Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Good morning everybody (06:30 AM here)

For those who have been able to install smtube, how is it performing on your machine ?

I only have it running on a 12" PB G4 1.5Ghz with an SSD, any other machines ?

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
Good morning everybody (06:30 AM here)

For those who have been able to install smtube, how is it performing on your machine ?

I only have it running on a 12" PB G4 1.5Ghz with an SSD, any other machines ?
On my DC 2.3 Ghz Powermac g5, no issue with speed or stability and no strange process in background

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've just done a fresh install of Leopard on my 1.67Ghz Powerbook and installed xcode and macports - smtube opens and passes the file to Coreplayer but nothing loads, Quicktime reports "The movie could not be opened" and mplayer immediately closes.
I've tried changing the prefered video formats but nothing works.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I've just done a fresh install of Leopard on my 1.67Ghz Powerbook and installed xcode and macports - smtube opens and passes the file to Coreplayer but nothing loads, Quicktime reports "The movie could not be opened" and mplayer immediately closes.
I've tried changing the prefered video formats but nothing works.

Open smtube , Preferences, Players , Edit, make sure that "This player supports video sites" is UNCHECKED

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Have we smoothed out the install process yet? I tried to read thru the post history, but man, I thought I was a Mac nerd, but I just don't understand most of it. That and I don't have my iBook with me here at work to follow step by step. If I did, I may pick up on it better as I follow along with the instructions.

Looking forward to YouTube on my old Macs again!

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Have we smoothed out the install process yet? I tried to read thru the post history, but man, I thought I was a Mac nerd, but I just don't understand most of it. That and I don't have my iBook with me here at work to follow step by step. If I did, I may pick up on it better as I follow along with the instructions.

Looking forward to YouTube on my old Macs again!

Unfortunately not, I've spent yesterday evening after work and today during my train commutes to get a working
install without Macports but no luck.
The compilation and functioning of smtube only seems to work with the qt4-mac which you need to install via Macports and since Macports needs Xcode, Xcode needs to be installed first also so in short :

Xcode => Macports => qt4mac port => compile smtube

Maybe somebody can pick this up to figure out what smtube needs to compile or what Macports installs with the qt4-mac port and strip it out of an install , and put it in an Installer which does puts all the pieces in their place.

So for now , the 1st post is only working way of installing smtube.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I've got no problem installing 4 separate things, as long as I don't have to do anything with the "compiling" as I have no real idea what that really means. I can probably say the same thing goes for MOST ppc users here. Not all or course.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I've got no problem installing 4 separate things, as long as I don't have to do anything with the "compiling" as I have no real idea what that really means. I can probably say the same thing goes for MOST ppc users here. Not all or course.

Compiling is converting sourcecode in a certain programming language to a executable binary or in this case App.

In the first post , it's the last step where in the folder smtube-16.7.2 you type make, about 5 minutes later compilation completed and in the src directory I found smtube.app which I copied to /Applications.

It's an automated process so besides having to edit the config file Makefile and type make , all the rest is done automatically as long as Xcode, Macports, qt4-mac have been installed before this step.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

It sounds daunting and I was reluctant to try it but it's pretty straight forward - the only obstacle I had was editing the Makefile to point to qmake and lrelease - mine was slightly different to the listing here.
However, after all that mine doesn't work.....yet!

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Yes, i had that covered already. SMtube is serving up a URL that none of the players can load, I tried VLC too, same story.

Can you post a screenshot of the URL or post it so I can compare with my system ?
[doublepost=1485884601][/doublepost]
It sounds daunting and I was reluctant to try it but it's pretty straight forward - the only obstacle I had was editing the Makefile to point to qmake and lrelease - mine was slightly different to the listing here.
However, after all that mine doesn't work.....yet!

What was different regarding the locations of qmake and lrelease in the Makefile ?

I'm going to erase,recover a clean install and do the procedure myself once again to be sure the instructions are correct.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can you post a screenshot of the URL or post it so I can compare with my system ?
[doublepost=1485884601][/doublepost]

What was different regarding the locations of qmake and lrelease in the Makefile ?

