Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_9_icon.jpg
Following the conclusion of today's iPhone-centric event in San Francisco, Apple has seeded the first betas of iOS 9.1 and Apple tvOS to developers. The betas were seeded alongside the iOS 9 Golden Master and the OS X 10.11 Golden Master. All of the beta software is available for download immediately from the Apple Developer Center.

tvOS, just announced today, is the operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV. It includes a full App Store and tools that will allow developers to create apps for the Apple TV.

iOS 9.1 is an upcoming update to iOS 9 that will include new features for the iPad Pro, adding support for accessories like the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil, both of which were designed for the 12.9-inch tablet.

tvOS will be available to the general public beginning in October, when the new Apple TV is released. iOS 9.1 will likely be released in November alongside the iPad Pro.

What's new in iOS 9.1:

Emoji - iOS 9.1 includes some long-awaited new emoji like the taco, unicorn, and burrito. These emoji are part of Unicode 8.

Hey Siri - In the Settings app, there's a new Siri setting that lets you give voice examples for the "Hey Siri" feature that can be activated whenever the iPhone is connected to power. With the new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, this will be essential because "Hey Siri" activation can be used even when an iPhone is not plugged in.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First iOS 9.1 and Apple tvOS Betas to Developers

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
My phone is stuck on the update to 9.1. After the iTunes clean install, then you swipe to upgrade..... stuck! Dangit. How do I go back to 9.0 GM?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
You can register for a free Apple TV through the developer portal.

Free? Where did you see that? When did I miss that? (I'm allowing that I might have missed it).
If you have a link please share!

I think you can register for an opportunity to get one, but I didn't hear it'd be free.
(Priority to published app developers first).

Gary

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Supplies are limited, developers with apps already live on the App Store will be given priority
It's
Free? Where did you see that? When did I miss that? (I'm allowing that I might have missed it).

I think you can register for an opportunity to get one, but I didn't hear it'd be free.

Gary
$1 for shipping / billing confirmation only.

gabriellefunk

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015

Gary
If you are selected, you are charged $1.00 to verify shipping and billing information but then it is sent to you for free. It is said on the Developer website (priority to published app developers first).

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Priority shipping meaning that you won't get it at all if you don't make the cut until it's officially released, yes?
If this only changes the priority, but not whether you will get it at all for 1$, then I'm game.

Glassed Silver:mac

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
Did anybody get the 9.1 update OTA ? I still not. (Of course my phone is registered with the dev account)

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
Did anybody get the 9.1 update OTA ? I still not. (Of course my phone is registered with the dev account)
I still haven't even gotten the GM update OTA, let alone 9.1.

In fact, we should receive 9.0GM over OTA. 9.1 will be via dev account or direct download

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
iOS 9.1 GM is still lagging and stutter compare to iOS 8.4 on iPhone 6....

When will they ever be more consistent with software quality these days... just WTF....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.