Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With four days to go until the launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, Apple is no longer offering launch-day delivery of any iPhone 6s or 6s Plus models ordered online and is no longer allowing customers to make reservations for in-store purchases, including through Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program, on Friday.

iphone_6s_1_2_weeks.jpg

While shipping estimates for iPhones 6s Plus models in particular quickly slipped to 2-3 weeks or longer following the start of pre-orders on September 12, many iPhone 6s models remained available for launch day delivery until today.

Customers looking to place online pre-orders for iPhone 6s models that had until recently remained available for launch day are now being quoted 1-2 week shipping with delivery in the range of September 29 through October 6 or later.

iphone_6s_reservations_down.jpg

Apple's in-store reservation system has been shut down entirely for the remainder of this week and will reopen at 8:00 AM on Saturday, September 26 to allow customers to reserve from each store's daily shipments of iPhones. Apple does still invite customers without reservations on Friday to attempt to purchase an iPhone, but unreserved supplies will likely be tight and lines long.

Article Link: Apple Ends Launch Day Online Pre-Orders and In-Store Reservations for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You could still preorder this AM (6AM Central), I was still directing people to that option this AM. Curious how this will affect those who are literally days away from contracts being up.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
I'm waiting for them to open up carrier limitations. I want to buy an AT&T 128GB Black 6S Plus, but I want to be able to put my T-Mobile SIM in it.

Don't hold your breath in the meantime, as the major carriers are resisting that here in the USA. Although, Apple did start trying to do just that recently with the iPad via a pre-installed multi-carrier SIM card, but it may be a while longer before the iPhone gets that capability too, if at all.

kromix

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2011
If your AT&T Contract is up, is this scenario possible or is there restrictions on either side of the fence that will prevent this:

Walk into Apple Store sign up for the Apple Upgrade Program and get a new iPhone.

Order Online on AT&T Store and sign a 2-year agreement and get a subsidized iPhone at $299 shipped to me.

Essentially having a contract with Apple through the program and a 2-year commitment for subsidized pricing through AT&T, can this happen?

Thanks.

Aloft085

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I don't get why you guys are so in love with preordering. Every year I've managed to get an iPhone on release day from a non-Apple dealer. I'd much rather stop by 2-3 stores and find my iPhone rather than wait 3 weeks. Just don't go to the cellphone carriers or Apple and you'll be fine.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I don't get why you guys are so in love with preordering. Every year I've managed to get an iPhone on release day from a non-Apple dealer. I'd much rather stop by 2-3 stores and find my iPhone rather than wait 3 weeks. Just don't go to the cellphone carriers or Apple and you'll be fine.

You'd rather visit multiple stores than have it delivered directly to your door on launch day?

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Don't hold your breath in the meantime, as the major carriers are resisting that here in the USA. Although, Apple did start trying to do just that recently with the iPad via a pre-installed multi-carrier SIM card, but it may be a while longer before the iPhone gets that capability too, if at all.
Actually, of the major carriers, Verizon and T-Mobile models all ship unlocked, and Sprint will generally unlock on request. AT&T is the one big holdout.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Somehow this seems sad to me. The whole fanfare for release date died with the watch. Now we pre-ordered two weeks ahead or reserved 4 days ahead. Waiting for release day and lining up at the apple store does not seem to be much of an option anymore. I actually enjoyed it and met great people. It is sad that Angela seems not interested in this at all.

Reactions: Xultar

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL

I preordered in 5 minutes and my phone (and my wife's) will be delivered to our door. Unlike, the time it will take to travel to multiple stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: freediverx

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Ahh yes marketing... gotta love it.

Best way to have huge pre-order sales from week 1 and long lines at the stores for those who didn't

And you sir win the prize! Exactly what I was thinking. Cut em off online to force them in line at the store.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
If you walk into an Apple Store and pay full price, they normally ask me what carrier. After that they don't care what SIM I end up putting in, I paid full price. When the phone first drops though, they need you to go through your carrier account. I could probably walk in on Day 1 and just buy the AT&T model full price and do whatever, I'm just limited by the fact nobody will have a 128GB 6S Plus with the additional Band 30 on Day 1. Maybe in a week or two, though.

I think in my case, the only thing I really missed out on was the opportunity to pre-order, because you have to go through the carrier.

geobrian

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
I'm one of the unlucky ones to pre-order this morning and get the '1-2 weeks' shipping estimate. I'm hoping it will be quicker than that if just yesterday I could have ordered and had guaranteed delivery on the 25th.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006

By pre-ordering from Apple you get the phone delivered directly to your home on the day it becomes available in stores. Why on earth would you want to go to some crappy reseller to buy an iPhone?

Last edited:
Reactions: APPLEFUNRF and OC40

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Actually, of the major carriers, Verizon and T-Mobile models all ship unlocked, and Sprint will generally unlock on request. AT&T is the one big holdout.

What are you going to do with an unlocked Verizon phone? Switch to Sprint? lol.

Unlocking is most useful for AT&T because they run on GSM, which is widely used all over the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.