Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The popular SwiftKey keyboard for iPhone was today updated to add a fun new tracking feature, Emoji Insights. Emoji Insights gives users a look into their personal emoji usage habits, offering up data on top emoji used, signature emoji, and emoji state, as detailed below.
My Signature Emoji - The emoji you use more than other people. This emoji is generated by the emoji you overuse compared to the average - this is not the emoji you use most often.

My Top Emoji - The emoji you use most often. This is a cloud-like visualization of the emoji you use the most - the bigger the emoji in the 'cloud', the more you use it.

Emoji State - The US state that most reflects your emoji use. We looked at how people use emoji in each state and compared your emoji use to that data to generate this stat. Do your emoji match up with your home state, or somewhere totally different?
Emoji Insights within SwiftKey are accessible to all users who use SwiftKey Cloud, the feature that allows user preferences and learned language data to be backed up and synced across several different devices. Emoji data can be accessed and shared with family and friends via social networks through the My Profile option in the SwiftKey app.

swiftkeyinsights.jpg

SwiftKey has aimed to distinguish itself from other third-party keyboards through the inclusion of typing statistics and inside information on how the app works for each individual user. In April, the SwiftKey keyboard was updated with usage statistics, letting users get a look at words typed, distance Flow-ed, words predicted, words corrected, and more.

Today's new emoji usage statistics come seven months after the SwiftKey keyboard was updated to include both emoji and predictive emoji suggestions.

SwiftKey Keyboard can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: SwiftKey Keyboard for iPhone Gains New Emoji Insights Feature

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Actually I've never seen anyone use a third-party keyboard app.
I actually use this keyboard since it came out.
Since I write mostly write in two different languages... also within one message or even sentence... any other keyboard constantly messed up autocorrect.
This one here... however, lets you set two languages for ONE keyboard... eliminating the issue for me. Plus... it is black!

Reactions: S G

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I'd use 3rd party keyboards if they were more reliable… sometimes it lags when loading and in some places they just don't work at all. I know it's iOS fault, maybe in iOS 9 I'll give it a try again…

Also, kinda scary to have everything you type being communicated to some random server.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
In April, the SwiftKey keyboard was updated with usage statistics, letting users get a look at words typed, distance Flow-ed, words predicted, words corrected, and more.
Just think of the business applications:

"The proprietor of this new account really likes the word 'apposite', so I thought we'd put Pauslon on it given her frequent use of that word."

That's… really all I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: jclo and dweezle3

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
I'd use 3rd party keyboards if they were more reliable… sometimes it lags when loading and in some places they just don't work at all. I know it's iOS fault, maybe in iOS 9 I'll give it a try again…

Also, kinda scary to have everything you type being communicated to some random server.

According to developers, iOS 9 doesn't seem to fair much better :/

Agree with you on both points. Although I am very happy with swift key on android, I like the way it saved multiple email addresses, names, and learnt multiple medical jargon. However, their expedition into iOS has proved a failure, and very frustrating for this user, I have now deleted the app. I found that the keyboard would often fail load on multiple apps and on some occasions, even on the home screen search would fail. I found I would need to turn my phone on off several to reload it.

Secondly, I quite like the stock keyboard.

HerQ

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
The Netherlands
I am sorry to report that iOS 9 still is a horrible mess regarding keyboards, possibly even worse than it was in iOS 8. I have had keyboards not loading at all and in the end decided to switch back to the stock keyboard.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I am sorry to report that iOS 9 still is a horrible mess regarding keyboards, possibly even worse than it was in iOS 8. I have had keyboards not loading at all and in the end decided to switch back to the stock keyboard.
one reason I went to a android. my typing is horrible and swiftkeys helped with word prediction. but having to kill mail and imessage several times a day just got old.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Agree with you on both points. Although I am very happy with swift key on android, I like the way it saved multiple email addresses, names, and learnt multiple medical jargon. However, their expedition into iOS has proved a failure, and very frustrating for this user, I have now deleted the app. I found that the keyboard would often fail load on multiple apps and on some occasions, even on the home screen search would fail. I found I would need to turn my phone on off several to reload it.

Secondly, I quite like the stock keyboard.

I use this one too and am annoyed by the problems listed. It also seems everytime they update it the standard iOS keyboard keeps loading up first. I don't know if it's swiftkey or iOS that is the problem but they don't seem to work together well. When it's working it's great but it's annoying to have to keep setting it as the main keyboard almost every time you use it.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Apparently my most used 'emoji' are ™ and ©...

eIFKfZ6.jpg

Yeah, I don't know why either, but surely that makes me a fully-qualified copyright/trademark guru for purposes of all MacRumors legal discussion threads going forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.