Might have been a typo but insead of:

QMAKE=/opt/local/bin/libexec/qt4/bin/qmake

mine is:

QMAKE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/qmake

Here's a URL as shown from VLC:

Picture 1.png

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole

mine is:

Here's a URL as shown from VLC:

View attachment 686410

Now restoring from a clone, will check the path, you might be right on the typo :confused:

And with Coreplayer ? What preferred quality setting do you have with Coreplayer ?

I skipped VLC/mplayer almost instantly since playback was out-of-sync even mplayer with the PPCLuddite recommended commandline options.

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've just remembered, when I first opened SMtube a dialogue opened asking me to update it's code as Youtube had changed - something I remember SMtube doing regularly when I used it on Linux - that may be the only difference between our versions.
Did you get that pop up too?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I've just remembered, when I first opened SMtube a dialogue opened asking me to update it's code as Youtube had changed - something I remember SMtube doing regularly when I used it on Linux - that may be the only difference between our versions.
Did you get that pop up too?

Well I only used my installed smtube version Sunday evening but didn't get the popup, as of Monday I have been reinstalling , still installing qt4-mac currently ...
[doublepost=1485891295][/doublepost]

mine is:

You were right, I made a typo and doubled the bin directory, I corrected my 1st post , thanks for pointing this out !
Now compiling smtube ...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Well I only used my installed smtube version Sunday evening but didn't get the popup, as of Monday I have been reinstalling , still installing qt4-mac currently ...

I think I've found the problem...it only seems to work for recent videos. The majority (but not all) of videos from the last few months work fine but anything from six months+ ago doesn't work.
I don't know why that'd so but that's the observation.

EDIT: Errrr....actually it's more random than that, date doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, just some vids are compatible, others aren't.
No kidding, every video I want to watch won't play - any random garbarge I click on does :/

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I think I've found the problem...it only seems to work for recent videos. The majority (but not all) of videos from the last few months work fine but anything from six months+ ago doesn't work.
I don't know why that'd so but that's the observation.

EDIT: Errrr....actually it's more random than that, date doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, just some vids are compatible, others aren't.
No kidding, every video I want to watch won't play - any random garbarge I click on does :/

Can you give me some examples/titles/search criteria of those that don't work ?

I did a search on "unetlab" and am watching a video of 1 year ago.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I am wondering if I am expecting too much here. When this is all setup, what type of interface are we left with? Something similar to MacTubes? I liked that app because you could search, view results, and launch the video right from the app. PPCMediaCenter is nice and all, but no where near as nice as MacTubes was.

Will this new method be closer to MacTubes or PPCMediaCenter?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Or not , 7 years ago , ItsMyNaturalColour , Coreplayer keeps spinning but no playback

[doublepost=1485892907][/doublepost]
I am wondering if I am expecting too much here. When this is all setup, what type of interface are we left with? Something similar to MacTubes? I liked that app because you could search, view results, and launch the video right from the app. PPCMediaCenter is nice and all, but no where near as nice as MacTubes was.

It's almost the same as MacTubes, but as you can tell I'm still testing with it .
As Dronecatcher pointed out, not all Youtube videos play apparently.

I never used Smtube on a Windows or Linux system so I can't compare it to this build on OS X.

Mactubes/Youview ( OS X PPC ) simply didn't work at all anymore due to the changing Youtube/Google API's .

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I can confirm the videos that don't play in the OSX version will not play in the Linux version either, Linux version had a pop up warning that changes had been made at Youtube which wouldn't allow the video to play. I guess this means this problem will remain until SMtube is modified by the authors and source code released so we can compile it again.
[doublepost=1485895250][/doublepost]

It's nearer Mactubes/Youview - you search from the app, see the thumbnails, click on the vid and it opens in your player of choice:

Mitch_Murder.jpg

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
It seems different video players are able to play some of the videos that the other players don't.

Anyway to make the app recognize this and auto try other players in a preferred order? (ie have it try to play on Core first, then QT, then VLC)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.