Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dr. Dre announced over the weekend on his own Beats 1 radio show "The Pharmacy," the exclusive debut of "Compton: A Soundtrack" on Apple Music (via Pitchfork). The album is set to be released this Friday, August 7, and will be available exclusively to iTunes and Apple Music customers.

compton.jpg

The Apple exclusivity announcement was made by Dr. Dre, alongside fellow musician and former bandmate Ice Cube, and director of Straight Outta Compton, F. Gary Gray. Although officially a soundtrack for the film -- which chronicles the real-life story of Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, and a few others, around the formation of legendary hip hop/rap group N.W.A. -- "Compton: A Soundtrack" is also Dr. Dre's first album in over 15 years. The album will have 16 tracks in total:

01 Intro
02 Talk About It [ft. King Mez & Justus]
03 Genocide [ft. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay]
04 It's All on Me [ft. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid]
05 All in a Day's Work [ft. Anderson Paak & Marsha Ambrosius]
06 Darkside/Gone [ft. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar]
07 Loose Cannons [ft. Xzibit & COLD 187um]
08 Issues [ft. Ice Cube & Anderson Paak]
09 Deep Water [ft. Kendrick Lamar & Justus]
10 One Shot One Kill [ft. Snoop Dogg]
11 Just Another Day [ft. Asia Bryant]
12 For the Love of Money [ft. Jill Scott & Jon Connor]
13 Satisfaction [ft. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez]
14 Animals [ft. Anderson Paak]
15 Medicine Mane [ft. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson Paak]
16 Talking to My Diary

While Dr. Dre's initial presence following Apple's acquisition of Beats in the spring of 2014 was low-key, this summer's launch of Apple Music has seen increased visibility for the rap pioneer. Thanks to the streaming service, the musician has his own weekly show on Beats 1 and even began to release some of his original music exclusively on Apple's new music platform.

Article Link: Dr. Dre Announces 'Compton: A Soundtrack' Exclusively for Apple Music

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Apple Music is becoming a magnet for trash.

Good to know.

I don't see this trend of exclusives ending well. Now Apple are doing it, Spotify and others will feel obliged to, which means that you will need to pay $600 per year for your music instead of $120. Or $3 per year if you buy the three good songs a year on iTunes.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It's ridiculous how many albums of this genre feature other artists in the songs, it's practically every single track. Back in my day, there weren't that many! *prods with walking stick*. Oh, and all this were fields. Fields as far as the eye could see ...

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
It's ridiculous how many albums of this genre feature other artists in the songs, it's practically every single track. Back in my day, there weren't that many! *prods with walking stick*. Oh, and all this were fields. Fields as far as the eye could see ...

One of the first things I noticed too when I was looking over the tracklist. It's not just rap though, it's the same with almost all of pop music in general now.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Looks like this article got relegated to the sidebar. I'm not surprised. Apple is totally out of touch if they think this is going to help their subscriptions in any meaningful way.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No Japanese songs support, out.
No Japanese artist support, out.
Poor Japanese language song title support, out.
No advanced match algorithm, out.
Lock me in one region for a couple of months, out.
....on and on and on.

So, Apple music is out.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Apple Music is becoming a magnet for trash.

Good to know.

I don't see this trend of exclusives ending well. Now Apple are doing it, Spotify and others will feel obliged to, which means that you will need to pay $600 per year for your music instead of $120. Or $3 per year if you buy the three good songs a year on iTunes.
Why would you waste actual money on Spotify? Just set your money on fire, you'd get better results

Reactions: kds1 and Jstuts5797

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Dre's primarily a producer now. Like the Quincy Jones albums of yesteryear, where it featured other top artists performing his productions.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
For those of you confused why this is such a big deal (or for those of you who are unfamiliar with rap / hip hop), let me break it down:

1. Dr. Dre hasn't released an album in over 15 years. His 3rd and final album was supposed to be called Detox and over time it became somewhat of a white whale, not only in hiphop but in the entire music industry. Around 2009 there were rumors that Dr. Dre had recorded around 400 songs for Detox but the album never showed up. Long story short, we all kind of assumed that Dr. Dre would never release anything else other than headphones. This is a big part of why this unreleased album that we can't even hear snippets of, is already the top selling album (of all genres) on iTunes.

2. Dr. Dre is one of the best producers in music. Songs that Dre made back in the 90s still sound great today. I can pretty much guarantee that this album will have top notch production on every track.

3. Dr. Dre introduced some of the biggest rappers of this generation including: Eminem, 50 Cent and Kendrick Lamar.

4. The hiphop genre has been overloaded with clowns like Fetty Wap, Young Thug (the names alone should tell you something) and a bunch of other talentless idiots that bring down the entire genre. It's about time that a real genuine hip hop album comes along to remind us what hip hop should sound like.

For those of you wondering why there are so many features, this is because Dr. Dre is more of a producer than a rapper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.