Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to introduce the next iteration of its Apple TV lineup at next week's September 9 media event, alongside the expected announcement of new iPhones, and a previously rumored feature is gaining additional traction today with a report from BuzzFeed claiming the new Apple TV will have universal search functionality, letting users search once and get hits from multiple sources, not just iTunes.

appletv-800x550.jpg

Universal search feature will reportedly be a "cornerstone" of the new Apple TV, allowing users to, for example, search for one movie across services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and iTunes, among others. The ability to search for actors and directors will also be included in the search options, and won't limit users to just movie or television show titles.
Sources familiar with Apple's plans say that a cornerstone of the the company's new set-top box is a universal search feature that will enable searches across multiple streaming video services as well as Apple's iTunes Store. Instead of searching the catalogs of multiple video services one-at-a-time for a particular movie, you'll now be able to search all -- or most of them -- at once and then choose the service on which you'd like to watch it. You'll also be able to search for actors and directors, and run other more targeted searches as well -- all with Siri.
The report also claims that the new Apple TV will "start" at a price point of $149, hinting that there could be more expensive models with perhaps the possibility of expanded storage capacities. The $149 retail price does line up with previous rumors that pegged the Apple TV of launching with either a $149 or $199 price tag. The company has been said to be keeping the third-generation Apple TV, currently priced at $69, as an entry-level option.

Along with Siri integration, the next-generation Apple TV is rumored to feature an A8 processor, a touch-pad remote, and an App Store with an SDK available for developers to create apps. The new box will be aimed at more than just video consumption, with recent rumors hinting that the newly designed remote control will include motion sensors to support "casual" gaming experiences.

Update 8:52 AM: According to a follow-up report by 9to5Mac, the new Apple TV's onboard storage will be in the 8-16 GB range, and the touchpad remote included with the box will be black rather than the silver seen on the current Apple TV remote.

Article Link: New Apple TV to Start at $149, Feature Universal Search With Siri

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
I'd be surprised I mean if Apple want to move on and do there own version of Prime/Netflix it seems a bit odd for them to advertise another company on there own device would it not?
If they open the Apple TV up to app developers, I don't know what would be stopping Amazon from making a Prime Video app for the platform. Well, besides Apple's App Review team.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Would need to see this in action. But I am still not seeing anything that would suggest this could replace cable.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I can't wait!! My ATV2 is really getting on in age, although has been great. Hopefully with it running a more complex version of iOS there will be a jailbreak team on this to allow for more openness.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
If they open the Apple TV up to app developers, I don't know what would be stopping Amazon from making a Prime Video app for the platform. Well, besides Apple's App Review team.

True I mean they could add it on there for how ever long it takes them to develop there own streaming platform then give them the boot after.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is Prime not available on the current TV because of Apple or Amazon?

Reactions: unobtainium

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I can't wait!! My ATV2 is really getting on in age, although has been great. Hopefully with it running a more complex version of iOS there will be a jailbreak team on this to allow for more openness.

Miss using mine ATV3 hopefully if the new one is a good spec, ill get and will be in time for he house move

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
..... And lets also expect universal search on Apple TV 3 as well.

Look its time coming, but if its on the Mac and iPhone/iPad already, then Apple TV is late to the game...

Lets keep the ball rolling here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.