system.
    Now I don't agree with the liberal philosophies that have found their way into public education, her ideas are just plain destructive.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Obama seems to have been very busy just as his administration ended.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

http://all4ed.org/take-action/actio...se-for-reducing-the-high-school-dropout-rate/

Based on March 2014 data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, high school dropouts are nearly three times more likely to be unemployed than college graduates. Even when employed, high school dropouts earn about $8,000 a year less than high school graduates and approximately $26,500 a year less than college graduates, based on calculations by the Alliance for Excellent Education.

Looking into the future, the job prospects aren’t getting any brighter for individuals with lower levels of education. According to research by the Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce, 65 percent of all jobs in 2020 will require some form of education after high school.

Most people understand the heavy yoke that high school students place around their own necks when they drop out of school, but few understand that the drag goes far beyond the impact on the individuals. As research by the Alliance for Excellent Education has found, high school dropouts also influence a community’s economic, social, and civic health.

While data on the education attainment of inmates is sparse, a 2004 survey of inmates in state and federal correctional facilities by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics finds that 67 percent of inmates in America’s state prisons, 56 percent of federal inmates, and 69 percent of inmates in local jails are high school dropouts.