Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been putting a significant focus on health-related topics in recent months, led by the Apple Watch's health and fitness sensors and associated app functionality. In fact, just a few weeks ago at its "Hey Siri" media event, the company showed off some Apple Watch apps that could help doctors keep track of patients and even read the heartbeat of a baby still in its mother's womb.

Now, the Apple Watch is becoming known as a lifesaver, as well, with a story emerging over the weekend about a teenage football player's abnormal after-practice heartrate and his Apple Watch's tracking that led him to determine something was seriously wrong.

watch-heartrate-lifesave-800x447.jpg

Paul Houle Jr., a 17-year-old Tabor Academy senior in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, discovered after practice one day that he had pain in his chest and back when taking deep breaths, along with a rapid heart rate.
"After practice I went and took a nap, my heart rate was still at 145." He went to the hospital, where he learned he had heart, liver and kidney failure, which could have been fatal if not for his watch.

"If my Apple Watch hadn't shown me it was 145, I would have done nothing about it."
Houle was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a condition that occurs after intense exercise results in the leaking of enzymes and proteins into the blood from muscle cells. Some cases can lead to kidney failure and can be fatal and when Houle arrived at the hospital he was suffering from simultaneous heart, liver, and kidney failure.

Although initially a skeptic of the Apple Watch, Houle's father is now a convert and has recently purchased Apple Watches for both himself and his wife, thankful for the lifesaving intervention of Apple's product in his son's life.

Since Houle's story surfaced late last week, word of the ordeal reached Apple CEO Tim Cook, who contacted Houle with a personal phone call a few days after his diagnosis and recovery. "I got a phone call from a California number," said Houle. "And he said 'Hello, my name is Tim Cook, CEO of Apple.'" Cook proceeded to offer the Cape Cod teenager a brand-new iPhone and a summer internship at the company's corporate headquarters in Cupertino next year.

Article Link: Teen Receives Call From Tim Cook, iPhone, and Apple Internship After Apple Watch Saves His Life

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
That's a nice story. Awesome that modern technology can save lives in this way. Also awesome that Tim Cook took the time to reach out to this young man. Well played Tim, well played!

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Aww nice story but I'm still not buying a smarthwatch until the battery life gets to lasting a week long cause I just don't see why I'd charge two devices per night. It's too much.

Reactions: MrGuder

Sotiros57

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Illinois, USA
Amazing story! This is why I am such a huge fan of the company. I got an Apple Watch last week for a similar reason! I'm going in for open-heart surgery in the next week or so and this really helps keep my heart rate logged. I have palpitations due to an arrhythmia problem and a 7cm aneurysm, so it's a big deal. Thankfully, I can send all of this information to my team of surgeons. I couldn't imagine not having this now! I know it sounds cheesy and tacky, but...

Thanks, Apple!

Sotiros57

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Illinois, USA
Aww nice story but I'm still not buying a smarthwatch until the battery life gets to lasting a week long cause I just don't see why I'd charge two devices per night. It's too much.

It's really not that bad. I thought the battery life would be terrible, but it lasts all day for me. Charging it isn't a hassle either, it's as simple as putting it on your nightstand. I was skeptical at first, but, this is something I'm not sure I could live without now.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Amazing story! This is why I am such a huge fan of the company. I got an Apple Watch last week for a similar reason! I'm going in for open-heart surgery in the next week or so and this really helps keep my heart rate logged. I have palpitations due to an arrhythmia problem and a 7cm aneurysm, so it's a big deal. Thankfully, I can send all of this information to my team of surgeons. I couldn't imagine not having this now! I know it sounds cheesy and tacky, but...

Thanks, Apple!
I honestly wish you all the best in seven days. I hope that watch won't show up on Craigslist in eight.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I wonder what the internship will be.

Probably just the usual intern grunt work stuff-getting coffee, making copies, maybe sitting in on a meeting or two.

My guess is that Apple has a number of internship programs for local HS/college kids, and it would not shock me if they retain/create a few spots for "feel good" stories like this one.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This is the main reason I'm holding out if it could last 3 or 4 days I'd really consider. This is a great story and think the health monitoring in the watch is an awesome feature.

Reactions: Sasparilla

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
His life was saved because he used a heart rate monitor. Nothing Apple specific to this...
It's just Apple jumping on a PR opportunity (Apple Watch saves lives).

What other heart rate monitor do you have attached to you all day, though? Apple made a heart rate monitor that some people (not me, yet) actually want to wear all day, and since this person wore his, he knew there was a problem.

It reminds me of a lesson the army learned a few years ago when they made eye protection that worked but looked dumb: nobody wore it because nobody wanted to look dumb. As a result, people kept having eye problems. The army redesigned the eye protection with a fashion company helping them make it not look dumb, and then suddenly everybody wore it, and eye problems stopped being a thing.

(I don't remember more specific details - I can't remember the exact problems they were having. I read about it in a book a few years ago... I think Better was the name of the book... it was a collection of anecdotes written by doctors.)

Last edited:

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I wonder what the internship will be.

Of course this is just a PR from Apple and Tim. Cook is no different from other people who now take advantage of current situation just so it makes them looks good and his company. If he just gave the boy a call and ask if he's better maybe offer some financial help for medication wouldn't be that bad. But throwing some Apple products and internship is just a plain PR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.