Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
I was told by a reliable source, that there will be a 19" LCD on the iMAC in the near future.

Thoughts?

MisterX

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
i doubt it...putting in a 19" lcd would cannabilize the market for a low-end PowerMac G4 and the $1000 17" studio display...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
where the love
it wouldn't look so good
and if you really needed the big screen
your probably a pro user not an "i" user

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
who needs a 19" lcd in the consumer side of the market?

unless lcds fall in price, the 19" lcd is more suited for pro users

the current imac is ok for smaller pro end stuff already

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
most consumers end up with a 15" screen.....maybe a 17"....

but most haven't had LCD screens before.....so they are now getting even more room than previously with the same measurements....

I agree, a 19" would be a bit too expensive.....plus it wouldn't make much sense to add that into a "consumer" line system.....maybe if at some point they offered a bit more beefed up iMac to cater to professionals....?

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Re: 19" minitor on the new iMac

Originally posted by MisterX
I was told by a reliable source, that there will be a 19" LCD on the iMAC in the near future.

NO CHANCE!!!!!!
We just got a new iMac! Stop this nonsense! :( Your «reliable» source must be smoking something dangerous...

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I agree with Ensign Paris, it is most likely a 17" LCD wich is closer to a 19" CRT than a 17" CRT.

I do suspect this will eventually be coming. If it is, they may be playing with it at apple as we speak. But it will come down to price point before they release it. I am shure that a 17" LCD is possible right now. But who will pay for that???

Once marketing can get a price from design and manufacturing that is low enough for consumers....then we will see it on the shelves.

Maybe it will come as a BTO.

babar

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2002
PARIS
No way (unfortunatly)

19" far too expensive for average buyer (even Mac buyer)

Imac deliveries are going to be damned slow. ligth upgrade in NY (Bus, cache, speed)

So let's get along with it and enjoys it !:p

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
not an iMac... But something else!

19"? Where do you get your info from...

WAIT!! Remember when there were all those rumors about bigger CRT iMac's in the works? Instead, we saw CRT monitors shaped like the iMac. Hmmmm....

Is apple making swivel mounted LCD displays???? Now that's a credible rumor...
:D

MacLuver23

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2001
Re: Re: 19" minitor on the new iMac

«The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck, is probably the day they start making vacum cleaners...»

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I love that!!!!

merman637

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2002
Oklahoma City, Ok
liar

:rolleyes:
what was this guy thinking
the whole concept behind the iMac was a consumer
machine that was cheap and dependable but faster and more capable for email and daily routine stuff
style was just an apple plus adding the charge for a 19" or even a 17" monitor would hike the price to even more above the already questionable price hike and would not be very profitable....except for those of us who actually know a little something about mac and can use an imac for more advanced programs....for instance i have an imac that has 1GB memory and a 15GB hard drive but is only 400 DV G3, however the rendering capabilities in final cut are similar to my friend's G4 400. Just a little slower (already takes a long time on G4) AND i spent about $1500 less on my iMac...we'll see.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
just not

just not going to happen for a long time. Too expensive and the new iMacs are well... NEW. Just too soon. LCD's cost too much and are a relitively new technology for consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.