Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_9_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded the second iOS 9.1 beta to public beta testers, two weeks after seeding the first beta a day after its "Hey Siri" fall media event. Today's beta is the same as the second iOS 9.1 beta seeded to developers yesterday.

Public beta testers who already have iOS 9.1 installed can get the second beta as an over-the-air update, and those interested in getting early release software from Apple can sign up to participate in Apple's Beta Software Program.

iOS 9.1 is an update mainly designed for the iPad Pro, adding support for accessories like the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil, both of which require deep integration with iOS 9. It will also include support for the new Apple TV.

The update also includes support for Unicode 8, introducing new emoji like taco, burrito, hot dog, popcorn, turkey, cheese wedge, and more, and it includes a new Siri setting that lets users give voice examples for the "Hey Siri" feature that can be activated whenever the iPhone is connected to power. With the new iPhone 6s, the new feature will be essential because "Hey Siri" can be used even when an iPhone is not plugged in.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second iOS 9.1 Public Beta

RichB93

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Not sure if you'll be able to do this in future versions, but I was able to update to Developer version of 9.1 beta 2 before this release simply by deleting the iOS Beta Software profile and restarting.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmelrose

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2004
Orlando, FL
Is the only way to update public betas OTA, or is there an iTunes update option? My iTunes isn't finding an update, not sure if it's even supposed to. Thanks in advance

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Did anyone else get this yesterday, late afternoon? I'm a public tester...

PS: I deleted my Peanut butter profile and was still on 9.1. Maybe thats why I got it yesterday? I'm assuming the one I downloaded must have been the developer version...? (so confused and hating betas)

PS2: Public beta, not peanut butter. :oops:

Traviswet

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
"It includes a new Siri setting that lets users give voice examples for the "Hey Siri" feature that can be activated whenever the iPhone is connected to power."

I already have this feature in iOS 9, am I missing anything? Just turn off her Siri and turn it back on, then it will ask you for examples. My wife can't activate my iPhone anymore.

Reactions: coltconnn

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
So far, pretty good. It's still early days, so we've yet to spot anything too impressive but we have our cameras at the ready in case we see anything worth shooting. The jungle climate is wreaking havoc on my hair, but that was expected.
Remember the Kilimanjaro selfie xD

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Reactions: TheAppleFairy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.