Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sphero, the company responsible for creating robotic balls that can be controlled by iPhones, today announced a remote-controlled BB-8, a droid from the upcoming film "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

While BB-8 can be controlled with an iPhone, it also comes with a patrol mode that allows the droid to roam around by himself. Users can also design their own routes and have BB-8 follow them. Additionally, Sphero says BB-8 has an "adaptive personality" and his "attitude" and actions will evolve the more a user interacts with him. BB-8 can also receive voice commands via the app, which means that a user can say "move forward" and BB-8 will move forward.

While Sphero developed this version of BB-8 as a connected toy, the company was instrumental in the development of the BB-8 droid used in the actual movie. The company was a part of Disney's accelerator program and was paired with Disney CEO Bob Iger as its mentor. When Iger visited with Sphero to see the robotic ball they were working on, he realized the technology could be used for BB-8, who at the time was still being designed. He connected Sphero to the filmmakers and special effects people behind the film and they collaborated on the real BB-8, which was shown off at the Star Wars Celebration convention in May.

The toy version of BB-8 will go on sale on September 4, 2015 as a part of "Force Friday," which is when toys and merchandise from "The Force Awakens" officially go on sale. BB-8 will be available for $149.99 at Sphero.com and Apple Stores.

Article Link: Sphero Announces iPhone-Controlled BB-8 Droid From 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

Reactions: 5105973

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
BS. It doesn't go on sale until midnight.
Yeah I've searched everywhere. Can't find it at all. Some best buys are selling them. They aren't suppose to but they are on the shelves. Thinking of heading by my local one. Otherwise going to Apple at open tomorrow morning. I don't think they are opening at midnight like everywhere else.

Reactions: BlueParadox

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
BB-8 is a work of genius. The sounds, the physics and the name.

That's one thing Lucas got right in the old movies. Every single one of the characters has the perfect name. The sounds of the names alone could be the subject of a marketing thesis. The beautifully chosen names for props, weapons and ships too. Boggles the mind.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Where were these toys when I was a kid!?

So tempted to buying it, but I know after a couple of weeks it'll just be lost somewhere into an abyss that is my room.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Supposed to go on sale at midnight at a bunch of retailers I've heard... just waiting another hour so I can order one.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Supposed to go on sale at midnight at a bunch of retailers I've heard... just waiting another hour so I can order one.
I'm pretty sure it's 12:01am PDT. Since most launches use Pacific timing for whatever reason. I'm hoping to order online from Apple or Best Buy at midnight for in store pick up.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's cute but my heart belongs to R2-D2. Isn't Artoo going to be in the new movie or was he scrapped?

Until I see the movie, I'm just not feeling this ball shaped droid. And I'm afraid of what my dog and cats will think about it. To them a sphere of any kind is fair game for chewing or swatting.

My old family of cats and my old dog were better around technology. They treated AIBO like one of their own. Unfortunately they've all passed away. My current dog stole I-Cybie and flung it around my bedroom on her first night here. The current cats pull off AIBO tails and ears.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Its fun looking but ultimately just a toy. Will be disappointing for regular daily use thinking it could be fun, that will wear off quickly. The 100 foot radius pretty much sums up the usability of this item, toy toy toy. Still for collectors or something for people to tinker with it looks fun. Not worth the price tag though.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's 12:01am PDT. Since most launches use Pacific timing for whatever reason. I'm hoping to order online from Apple or Best Buy at midnight for in store pick up.

Amazon and some other retailers are doing 12 EST for their launch. So it might be earlier.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
One hour of play time, three hours for charging.
Not too shabby. That would suit my attention span for a robot like this. I can't sit there for a whole hour and watch even a cute little robot just roll around my house picking up pet hair I'll have to pull off constantly. I can't speak for the kids but I predict about an hour for them, too.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Amazon and some other retailers are doing 12 EST for their launch. So it might be earlier.
I wonder if Amazon will do same day delivery on it in regions that they already offer same day delivery.

I'm hoping it goes live on Bestbuy.com 12 EST, so I can reserve for in store pickup! No way Apple is going live before 12PDT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.