Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the company is partnering with PayAnywhere for a new mobile NFC card reader that will be able to attach to iOS devices and support Apple Pay transactions in any retail location, in addition to traditional credit card support (via CNBC). The reader will be available exclusively in Apple Stores beginning in September, with the chance for merchants signing up with a new PayAnywhere account to get the first $5,000 in Apple Pay transaction fees for free.

apple-pay-payanywhere-800x439.jpg
"We are very excited to launch sales exclusively in Apple Stores throughout the country," said Marc Gardner, CEO of PayAnywhere, in a statement. "To demonstrate how simple and easy it is to accept Apple Pay, we have chosen to offer all customers the first $5,000 free in Apple Pay transaction processing with a new PayAnywhere account."
The new reader will allow smaller businesses to begin supporting Apple's mobile payments service without much hassle, with the company noting that there is no confusing set-up or monthly fees needed to bring the reader into a retail space. Like other mobile payment readers, PayAnywhere lets merchants add in tips and discounts, email or print receipts, and receive detailed data on "what, where, and when" customers are purchasing items in a shop.

Ever since its launch last October, Apple Pay has slowly gained new support at retailers and financial institutions nationwide, and even grown to support hundreds of thousands of merchants outside of the United States.

Article Link: Apple Partners With PayAnywhere for Universal Apple Pay Card Reader

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Kinda a bummer that Apple iOS products don't already have all the required NFC antennas/chips to function this way without a bulky adapter.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
LOL at the people who are disappointed that the technology they just found out about today isn't already built into their iPhones.

Reactions: hxlover904

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Disappointed they didn't partner with Square — they have the best apps and hardware in my opinion, and already have a solution in the works: https://squareup.com/contactless-chip-reader

edit: fixed typo

I don't quite understand this whole partnership stuff. It's NFC so either is from square or this other company it will work. From a technological point of view there is no problem. This is more of a PR than anything.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Smart move. Small and medium businesses really have no excuse now as in the long run the equipment will pay for itself. Especially with the $5K being free of fees.
Except maybe not owning an iOS device that can use it.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Just by reading the above description, I couldn't picture what this gadget did or how it worked. But their website is very clear. With one of these, an iPad (or iPhone or even a Touch) and an appropriate app, any store can accept any kind of payment. As others have said, it's similar to Square. But I like the design of the PayAnywhere device a lot more.

Edit: I just noticed the cost. It's $12.99 per month, plus their transaction fee. I thought it was interesting that if you use their standard hardware, the fee is 1.69% per transaction. But if you use ApplePay (or any other mobile payment system), that fee jumps to 2.69% (but apparently eliminates the monthly fee).

Last edited:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Whoops. My bad.

Hence I said this is more of a PR article. I have known about the Square device for a few months now, not sure what is big deal here with this company. Plus it looks like with Square you won't even have to physically connect the device to your phone, I like their approach much better.

digitalFlack

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Silicon Valley
For comparison, Square sent around an offer yesterday, an Apple PayNFC and chip'n pin device that appears to be the same size.

They advertise free, but that means they refund your first $49.95 in transactions fees. After that it's Square: no monthly fee.

Next announcement should be Paypal, only recently in the card reader market.

JF

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Buy an iPod. Equipement write-off. (I'm sure many of these small/medium businesses already have iOS devices) Especially with the savings from no fees for the first $5K in sales.
If they have to buy stuff, they could as well get an actual reader. $5000 free is nice, but a bank fee is far from 2.69% per transaction. And it only applies for the first 6 months.

First $5,000 in Apple Pay transactions processed at no charge for six (6) months after account approval. Processing fees reimbursed via ACH credit. Offer applies only to merchants processing transactions using other payment methods in addition to Apple Pay, including but not limited to swiped and keyed transactions, at a commercially reasonable level.

If you're a small business and manage to have $5000 processing fee in 6 months, that means you've processed $185873.
Anyone who currently process that much already has another solution, meh thinks.
Otherwise, their offer is only here for the PR.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
If you're a small business and manage to have $5000 processing fee in 6 months, that means you've processed $185873.
Anyone who currently process that much already has another solution, meh thinks.

I think they mean $5000 charged, not $5000 in transaction fees. Thus ~$135.

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
If they have to buy stuff, they could as well get an actual reader. $5000 free is nice, but a bank fee is far from 2.69% per transaction. And it only applies for the first 6 months.

Many of these small businesses already have the equipment and it's really minimal costs. If money is an issue, buy used or refurbished. Making payments easier should/can increase sales. The transaction fee is as little as 1.69% for mobile use. And as another poster already stated, it's $5K in charges, not accrued fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.