Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just over two weeks to go until September 9, the expected date for Apple's next iPhone event, there's been some speculation that Apple might be planning to hold the event at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

As outlined by San Francisco news site Hoodline, the auditorium is booked for a private event through September 13, with SFPD officers and private security guards patrolling the perimeter of the building.

Documents filed with the San Francisco Planning Department say the event is a "trade show" set to run from September 4 until September 10, which lines up with the timeline when Apple is expected to hold its event, but there are some potential red flags that make it unclear whether Apple is the company booking the event space at the auditorium.

starlogo1-800x568.jpg

In investigating the documents filed with the Planning Department, MacRumors learned the space is being used by a company known as "Adams and Associates," which has no known ties to Apple. Additionally, there are very detailed documents that describe the removal of four window panels to accommodate an "exterior wall mounted star graphic sign." The star is depicted in two different ways in separate documents -- both as a standard star shape and as an oddly-shaped star with points at unusual angles.

As Hoodline suggests, it's possible the star-shaped logo is a placeholder for an Apple logo, but a structural document supplied by an engineer on the project includes detailed, specific calculations and drawings for the star shape that cast doubt on the theory that it could be a placeholder logo.

starlogo2-800x544.jpg

In past years, Apple has held its iPhone-centric September event at several different locations around the Bay Area, so it would not be unusual for the company to choose a previously unused event spot. Its 2014 event was at the Flint Center in Cupertino, while its 2011 and 2013 events were held at its own campus. In 2010 and 2012, the events were held at the Yerba Buena Center For the Arts.

It's not yet known if Apple is preparing the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium for its September 9 event, but with only 16 days to go until that date rolls around, we should be getting confirmation on Apple's plans in the form of media invites in the very near future.

Article Link: 'Trade Show' Plans at San Francisco Theater Spark Speculation of Apple Event Location

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Getting approvals for the window change and then substituting an Apple logo for a star seems easy enough. I'd guess locations and weight would be the specifics necessary.

How many companies with that name use that logo?
A conference with that many people (sits 6,000) seems like it'd be advertising by now...

Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazy

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
Maybe the star has something to with Film/movies etc... Unlikely, but just my 2.3 cents. ;) If it is for Apple this event is much larger than most anticipated. Maybe more is going on with the AppleTV announcement than the rumors lead us to believe

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA

archstan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Someone complaining on Sunday about the cost to the taxpayer of police presence

"I initially thought that this entourage of police and security guards was for a movie filming project. I hear that it would be for a 3-days truck unloading job at the Auditorium, and that Apple will hold an event there to introduce a new product"

Reactions: orbital~debris

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I kept thinking it was the BILLY Graham auditorium. Then the star might make sense as a religious symbol. But the venue was named after the famous concert promoter.
The auditorium was one of the only surviving buildings of the exposition, and began hosting events. In 1920, the venue hosted the Democratic National Convention. The arena was also home to the NBA's Golden State Warriors from 1964 to 1966. In the 1960s, the arena began hosting concerts. Many live bands have recorded live albums in this historic building.
I could definitely see Apple using this space. Maybe it was Iovine's idea.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Yeah, Apple's secretive fingerprints all over this one. And the "star" that happens to have the 5th point slightly to the right, where the leaf would be.

"Whether supporting a simple workshop environment or staging a complex international keynote and product roll-out, every Adams & Associates project is viewed as a unique opportunity to express key messages with consistency, passion and cost-effectiveness."

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The fact that this venue seats 6,000 to 7,000 makes me curious, though. That's bigger than WWDC...

Yeah, definitely makes one wonder. The 4S and 5s were both introduced at the Apple campus so you would've expected the same this time. If Apple needs that much space, it could indicate that this event will be bigger than a typical 's' model iPhone introduction, so the rumors of a huge 's' update, ATV 4 and iPad mini 4 might be true. All of those introductions and maybe "one more thing" might necessitate all of that space.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Was told that Adams and Associates is a old, old, old dummy corp that has been around since the Apple ][ days. I think this is the same front used to schedule the launch of the Mac back in '84. Those who know your Book of Genesis gets the reference and joke.

Last edited:

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Huh. Not to get too Zapruderific on this, but I did just notice the insert in "detail D-1," that shows a closeup of how the frame of the "star" would be bolted/attached... and it has a curved edge. Normally stars don't have curved edges. It would be the right spot for an apple bite tho.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 8.33.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 8.33.56 PM.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 26,007
Last edited:

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
The fact that this venue seats 6,000 to 7,000 makes me curious, though. That's bigger than WWDC...

It's definitely a bigger venue than usual, but keep in mind – that 6,000 capacity is for standing-room concerts. With seats it looks more like this:
upload_2015-8-24_21-4-16.png

...Still pretty damn big, but conceivable.

To me, there's no trade show that shuts down sidewalks, keeps private security on site who are forbidden from speaking to the media, and erects scaffolding at the back entrance – all for an event that supposedly takes place over the holiday weekend, and has no promotion (yet wants to affix a massive logo outside the center window of the entrance).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.